Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Twitter posts:

My Model 3 saved my family from a crash today. A pickup in my right lane
suddenly jumped into my lane and see how this guy reacted.
It is amazing. @Tesla @elonmusk .. can't thank enough. @teslaownersSV

I was on AP. It detected early and accelerated away to the next lane.
I also reacted but no way could have void the crash without the help of autopilot.

I plugged-in USB storage drive and the car automatically keeps recording.
If you want to save the clips (last 10 min), you can tap the record icon
and it saves in a separate folder for easier access.

With that sudden jump, I wouldn't have avoided without the car swaying away.
It almost felt like a two wheeler taking a sharp turn.

Breaking wouldn't have avoided the collision. My car swayed away before
I would have naturally reacted with braking. There was a SUV on the left
lane but had enough room and my car came back to my lane.
Attaching the video from the left.

Thread:
Raghu Konka on Twitter

Price. Young families are struggling these days.

That's true based on what I see around me. But then why don't they get an ICE for half the price of a Model Y? It would take at least 5-10 years gas (& maintenance) savings to justify the price difference between a Honda CR-V and a Model Y. I see numerous families with high end SUVs, but they can most definitely afford the X too. FSD is a great idea on paper, but I'd rather wait to place an order until it launches in my state (and I'm sure my wife would say the same thing if I pitched her the idea of getting a Model Y).

Last edited:
Reactions: KSilver2000
There are states in between “destitute” and “money is no object”.

True.
But, to me, I think of someone who is “struggling” as barely getting by to pay monthly bills. And “destitute” as someone is who behind on bills. Maybe different people interpret those words differently. Financially, both these people should not be buying a $50-60K car.

Reactions: Mobius484 and Icer
True.
But, to me, I think of someone who is “struggling” as barely getting by to pay monthly bills. And “destitute” as someone is who behind on bills. Maybe different people interpret those words differently. Financially, both these people should not be buying a $50-60K car.

Sorry, I was being a little hyperbolic. But point being: there are very many who can afford a 50/60k car but can’t afford an $80/90k car. I’d argue far more than who can afford the latter. And then there’re those whose needs are met by the lower cost car and don’t feel like stretching all the way up(me).

Arguably, they did. A shortfall from 35 GWh of production capacity to 24 GWh of production is a pretty extreme scrap/downtime percentage. I think they probably "needed" about 30 GWh to do 7K/week on Model 3 and ramp up Powerwall/Powerpack, which still allows for a large rate of scrap/downtime.

Panasonic screwed up bad.
Math is wrong. 24 GWh supports way more.

$5-10 billion is cheap money to be a serious player in TSLA, and to share the tech
Every auto company needs this, they will all spend a lot more than that

Fords tiny 500m into tRivian was a signal of that
They need to be there, this is the fast track

License access to FSD/supercharging, they build vehicles on Elons platform
Can be to market Fast.

I would say the issue for elon is control

How can a serious financial arrangement be "confidential, mongo?
Thx.

You are pushing the real short hypothesis: Tesla can be stopped with enough money.*

If Tesla fails, all the other auto companies will cease any pretense of making viable EV's.

Yes, your $5-$10 billion would indeed be a cheap way to stop Tesla by diluting or otherwise removing Elon from control. I doubt any sensible shareholder would want to see that.

I'm completely comfortable with shorts continuing to pour shares into the market. Please do spend more of the money of whomever would see Tesla fail! Let them and theirs go ahead spread the FUD (sad about the papers' reputations, I suppose) and make the threats (to destroy the cars, to blackmail fund managers, etc. tsk tsk). This just lengthens and improves the purchasing window for us long-term longs.

The shorts' unwind may or may not be a squeeze, but it will still be something relatively substantial for us longs. Please, spend and also borrow so you can spend more! I can wait. :)

Elon and Tesla are actually doing a fantastic job. If they weren't, why would we be hearing so much nonsense over a few to-be-expected bumps in the ride?

* BTW, it can't be for what will be, in hindsight for many, obvious reasons.

Cameras definitely aren’t “easier”, but the problem of producing accurate 3d info out of stereo cameras is completely trivial vs. pretty much everything else involved. The things LiDAR sidesteps that makes it easier to work with than cameras are the same things you have to solve anyway for everything else involved in actually driving. That’s why LiDAR is very good for producing demos and getting something partially working quickly but doesn’t actually help solve the overall task.

My perspective on this. When I did my master thesis we could choose between doing Lidar SLAM or Camera SLAM. We choose Lidar because we felt it suited us better compared to the other team who were more suited for the camera project.

The camera team had it somewhat easier because they could pretty much just download ORBSLAM and have a fancy demo running without too much work. We as the Lidar team had struggle with many of the steps ourselves, such as key point extraction and feature descriptors, which back then was far from trivial. But we had an easier time with particle filters etc for positioning.

It seems that we have two fields converging:
- Probabilistic Robotics, Sebastian Thrun et al. Particle filter, graphSLAM and classical hand made tools trying a little bit of Machine Learning
- Computer Vision, Andrej Karpathy et al. CNN and other computer science tools trying a little bit of Robotics

The probabilistic robotics guys love their Lidars, it works in the same bird’s eye framework as they see the world. The Computer Vision guys love their cameras, the input comes in a nice structured matrix, the same way as they see the world.

We are now seeing deep learning making great depth maps out of camera images and we are seeing classical point clouds from camera images making great object detections. The first runs great on GPUs/TPUs, the latter will complicate how to pipe the code a lot... But the main takeaway is that the two fields are starting to overlap. A very interesting fusion of domains that will confuse a lot of people in both domains.

We are at a time where we have a lot more computer scientists coding than we have roboticists coding, but we have more roboticists building vehicles than we have computer scientists building vehicles. Cameras are cheaper, they are passive sensors. Lidars are getting cheaper fast but there will likely always be a difference of some magnitudes. Lidars rely less on intelligence, if you don’t get a reading in front of you, you can be pretty certain that there is free space in front of you. But with some clever software and a gigantic amount of data the camera is catching up. Thus the price and power benefits starts to favor the camera.

Imo at this point, cameras are easier to work with but hard to do well. Lidars are hard to work with, but easier to do well. I think Teslas approach will turn out to be the right one and I am very impressed by Elon’s ability of coming to this conclusion much earlier than most other experts. I was wrong on this.

Last edited:
Elon's hubris is troubling.

I'm just tired of stuff like "alien dreadnought" and then we're out here still struggling with 5k a week.
It sounds like each production line they build from here on out will become more efficient than the last, but I am wondering how long it will take until they reach a similar efficiency to the traditional car manufacturers. As I understand it, they are still well behind them even with the model 3 at this point. Using info from Troy (Teslike), model 3 production in terms of vehicles produced per employee per year is at 64% compared with the original NUMMI factory. Maybe once they produce the cells and packs in the same building as the cars, the efficiency will take a big jump forward.

Um. These are huge buys from Ark today and suggest inside knowledge. I track their buys everyday and never seen something like this. Elon and Cathie are pretty close and this suggests something...

View attachment 400633
Encouraging sign in a sea of negativity. I thought my prior purchases around $290-$300 were money in the bank, however.

I think the most likely reason for decline in deposits is that Tesla has, through incompetence and chaos, proven to customers that placing a deposit doesn't get you a damn thing, not even priority in line. I'm surprised they're as high as they are.

This was a very serious mistake. Reservation deposits were a good source of cash flow for Tesla. It's dead because Tesla failed to honor reservation priority, and I mean catastrophically failed to -- someone making a fresh order for an identical configuration in the same delivery location was getting their car ahead of a person who'd had their reservation for two years and configured as soon as possible.
Taking actual orders though, as they are doing with the Y, is a much better approach as has been discussed previously. Tesla, and customers, learned this lesson the hard way.

Reactions: Artful Dodger
Perhaps they don't want their kids breathing the exhaust fumes, or perhaps they want the safety.

I really wish you were right about this. I hope you are. :((
But I think for most families putting that saved $5-15-20k into a collage fund is more important than exhaust. Especially that most of the people in my apartment building don't even care about properly separating their trash from their cans and bottles.

You are pushing the real short hypothesis: Tesla can be stopped with enough money.*

Yes, your $5-$10 billion would indeed be a cheap way to stop Tesla by diluting or otherwise removing Elon from control. I doubt any sensible shareholder would want to see that.

I'm completely comfortable with shorts continuing to pour shares into the market. Please do spend more of the money of whomever would see Tesla fail! .

I don't short stocks, dont have the stomach for it.
Tesla investor, looking to re-up, 247 is taunting me.
(Holding out for a report on SEC, midnight is the deadline, i am told)

But thanks anyway!
VW has committed something like $70 billion to EVs
Every company is trying to get there, and having issues.
TSLA has been there, done that, has working solutions

It is a major opportunity for them,
and a way for tesla to secure the future.
To stabilize, execute.
Breathe

Depends on the structure of the deal,
and likely how much control Elon would have.
How much tech to share, network/FSD/Supercharging
He has what they need.

Partnership, vs a buyout.