Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is one thing that bothers me that I kind of agree with the bears. Hope the smart folks here in TMC can provide some light into it:

Musk sometime in January said, there is a possibility that Tesla might see a small profit in Q1. That statement is totally disconnected with what happened with a whopping loss much severe than even the bears were predicting.

Was Musk totally removed from happenings on the ground that he didn't see such a big loss coming? Or was he just making up his own alternate facts?

The market rightly punished the stock, not just for the huge loss, but the total lack of credibility in Musk's observations and numbers he throws out without giving it a lot of thought. I mean, if a CEO can't even see such a huge loss looming ahead in just two months, but instead suggests that they could be mildly profitable - if I were in institutional investor, I will be pissed off too.
1) the difficulties of a global supply chain /and distribution network
2) quarterly reports are like the weather ... just like in climate change the weather is not the concern, if you are long term investor you are concerned with long term sales and profit growth one bad quarter is just like a hot spell.
3) Elon is a visionary CEO and he needs an Operations Officer to discuss these mundane delivery statistics accurately ...to the analysts
4) I think they mis-judged the impact the expiration of the tax credit to 50% and the seasonally weak 1st quarter combination ... maybe a bit of Hubris on Teslas part but after 4Q18 it is to be expected

Does anyone know what the new inventory level of S+X is ? At the end of Q1 there were 20k Model 3s in inventory. As they unwind the wave, I expect the inventory levels to go up.

Once they fill the pipeline, 30k Inventory for Model 3 seems possible - about 1 month of sales. Similarly S+X we should expect about 8k.

Reactions: neroden
69D16442-1015-4B40-9127-9976CD537F26.jpeg B518E5C9-8036-4C21-A80D-E73533EB9147.jpeg C0222311-E5CC-4D62-A7F3-BFC089CEFA57.jpeg
??????
Please elucidate. I have never noticed a difference in Texas traffic lights.

In lots of areas, instead of vertical it’s hung horizontal; and instead of being perpendicular at intersections I’ve seen them criss cross on wires/cables.

I’ve seem both types in Houston area. The one below confused me for about 10 seconds.

Attachments

• 281096D5-806D-4E0F-A8D7-F0B87AC1BBB9.jpeg
    281096D5-806D-4E0F-A8D7-F0B87AC1BBB9.jpeg
    14.5 KB · Views: 57
View attachment 402312 View attachment 402310 View attachment 402311

In lots of areas, instead of vertical it’s hung horizontal; and instead of being perpendicular at intersections I’ve seen them criss cross on wires/cables.

I’ve seem both types in Houston area. The one below confused me for about 10 seconds.
Ah, I see. Yes, in Houston they are transitioning all the wire-mounted vertical to arm-mounted horizontal. The reason is tropical storm/hurricane winds. The swinging wire-mounted signals get absolutely nuked by high winds.

Last edited:
View attachment 402312 View attachment 402310 View attachment 402311

These are quite common - I've seen them in WA and MO as well.

BTW, these are very easy compared to the kind of edge cases Karpathy showed in the youtube video.

business-jargon.jpg

The minimum resolvable detail for any electromagnetic-based sensor system (non-SAR) is proportional to the product of the wavelength and the aperture size. E.g. for a given aperture, radar resolutions will be orders of magnitude lower than optical. You can of course increase the resolution with a larger antenna (or multiple antennas acting as a larger antenna via interferometry).

Side lobes apply to visual-spectrum optics as well (airy disk). The larger the aperture relative to the wavelength, the narrower both the main beam and the side lobes become.
OT but an interesting aside regarding the radar. It was about 3 years ago I think that Musk mentioned using a point cloud of radar images for FSD. Very recently, I heard from a former colleague who had left to form a couple of startups. One was autonomous vehicle radar tech.
They sent me a vid from their latest vehicle radar test (still in development). I think it was exactly what Elon was talking about, a point cloud of dots representing a human (regular video showing person moving in camera and radar image). Very impressive, with range precision of cm or so and angular spacing of return "dots" only separated by a few cm at distance of maybe 10 meters.
Significant RF+DSP tech IMO. Anyway, I asked if they had checked-in with Tesla (these folks are also in SV, of course) on this and was told, 'yes but Tesla was "non-responsive"'. However, GM's autonomy group was very interested and there have been further discussions with GM. I have an invite to visit them next month to see more and will def check it out.

This may all mean nothing more than Tesla is satisfied with their current radar solution for the time being.

Last edited:
Ron Baron Comments on Tesla
- from Ron Baron's Baron Partners Fund 2019Q1 shareholder letter.

The 15.9% decline in the price of Tesla's stock in the first quarter penalized the Fund's performance by 2.82%. Tesla is Baron Partners Fund's second largest holding and represents 10.7% of its total investments. We believe Tesla's recent share price decline will be short lived but we cannot guarantee that will be the case. Tesla shares fell principally due to concerns about: near-term demand for its mass market Model 3 cars; concerns about Tesla's manufacturing capabilities; and the complicated logistics of beginning to deliver its Model 3 cars to Europe from California. Tesla's Model 3 cars are experiencing extraordinary demand throughout Europe; the "gating" factor that limits its car sales continues to be insufficient battery production to meet demand for its cars and commercial applications which is being addressed; and more than 10,000 cars on the water at quarter end not delivered to its customers...and therefore not yet recorded as sales...Tesla's car "pipeline" is being filled. Tesla is making progress contracting for additional battery production; its new car factory in China will open in 2019 and add production capacity; and demand does not seem an issue for this business that will likely produce 360,000-400,000 high-quality, affordable electric cars in 2019. About 90 million cars per year are sold across the globe. Tesla's newly inaugurated leasing program is creating additional demand. About 60% of cars sold by others are leased. Until April, Model 3 had no such program. Lower priced Model 3 variants are also increasing order rates although few additional orders are for the stripped-down model. Tesla is revolutionizing the automotive industry (in addition to the transportation and energy industries). Its electric car at an affordable price with low ongoing maintenance costs is the safest vehicle available according to NHTSA. We continue to believe Tesla's opportunity is large and the company can accomplish its mission to produce an electric vehicle that competitors cannot match on quality or price. We do not believe quarterly results are necessarily indicative of Tesla's long-term success. We purchased Tesla's stock five years ago. Tesla's sales have since increased from $3.7 billion per year to $21 billion in 2018 and could reach an estimated $28 billion-$30 billion this year. Tesla's share price has increased from $208 per share to $280 per share, far less than the growth of Tesla's business. We do not expect Tesla's share price to continue to lag the performance of its business.

We're doing our part. In addition to raffling a Tesla Model 3 as a door prize at our annual fall Baron Investment Conference for the past two years (at our expense, not at yours or Tesla's), last week, my family purchased its first Model 3 (we already own one Model S and two Model Xs). It was a red one with all wheel drive and an extended battery life. Just to make sure I didn't make any mistakes ordering - it's very easy to order online - I spoke to a young woman in charge of Tesla's sales in the Northeast. She used to work for Porsche and then owned a Panamera. She described to me her awful experience repairing Bluetooth in that expensive car...which she has since traded for a Tesla. It took five days! If there were such a problem with a Tesla, it would be fixed in five minutes over the air!

She also told me she considered Elon not only an engineering genius but a marketing genius as well. While other automobile manufacturers spend significantly on purchased media, i.e. advertising, Tesla spends exactly nothing !!!! Elon's genius is in remaining relevant through his Twitter commentary about his cars and being transparent about his company in dialogues with Tesla's customers and employees. This individual also mentioned that her husband "borrows" her Model 3 regularly and has sold three in the past month! "I'm considering hiring him," she joked with me. One accountant who works with me lives in New Jersey. Her family recently bought a Model 3 and parked it in her driveway. She told me all her neighbors stop to look and ask her about it. She also told me how excited her husband and children are with their new Tesla. When they took their daughter for her first ride, she stood up behind her father "'ccelerate, Daddy, 'ccelerate!!!!" she implored him. I hear similar stories from a number of the 166 individuals with whom I work seemingly daily.

CFRA will conduct a free webinar tomorrow at 11 am EDT. They'll be discussing investments in the fossil fuel industry, particularly in regard to the Permian Basin. The presentations will be followed by a Q&A session during which we can type in questions. It might be interesting to learn how they respond to questions about alternative energy.

Registration: Investment Strategies for the Permian Paradox: Oil & Gas Industry Survey

OT
Okay, after watching several great vids on YouTube of folks driving Model 3's using Autopilot from the driver's aspect this afternoon, it really made me curious as to what amount of pressure or grip it takes on the steering wheel to satisfy the hand on wheel requirement (s). Would it be possible to 3D print a gripping hand with enough weight in it that one could hang on the bottom of the wheel to make it happy?

Inquiring mind want to know...

OT
Okay, after watching several great vids on YouTube of folks driving Model 3's using Autopilot from the driver's aspect this afternoon, it really made me curious as to what amount of pressure or grip it takes on the steering wheel to satisfy the hand on wheel requirement (s). Would it be possible to 3D print a gripping hand with enough weight in it that one could hang on the bottom of the wheel to make it happy?

It requires a couple ft-pounds of torque on the steering wheel(essentially as if turning the wheel/resisting turning the wheel). People have demonstrated defeating the nags by stuffing an orange in the gap on one side.

Reactions: STARR X
OT

Wasn't there something like this a few months/years back and was banned ?

Anyway, you have to jiggle the steering wheel a little (or like I do just move the volume up and down).

ps : Device to trick Tesla Autopilot banned from sale in US

OT

A small weight on the side of steering wheel can do the trick. Someone used to sell this device. It's illegal to defeat vehicle safety device. I remember a government agency sent him a warning letter. Then he stopped selling. Some people think it's just their own life, they can do whatever with it, but they also jeopardize other people's safety.

There are two risks associated with this kind of devices. 1. The driver might fall into sleep but the vehicle will not know. 2. The small weight might disengage the autopilot and pull the vehicle to one side.

A small weight on the side of steering wheel can do the trick. Someone used to sell this device. It's illegal to defeat vehicle safety device. I remember a government agency sent him a warning letter. Then he stopped selling. Some people think it's just their own life, they can do whatever with it, but they also jeopardize other people's safety.

There are two risks associated with this kind of devices. 1. The driver might fall into sleep but the vehicle will not know. 2. The small weight might disengage the autopilot and pull the vehicle to one side.

Kind of. He didn’t really stop selling it, he changed the device slightly so it can hold a cell phone and re-released it as a cell phone mount. Not sure what happened since then..

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler