Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To my knowledge we just saw the first ever appearance of a Tesla item on Slickdeals front page.

Very exciting popular culture corner turned!

Screenshot_20190429-165150.jpg

Nothing is true until verified by a Cornellian. The finest members of TMC went to Cornell. It's not a coincidence that Tesla's color are copied from Cornell. Elon wished he could have made it into Cornell instead of UPenn (yuck!)
Yeah... great Cornelians like David Einhorn..... don't lie you know you guys are a public school and are only in the Ivy Leagues by accident

Here is the longer explanationby the Dutch EV rental company that shut down partly due to Tesla's spare part shortage:

It wasn't one issue with the Teslas that killed our business. Summarized you could say that it were diverse issues, but the main problem was that there is just no proper supply chain for replacement parts. Many Tesla owners have these problems too but they get a loaner Tesla or ICE vehicle, so they don't feel the pain directly. As a rental company we did not get a loaner (and even if we did, we could not rent it to our customers). In the second half of 2018 we had a lot of technical issues. One S had a broken steering rack which took 14 months to repair. And our white X (which we especially use for weddings) had to wait for 6 weeks for a new front bumper in the middle of the wedding season. Things like these drained the company. Take in mind that we are a startup, still investing in growing our EV fleet. Next to the costs, the amount of labour put in problem solving with the Teslas was just too much. We lost so much time on this, while we should be running/building our business. In december things escalated quite quickly when all of a sudden 6 out of 12 Teslas where out of business due to technical issues or damage repairs, which had in common that there are just no parts. We had 8 out of 12 Teslas with the same steering rack problem. Some of them where still usable, but the question was for how much longer. In december we contacted Tesla right away about the issues. But it took weeks to get a response, and even after that, the response was vague. Upon today, it is not clear why they did not respond right away. The only explanation we got sometime in February is that the Business Resolutions dept in Amsterdam had a solution for our problems in december and did not communicate it to us, or they had a solution and the person within Tesla who should communicatie it to us did not communicate this to us. This does not feel like a proper answer. We asked for an explanation but never got it. Tesla did ask last week for a statement from us in English so they could forward our issues to the States, so it is still a work in progress apparently. But since our 12 Teslas where our core business, it is too late to let EC-Rent survive. So we do not know what will happen even after a reply from Tesla. It looks like it's game over for us. Too bad, because business was growing, 2019 would be 200% sure a record year and the midsize EV rentals (Hyundai Ioniq/Kona, Nissan Leaf, BMW i3) where growing very fast to become a mature product too. Unfortunately it was too early to forget about the Teslas and scale up with just the midsize rentals. That market wasn't mature enough yet. So, that's it, the end of the EC-Rent story in 10 tweets.

There is one thing that bothers me that I kind of agree with the bears. Hope the smart folks here in TMC can provide some light into it:

Musk sometime in January said, there is a possibility that Tesla might see a small profit in Q1. That statement is totally disconnected with what happened with a whopping loss much severe than even the bears were predicting.

Was Musk totally removed from happenings on the ground that he didn't see such a big loss coming? Or was he just making up his own alternate facts?

The market rightly punished the stock, not just for the huge loss, but the total lack of credibility in Musk's observations and numbers he throws out without giving it a lot of thought. I mean, if a CEO can't even see such a huge loss looming ahead in just two months, but instead suggests that they could be mildly profitable - if I were in institutional investor, I will be pissed off too.

There is one thing that bothers me that I kind of agree with the bears. Hope the smart folks here in TMC can provide some light into it:

Musk sometime in January said, there is a possibility that Tesla might see a small profit in Q1. That statement is totally disconnected with what happened with a whopping loss much severe than even the bears were predicting.

Was Musk totally removed from happenings on the ground that he didn't see such a big loss coming? Or was he just making up his own alternate facts?

The market rightly punished the stock, not just for the huge loss, but the total lack of credibility in Musk's observations and numbers he throws out without giving it a lot of thought. I mean, if a CEO can't even see such a huge loss looming ahead in just two months, but instead suggests that they could be mildly profitable - if I were in institutional investor, I will be pissed off too.

Evidence I’ve seen suggests it came down to a few unforeseen factors:

1. (Very) late delivery of parts for European-spec Model 3’s, leaving the Model 3 lines basically sitting around twiddling thumbs for a while

2. SNAFU’s with Model 3 deliveries in Europe/China

3. Seemingly enormous delays in getting refreshed S/X lines up and running.

He did update expectations partway in to forecast a loss, but I think he just didn’t expect any of those things, let alone all of them.

He corrected himself mid quarter and announced Tesla will not be profitable in Q1. Remember, scaling globally is a huge undertaking and has lots of unforeseen challenges. Getting cars overseas is a complicated logistical problem. Yes they stumbled but they have lots of cars in transit and they’re working on alleviating their logistics headaches.

Remember the Chinese held up deliveries. I don’t think Tesla expected these issues.

Nearly 4,700 Tesla Model 3 cars held by China customs, report says

They only missed by 700M$. If they had sold another 60k model 3's they would have hit guidance. Anyone can make that mistake.