Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why would it get gobbled up if Tesla/Musk doesn't want to sell it. Which in all likelihood they won't want to. As others are suggesting there is a lot of big money that I think can throw funds into this in preference to a buyout.
Musk owns less than 20% of Tesla. He doesn't own it exclusively now, says he doesn't want to either (he's the anti-zuckerberg). But the hostile owners of TSLA can dump 1M shares of TSLA in a NY MINUTE to punish the stock and reap the weak longs.

Debating on trying to take advantage of the low stock price for probably the next 2-4 month. I'd welcome any chiming in.

I have a few buys in the 310-315 range. Thinking of selling those shares to book in the loss and then buying back those shares in 30 days. I'm pretty sure the stock won't be significantly higher in 30 days, definitely not back to 315/share. I know I'm going to be selling some other stocks later in the year and I will have gains on those stocks. So I'm thinking I might as well try to eliminate the tax I'll pay on those gains.

I was really hoping we'd get the SEC agreement yesterday. The fact that we didn't and the stock dropped another 10% between yesterday and today has me kicking myself for not doing my tax strategy sooner lol

Buying high (300's range) and selling low (eg. now at $235 per share) is exactly what the shorts want you to do. You are deep now in the red. This is no advice, but if it was me, I would hold until the storms clear...and that may not happen until Q3 this year. If you can afford to hold, that is.

I was long since 2015 and sold everything just after the opening bell today to eek out a 3% gain. My average price was 237 per share, and we are under that now...I would be in the red now if I didn't sell this morning. Sure, I should have sold in the 300's...made a nice gain..oh well. But I did get out before any losses. I learned hard lessons years ago with Apple stock. Anyway, I will monitor and buy back in when the dust settles. But for now I've dipped my toes into Disney.... ;)

This has finally reached my breaking point. I have liquidated substantial (for me) safe, income yielding assets in order to buy more TSLA. I really do not expect any major gains for some time, but this is a ridiculous situation.

FWIW, any serious investor should IMHO examine some TSLA accounting policies and business policy changes:
First, they recognize income for any product sale only when title is executed and payment has been received.

Second, they are VERY conservative in treatment of residual values/resale guarantees (quick calculations on those two should be done by investors who just might figure out they're recognizing value loss in this quarter on all vehicles subject to those agreements even though actual incidence of loss, if any, would apply to much less than 50% of vehicles due to numerous exceptions).

Third, actual ASP's and further market expansion to places where there are pre-existing order backlogs for Model 3 strongly suggest there is no demand problem.
Fourth, China and GF-3 are clearly and obviously ahead of schedule.

Fifth, continuing battery shortages mean there is still much more opportunity for better GM's on storage and cars.

Sixth, if Elon has made one thing abundantly clear it is that he fully intends to reduce EOQ rush, improve customer service and further improve vehicle/battery longevity while reducing maintenance/repair.

Lastly, just look at the GM's. How is it possible to complain about those? Obviously, foolish people and professional cynics can do so, but nobody who knows the auto industry can imagine TSLA GM's to anything other than highly bullish, even in a disastrous quarter.

So, FUD or no, I am once again increasing my TSLA holdings. Luckily for me my average cost is still in the green even though I kept buying small amounts even above $350. I do not regret it, but I am a very long term investor so I don't expect to do too much timing...except now, again.

I think you would do well taking this to friends/family/neighbors/colleagues. Here, it’s just preaching to the choir.

In fact, I believe everyone here that has mentioned about sharing their experience of owning a Tesla to others could also do the same with TSLA if you truly believe it.

There is zero chance that companies like Ford with lots of cash and not much strength in these areas aren't watching closely. Heck, even those long standing apple rumors, if TSLA goes low enough all sorts of vultures might come out of the woodwork.

Apple buys $20 billion worth of it's own stock every year, and has $26 billion in cash. Under $200 SP it could take over Tesla with ease if it wanted to... $300+ SP is much harder.

I have to wonder if the shorts have managed to attack the Maxwell deal by driving the price well below the $245.90 price.

The loss of the MXWL acquisition would not make me happy but this deal is over my pay grade.

"In the event that the Tesla Trading Price is equal to or less than $245.90, the minimum will apply and each share of Maxwell Common Stock validly tendered and not validly withdrawn will be exchanged for 0.0193 of a share of Tesla Common Stock."

Open questions for me are the status of the deal (does this wording still apply?) and what is involved in "valid withdrawal" of the shares?

Broke past the downward channel. New TA trends are forming. In a somewhat unknown territory

Going back to trend channel before M3.

Loweest bound $140, lower bound 180 mid range 200 higher bound 280. Fib 50% is 282. So new ceiling should be about 280 until robo taxi. Until we can prove 1 year of profitability. Unfortunately due to this event, ppl will be skeptical even with 2 qtr of profits.

Two thing on surface:
1.robinhood crowd is buying this dip like never before
2. short volume is at peak too, using bad Q1 to press it below any reasonable levels

I suggest, this bearish raid is trying to achieve some kind of retail stop-loss avalanche

To me, this is an amazing setup, tons of energy on both sides. Whoever gives up first, we will see an incredible sickening flight.
What strengthens my faith - bearish cards are mostly played now, SEC won't remove Musk, bad Q1 is in the past now. Bullish side has plenty of unplayed cards - Tesla is spawning SC network and building GF in Asia, FSD showing progress, insurance, FCA payment is something so special they have to keep their mouths shut despite I see how itching they're to reveal. And at last, some day Donnie will get his china deal signed. I wish I could add more stock.

Gets a bit murky now under $243 but personally I'm looking at ~ $213 or $180. Slightly under $200 is a certainly a possibility too.
Indeed. Ive said for months now there is no support between 245!l and COUGH $185. Round numbers will provide some support as well as levels in the 210-220 ranges where many analysts have price targets.

As I said yesterday. I don’t know exactly yet where this ends.

I think those who kept powder dry will be rewarded though, just not yet

Last edited:
Someone who wants to use Tesla's brand and IP as a paypig instead of advancing the mission.

Sickening thoughts... When I read that Ford bought into Rivian (to build an F-150 and Mustang BEV), I got this flashback of the Windshield Wiper Delay invention and the Tucker car - only 50 were made.

I'm debating selling my ARK and going full on Tesla. Where is the bottom technically speaking?

I'm surprised no one has pointed out a high priority reason for a family to get a Tesla. The Y isn't in production yet, but it will very likely be one of the four safest cars ever tested.

Believe it or not, some of us with families value that.

Believe it or not, not many people spend more money on safer cars. Toyota and Lexus didn't suffer catastrophic sale decline after self acceleration (almost like self driving just blindly:p)

The most deciding factor is actually cost, matter of fact, TCO. why Toyota command higher price? They enjoy a reputation earned by decades of hard work. Although now their cars are not that much better.

Long term people will realize Tesla's last twice as long and hardly need any maintenance. Even Toyota s need oil change, belt change, much more frequent brake job, corolla's starter and some models alternators are prone to fail, and there are engine sludge problem. TCO of Tesla cars are lower over long period of time. This will be more true over time.

Unfortunately it takes a really long time for people to realize this. Toyota came to U.S. in the 50s, it took them 20 years to earn the reputation they enjoy today