Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$5-10 billion is cheap money to be a serious player in TSLA, and to share the tech
Every auto company needs this, they will all spend a lot more than that

Fords tiny 500m into tRivian was a signal of that
They need to be there, this is the fast track

License access to FSD/supercharging, they build vehicles on Elons platform
Can be to market Fast.

I would say the issue for elon is control

How can a serious financial arrangement be "confidential, mongo?
Thx.
Details haven't been announced and are under the control of the parties currently.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Something I don’t get. I understand that Tesla are sitting pretty having GF1, the best cell, the cheapest cell, a guaranteed supply for model 3 Fremont lines. They are not forced to bid for cells that are in limited supply like other automakers.

Yet for GF Shanghai, Tesla are content to outsource 2170s. Is this temporary? Do Tesla have superior buying power? Better relationships? Or is cell supply becoming commoditised?

I hope it’s temporary. I’d like to think that transporting loose cells prior to pack making is unnecessary and by eliminating it Tesla gains an important edge.

GF3 will need cells faster than new capacity can be brought on line by Tesla. Other suppliers may have capacity now or expansion in progress.

How can a serious financial arrangement be "confidential, mongo?
Thx.

This is significant information, why would it be left out... ?

Because it is privileged business sensitive information. Just like they will break put ZEV totals but not say who payed what. Or how they don't say how much they pay Panasonic.
It may be part of a sealed SEC filing, or may be disclosed once the cash changes hands.

True.
But, to me, I think of someone who is “struggling” as barely getting by to pay monthly bills. And “destitute” as someone is who behind on bills. Maybe different people interpret those words differently. Financially, both these people should not be buying a $50-60K car.

I didn't buy a new car until I had over $800K in liquid assets and no debt. I didn't spend $55K on a new car until I had over $2,000,000 in liquid assets. But that doesn't mean that plenty of people don't. And I'm not sure how it's even relevant to Tesla's business model. Tesla has no business worrying about whether some of their customers are making wise or poor financial decisions. They just need to appraise what the available market is.

I didn't buy a new car until I had over $800K in liquid assets and no debt. I didn't spend $55K on a new car until I had over $2,000,000 in liquid assets. But that doesn't mean that plenty of people don't. And I'm not sure how it's even relevant to Tesla's business model. Tesla has no business worrying about whether some of their customers are making wise or poor financial decisions. They just need to appraise what the available market is.

Bro, you need to live a little..lol

[...]
VW has committed something like $70 billion to EVs
Every company is trying to get there, and having issues.
TSLA has been there, done that, has working solutions

It is a major opportunity for them,
and a way for tesla to secure the future.
To stabilize, execute.
Breathe

Depends on the structure of the deal,
and likely how much control Elon would have.
How much tech to share, network/FSD/Supercharging
He has what they need.

Partnership, vs a buyout.

Except they have nothing that Tesla needs. Adding more wasteful battery production lines does not have the same quality as improving yield on the existing lines. Tesla is doing the necessary steps. The 'ugly results' of the last quarter mean nothing in terms of teslas viability. Its a transient problem.
To quote Steve jobs:

Haha! I had more fun investing the money and watching my worries about the future melt away! Now I can buy any car I want without worry.

Did you invest in Tesla? This company is not what I call "watching my worries about the future melt away". I think it'll give me cancer before I can enjoy the fruits of its returns.

I don't short stocks, dont have the stomach for it.
Tesla investor, looking to re-up, 247 is taunting me.
(Holding out for a report on SEC, midnight is the deadline, i am told)

But thanks anyway!
VW has committed something like $70 billion to EVs
Every company is trying to get there, and having issues.
TSLA has been there, done that, has working solutions

It is a major opportunity for them,
and a way for tesla to secure the future.
To stabilize, execute.
Breathe

Depends on the structure of the deal,
and likely how much control Elon would have.
How much tech to share, network/FSD/Supercharging
He has what they need.

Partnership, vs a buyout.
Assuming Tesla's Q2 and the remainder of the year guidance is fairly correct, Tesla will be doing just fine. Building up cash, setting up greater and more efficient production lines, and starting production of the Y, which will most likely be a cash cow. Once Shanghai is up and running at 3,000+ per week, it should be a whole new ballgame. If they change over to continual global sales in Q2 then this quarter may look a little rough in terms of profit, but after that, things should be much smoother. Of course, Tesla always finds ways to hit another rough spot. However, the time for a buyer has really come and gone. That ship has sailed, unless they are wrong about demand. If sustainable demand is lower than expected and takes longer to grow, then they will need cash.

Did you invest in Tesla? This company is not what I call "watching my worries about the future melt away". I think it'll give me cancer before I can enjoy the fruits of its returns.

I have a small position just for fun (and I do think it won't be a bad long-term investment). I added 100 shares today. The secret with investing worry-free is not to invest any money you can't afford to lose and don't be too attached to your money. That's why I wasn't buying new cars before I could afford them. When your needs are small, you can afford to invest with more gusto.

I do think that there's one big unanswered question:
Given that Q2 was earlier projected to be profitable, why is this no longer the case despite a significant number of Q1 deliveries slipping to Q2?
Perhaps not big, just unanswered:

Philippe Houchois
wondering if you could comment on the agreement you seem to have reached with FCA on the possibility of selling your CO2 credits to them in Europe and what that means to your potential cash inflow. When that might start occurring?

Elon Musk
I think it’s a confidential deal with FCA so we and we agreed with FCA not to comment on it publicly so we must abide by that.

Philippe Houchois
...why don’t you reduce some of it
{the drama} by disclosing on a monthly basis your deliveries and also maybe disclosing early your greenhouse revenue instead of just reserves so we get right away a better view on some of these details that kind of move the stock.

Elon Musk
I think that would actually be counterproductive because people read too much into what occurred in a month. I mean, even at a quarterly basis, things can be lumpy. And so the more granularity that’s provided on a monthly level, the few would reach all sorts of conclusions that doesn’t makes sense.... people read that would increase the drama, not decrease it.

David Tambourino
... on customer deposits, it looks like it’s essentially flat to maybe slightly down. I understand it’s probably some timing with deliveries that could have helped it towards the end of the quarter. But we would have thought it would have increased given the Model Y ...So, our question is what was the initial order intake for the Model Y? And just coming through combing some of your comment earlier, what daily order rate are you seeing right now for the rest of your products?

Elon Musk
I think we don’t want to comment on the granularity of deposits. Again, people read too much into this. We’re not playing of the Model Y because we’re just not in production so you can’t really read anything into Model Y orders at this point.

David Tambourino
... [Do] you anticipate a further price adjustment the next level view credit phasing out July 1?

Elon Musk
We don’t comment on future price changes unless you see it publicly.

Colin Rusch
...as you look at the Maxwell Technology integration, post close, how quickly do you think you’ll be able to integrate that technology into the battery production? And could you comment on potential for chemistry and form factor changes as you get it integrated?

Elon Musk
I mean, you’re really asking some pretty super secret sauce questions here.

Colin Langan
...do you have a battery supplier yet that’s getting pretty close to the point? { for GF-3}

Elon Musk
... we expect to have multiple cell suppliers for Shanghai Giga.

I didn't buy a new car until I had over $800K in liquid assets and no debt. I didn't spend $55K on a new car until I had over $2,000,000 in liquid assets.

You, good sir. I like you. I'm following a similar path myself. I took an M3's worth of money and threw it at TSLA. As of last March, I had enough for a 2020 Roadster. Now it's down to a Model S, unfortunately. Been a rough month.