Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems to fit the standard Tesla modus operandi. Announce a product, open the order book, collect cash from serious buyers, assess demand, scale accordingly.

So they treat the China SR Model 3 as effectively a new product. Seems fair enough, given the parochialism people apply to vehicle purchasing.

If the order count goes to hundreds of thousands, it nicely quashes silly questions about demand. I wonder how much extra for lucky red.

Well I guess in China it doesn't matter much. People with money still prefers an American made import. In fact German made cars a for the same exact model cost way more in China vs domestically made cars and affluent people chew them up.

Well I guess in China it doesn't matter much. People with money still prefers an American made import. In fact German made cars a for the same exact model cost way more in China vs domestically made cars and affluent people chew them up.
Exactly - anyone who wants a US made SR will have to buy one now.

Will China only produce SR or SR+?

I actually didn’t expect them to lower the price of locally made cars, at least not by much.
So I’m suspecting if the locally made M3 carries lower price, they won’t be exactly the same as SR+, so it won’t mess up pricing in other markets.
Maybe it’ll be something in the middle of SR+ and the original SR, and priced around SR level.

Anyways they probably would stop importing SR+ soon, this pulls up the SR+ demand who prefers imported Tesla.

Again I would expect the price to be not much lower, so people would stop speculating locally cars to be much cheaper. Some could give up the waiting and pull the trigger on imported higher trims.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Why would Tesla do that? What a terrible idea on a business standpoint

I think it’s bullish AF. Shows they are on track for q3 rollout and that they have enough visibility and communications with Chinese govt to release pricing. This is super bullish

But... but... announcing the price would cap demand in the upcoming 3-6 months, wouldn't it?

Not necessarily, as there's a fair likelihood that Shanghai Gigafactory speculation on Chinese social media is already Osborning Tesla sales in China to a certain extent. If there's unrealistic expectations as to pricing - i.e. if prospective Chinese Tesla customers much less expensive than the U.S. version, then it could be holding back current demand.

By announcing pricing, availability dates and feature set it could create certainty and push quite a few Chinese customers over the fence that they want the U.S. LR or Performance version instead and pull the trigger in Q2 for inventory models. By creating certainty Tesla can create a "Reverse Osborn Effect" if you will.

Hence the May 31 timing I believe.

They might also open up orders (not pre-orders), which would create a bit of hype and positive media attention within China. It would also allow Tesla to measure which exact variants will be the most popular initially.

It wasn't TSLAQ who told me the cap raise would increase $TSLA's value. Just me. I only bought a handful of penny options, $300 strike calls and some shares so it's not a total loss.

End of 2018 I didn't expect to see sub-$300 TSLA prices ever again to be honest. :confused: That we are below $200 is crazy in several ways, but there we are.

TSLA was at a price point where market makers can nuke the price and trigger panic selling, shorty FOMO and margin calls.

True.

At this point I would actually like to see double digits before the reversal as it would flush out the day traders, leveraged folk (sorry), and weak hands

Your comments are so bipolar, sub-$100 is crazy TSLAQ talk even if we completely ignore absolutely every bullish argument about Tesla:
  • volume is already crazy high since below $250,
  • it has only been sustained due to the forced capitulation selling you mentioned, but also through another ten million shares sold short, which is not sustainable:
  • many institutional shorts won't short into stocks with short interest above a couple of percentage points due to the short squeeze risk - let alone when 30% of the float is shorted ...,
  • and the smarter shorts will cover to lock in gains once the seasonally weak sales in Q1 won't continue into Q2, or shortly before this becomes apparent.
  • covering for shorts is easier at these price levels than at $350 price levels in December, because most of the shorts have profitable positions currently.
Your silly comment is also timed perfectly to be the first comment on a new TMC comment page, on a new trading day after a long weekend. These are the incidents where people here think you might be a careful short trolling us just below the threshold of being banned. :D

Last edited:
I've been checking Model X inventory daily via Tesla Inventory List - Find your next car and it's currently the lowest I've ever seen -- only 19 units in all of the US.
Is it reliable source of information? Can you really extrapolate size of the inventory based on what is listed?

Obviously inventory of Model X is not 19 units for US homologated model. The numbers are all but accurate.

Why would Tesla made public the size of their inventory? Tesla action's show us they try to obfuscate this number as much as they can.

Is it reliable source of information? Can you really extrapolate size of the inventory based on what is listed?

Obviously inventory of Model X is not 19 units for US homologated model. The numbers are all but accurate.

Why would Tesla made public the size of their inventory? Tesla action's show us they try to obfuscate this number as much as they can.

I can't speak for its absolute accuracy, nor will I speculate as to why the number is so low, but I will reiterate: I've don't recall ever seeing so few inventory units available through this tracker. Ev-CPO is even lower, showing only six units available.

The nationality of a car is not one thing.

Where is the car designed.
Where is the assembly line designed.
Who assembled the production line.
Who wrote the code for the individual robot actions.
Who wrote the code for line management.
Who designed the quality control systems.
Where is the car assembled.
Where was the car software written.
Where are the batteries made.
Where does the battery technology originate.
Etc.

A Tesla made in China is still a very American bred car.

I would have no qualms at all if my Model 3 is delivered to Sydney ex China. If it’s more affordable, so much the better.

I can't speak for its absolute accuracy, nor will I speculate as to why the number is so low, but I will reiterate: I've don't recall ever seeing so few inventory units available through this tracker. Ev-CPO is even lower, showing only six units available.

When Tesla will crack FSD problem, inventory will become a valuable asset.

I understand, your aim is to inform about the low number on tracker sites, not to speculate. I just feel that it needs a disclaimer, stating that those numbers are historically not indicative of anything, and should be treated alike.

This is from another post from TMC from May 20th, from EV-cpo member. I can crosspost it if it is possible or someone guide me on how to. I will keep it simple copy paste. It is from the "EV-CPO" member, curator of EV-cpo.com

"Ok, then I'll rephrase. For the entire life of the Tesla's (previously CPO) inventory website, they've never listed all of their available inventory for any model, new or used. So if there are 50 cars on EV-CPO or 500, that's just because Tesla decided to list that many online. It really has no bearing on the actual number of Model 3s in inventory available for sale. It could be 500, or 5000, we really do not know. It's up to the remarketing department to decide what cars they want to list, and how many. They always hold back cars that remain unlisted.
"

PS: nice dog you have there in an avatar, seems happy :)

Last edited:
Y'know you are supposed to hold on to reserves for times like these when a stock falls cheaper than you expected and chanos is running around celebrating in a pair of turgid underwear. However I blew it out at 290, 270, 250, 230, 213 so yeah.. my hands are cut and bleeding. Prolly in the bottom 10% of choices for 5 year returns. Well what are you gonna do.. o Elon who art in fremont..

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: neroden and dqd88
Lols. It wasn't TSLAQ who told me the cap raise would increase $TSLA's value. Just me. I only bought a handful of penny options, $300 strike calls and some shares so it's not a total loss. TSLA was at a price point where market makers can nuke the price and trigger panic selling, shorty FOMO and margin calls. The price we see today is fake and may not last long. At this point I would actually like to see double digits before the reversal as it would flush out the day traders, leveraged folk (sorry), and weak hands
Hmm, TSLAQ and you think alike since they were tweeting the same line throughout. :p

After the raise, Elon said they don't plan use the money immediately but keep it in reserve. FCF should be fine throughout Q2-4, and thats what matters to support growth over the coming years. GF3 production in 2020 will just see that growth accelerate.

But your're right not to use margin, and to position yourself for the long game. Smart. :cool:

Cheers!

Reactions: X Fan
If (a big IF) the FCA-Renault merger goes through, would FCA still be on the hook to pay Tesla for European emission requirements through 2022?
There was an extensive discussion of this just a few pages back.

Short answer: Yes, FCA-Renault would still have to pay.

Slightly longer answer: FCA-Renault would need even more offsets, or whatever the correct term is, than what FCA alone would need, so this is potentially good for Tesla.

End of 2018 I didn't expect to see sub-$300 TSLA prices ever again to be honest.
Yeah memory fogs over time, but TSLA went below $300 during Christmas Eve day (the same session when the NASDAQ-100 bottomed out on its 2018 slump):

TSLA.SP.goesBelow300.Dec2018.png

:confused: That we are below $200 is crazy in several ways, but there we are.

Lol, "be greedy when others are fearful", but what to do when others are crazy? :p

Your comments are so bipolar, sub-$100 is crazy
Mirror's the SP perhaps? There's an old English rhyme that goes:

There was a Duke of York
He had 10,000 men
And when he's up he's up
And when he's down he's down
But when he's halfway up
He's neither up nor down.

I present to you HALF the Tesla traders in the world, who fit that description. It's simple though. Tesla is moving into a $15 Trillion dollar world-wide market. The combined Market Cap of every single company traded on the NASDAQ is only $7 Trillion.

Some of those folks are trying to take over Tesla, others are trying to kill it, others don't know what to do. Mayhem ensues. This is big. It's the disruption.

Me? Long TSLA, 0% Margin, HODLing.

Cheers, and have a great week!

Last edited:
What you need to know, SoGA is that this forum is frequented by and monitored by TSLAQ trolls. If you use words like worried, or concerned, you will find your post replicated on a TSLAQ tweet taken out of context. Fine, if it’s a genuine concern, but EV fires are less frequent and less dangerous than ICEV fires which are so common as to be not newsworthy. If you need to discuss fires, be sure to start the para with something like “Given that EV fires are so rare, compared to ICEV fires...
You write like this is a safe space or some other religous group. :rolleyes:

what's next? Trigger warnings?

What the heck does it matter, if some other forum quotes messages from here? News flash; it has zero effect to stock price.

Some of you put wayyyyy too much concern to some random message board messages. These boards don't have any effect to TSLA stock price way or another.

Last edited:
My take for the starting price of Model 3 from Giga 3 is under 300K yuan.
This is an important psychological barrier for many people.
The range of 270-290K would be a sweet spot, about $40,000 - 42,000.

If it's also eligible for local subsidies, it will be another great incentive.

As for the actual config, I think it will be and should be standard range plus.
Don't give the Chinese people something they would perceive inferior.
That would be unwise, especially since there are so many paid FUDsters on Chinese internet.

As for myself, I will pull the trigger as soon as it's available, after depositing 8,000 yuan even before Model 3's unveil.
I was on the fence between waiting for Giga 3 and going for an imported one, especially when FSD is free until 2019.5.31.
But the stock price's recent drop gave me no choice other than waiting.:rolleyes:
And it's going to be worth the 3.5-year waiting.

Last edited: