Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Towards the end around the 7:10 minute mark of the clip - Wapner actually says “we” are betting against... a little bit of a slip of the tongue.

He is close with chanos. Just google Wapner and Jim Chanos and see all the results. This popped up, btw when I did the same.
Interesting reporter - interesting collection of folks she interviewed.

What Jim Chanos, David Einhorn, Scott Wapner And More Can't Wait To Eat On Thanksgiving

Honestly - can someone share one good reason why CNBC / Wapner edited the clip and didn’t let it show online until much later after the big fuss over it? Why would they intentionally do that??

I feel like there will eventually be some sort of scooby doo finale to all of this and we will see what sort of entities are supporting this nonsense.

Wapner apparently did not like having his intimate source Chanos being dissed by another guest, and by implication Wapner himself being made to look bad on-air. It's hard to know where in the CNBC chain it was decided to edit out the Tesla comments, but I assume it started with Wapner. Wapner's slip of, "We are betting against...", may have been a significant consideration.

Besides Wapner, the other daily talent on CNBC who has been aggressively negative on Tesla is money manager Tim Seymour of the "Fast Money" panel. He has admitted to being short Tesla. However earlier this week he appeared together with ARK Invest's Cathie Wood in what was promoted to be a Tesla debate. It was pretty much one-sided as Wood dazzled Seymour, keeping him relatively subdued and almost humbled. I wonder if Seymour is still short Tesla?

Last edited:
I wasn't incorrect - you're talking about 2018, I'm talking about this year. It hasn't happened yet and maybe they won't raise debt, but it's likely they will.

As far as 2018 was concerned, yes some investors said Tesla should have done an equity raise in 2018 to fund growth. Even ARK, their number one fan, said they'd like to see a debt raise. But I don't recall anyone serious saying they would have to.

They raised money in 2018. 500m. Market all mad because they didn’t get their fees. Too bad, so sad. That’s what happens when you think you’re entitled to something you aren’t, when you think you’re pullinh all the strings and aren’t. I hope Tesla does that again. And again.

Relentless short attacks. This has got to stop, someone do something!

I did my part yesterday by ordering a brand new Model X.

What I don’t understand is this: the new car I just ordered is a maxed out top of the line P100DL but still $15K cheaper than the 90D that I bought 3 years ago! Why did Tesla lower prices on flagship X and S? The car is so much better now, they should have raised prices! It’s not like people who buy this car are poor! Feels like a tax cut for the super rich.
Stepping on the throat of the eturd, ipace, eqc and taycant before they can even get their legs under them. Tesla quoted as saying: all your compliances are belong to us!

Navigate on Autopilot today satisfies the SAE level 3 definition.

That is not true*. Level 3 would not require nagging and hands-on-wheel driver all the time.
In a level 3 system, the driver would need to take over only in case
a) the car requested it -- recognizing a situation it could not handle automatically
or
b) there was a system failure (e.g. broken suspension) or other extreme situation outside normal conditions that the human noticed

The current Navigate on Autopilot today makes plenty of mistakes that requires the human driver to take over just to correct the mistakes. For example, see the 7 mistakes I documented in just a half hour drive using NoA:
Autopilot disengagement, driving etc. out of main.

ps * IF (and only) IF NoA worked absolutely 100% perfectly, never needing human intervention under normal operating circumstances AND they removed the nagging feature, then it would satisfy the SAE level 3 definition.

Last edited:
Wapner apparently did not like having his intimate source Chanos being dissed by another guest, and by implication Wapner himself being made to look bad on-air. It's hard to know where in the CNBC chain it was decided to edit out the Tesla comments, but I assume it started with Wapner. Wapner's slip of, "We are betting against...", may have been a significant consideration.

Besides Wapner, the other daily talent on CNBC who has been aggressively negative on Tesla is money manager Tim Seymour of the "Fast Money" panel. He has admitted to being short Tesla. However earlier this week he appeared together with ARK Invest's Cathie Wood it what was promoted to be a Tesla debate. It was pretty much one-sided as Wood dazzled Seymour, keeping him uncharacteristically quiet and almost humbled. I wonder if Seymour is still short Tesla?
Yeah he was pretty much outmatched and non confrontational. I think that happens when you don't have much to begin with and your against a sharp smart person.

Agreed. Musk's pronouncements about 3000 per week production in Shanghai by end of this year, which was then scaled down to 1000 per week, will be used to beat Tesla down when they cannot make that number.

For anyone it should be apparent that even making any car this year is a HUGE achievement from dirt-to-cars in less than 12 months. But anything less than 1000 cars per week by end of this year will be portrayed as yet another failure.
Yes hyper performance is expected for tesla in order to counter carbon monoxide generting combustion engine vehicles... Here is the potential Shortsville Times headline: Tesla can only produce 1000 cars per week from brand new factory, and none of their cars run on gas, tesla is running on fumes...

• Funny
Reactions: davecolene0606
Don't forget, Tesla has filled 5 ships with cars in April. Thats maybe 15k cars produced but not yet delivered. If they are producing 6k per week, that leaves at most 9k left to deliver in the US + inventory.

Plus 2450 cars in Canada. Likely about 10,000 in transit delivered in China and Europe, so could be about 25,000 in April. They do need to step up deliveries in USA and Canada to15,000 and hopefully closer to 18,000. Get those 5 ships delivered this month and they could hit 30,000 in May.

That is not true*. Level 3 would not require nagging and hands-on-wheel driver all the time.
In a level 3 system, the driver would need to take over only in case
a) the car requested it -- recognizing a situation it could not handle automatically
or
b) there was a system failure (e.g. broken suspension) or other extreme situation outside normal conditions that the human noticed

The current Navigate on Autopilot today makes plenty of mistakes that requires the human driver to take over just to correct the mistakes. For example, see the 7 mistakes I documented in just a half hour drive using NoA:
Autopilot disengagement, driving etc. out of main.

ps * IF (and only) IF NoA worked absolutely 100% perfectly, never needing human intervention under normal operating circumstances AND they removed the nagging feature, then it would satisfy the SAE level 3 definition.

This is not true.

The hands on wheel is a form of driver monitoring, not human intervention. It’s covered by level 3 requirements.

Also, SAE doc specifically says the human is expected to pay attention to the behavior of the car and take over when it’s clearly doing something wrong(I believe the example it gives is car pulling to the side erroneously). It gives no guarantee to the quality of the system, it just has to do with when the system directly asks the human to take over.

CNBC on Twitter
Elon Musk's technical sophistication is "second to none," @chamath says. https://cnb.cx/2GQAgBP CNBC link is on twitter now
That's right CNBC. You don't mess with us TSLA long investors. We will dissect anything and then others will take that and create articles that will spread across the world.

CNBC:

200.gif

This is not true.

The hands on wheel is a form of driver monitoring, not human intervention. It’s covered by level 3 requirements.

Also, SAE doc specifically says the human is expected to pay attention to the behavior of the car and take over when it’s clearly doing something wrong(I believe the example it gives is car pulling to the side erroneously). It gives no guarantee to the quality of the system, it just has to do with when the system directly asks the human to take over.

Hands on wheel is necessary, because it is a level 2 system, with the human having full responsibility.
The example you talk about (pulling to side, Example 3 on page 12) is when a mechanical failure happens!

Look at table 1 on page 19 of the SAE document for definition of various automation levels.
Level 3 requires that the ADS (Automated Driving System) performs the entire DDT (Dynamic Driving Task) while the user is receptive to ADS-issued request to intervene as well as system failures (such as a mechanical failure).

The human is not responsible for correcting driving mistakes. Note the wording of level 2 in contrast, which requires the driver to supervise the system. Tesla NoA currently very much requires supervision by the driver, and it is not just my opinion but clearly stated in the manual and you have to acknowledge that fact when you enable the feature in the setup menu.