Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
“In addition to the Model Y, Tesla is planning on a full refresh of the Model S, which employees say will likely include an interior with the minimalist look and feel of the newer Model 3, the same drive units and seats used in the higher-end Model 3 and a battery that delivers 400 miles of range on a full charge.”

Too specific details. But I am guessing model S is anyway not selling that much. To push the current S, Tesla can always throw in supercharging and FSD. Wouldn’t hurt margin much. Benefit of having software focus! I won’t mind 370 miles range over 400 if I get freebies. So I wouldn’t worry too much about sales.

Interest rate needs to be higher for a real recession. Right now it's just all squabble. There are no better alternatives vs equity currently due to *sugar* interest rates. So people dumping their money to put into what exactly?

Hope you are correct. But do not agree that interest rates need to be higher. So much is tied into asset values now that a significant drop would ripple throughout the economy hard. People would be dumping their money into cash waiting for reset. Deflationary pressures would abound where the low interest rates would prove to be a challenge to be used as a tool to reverse. Money supplies would be hard to support.

Yeesh, talk about a bunch of economic mumbo jumbo....

Last edited:
Curious that the article mentions Y production starting in 2019 - not clear to me if that's just the author's interpretation of the factory news though or if she was specifically told that by Tesla employees.

There is no way they make a Model Y in 2019 off of a final production line. Sounds like that CNBC article confused potential S/X interior refresh production in September with the Model Y production.

I found this pretty informative. The edge cases I mentioned usually happen when the driver thinks the car is doing one thing, or should be doing one thing, and is, in fact, doing something quite different. I completely agree that close driver attention is critical. But I would also suggest that some owners see not having to pay close attention as one of the system’s prime benefits. This is the paradox that leads to expense, and worse.
It’ll get better, though.
Robin

Seriously? This guy is a fear mongering Drama Queen or he’s ‘acting’ to get attention for his video.

Of course the car sometimes gets confused, hesitates, makes the wrong choice, or gives up. Of course! Who in their right mind with a modicum of common sense and intelligence expected differently at this stage of development?

*We* don’t care about people who use the car/system in a way it’s not intended in the same way *we* don’t care if Mark S. gets E. Coli from dipping his toothbrush in the toilet.

Something I'd like to follow up on from the CNBC article: does anyone know about S/X shifts when they were last at 2k/week? The CNBC article says they are now on weekday shifts only, not weekend or night shifts. However, I remember that they already reduced from 3 to 2 shifts with efficiency improvements a long time ago while still running at 2k/week, so would they would both be considered day shifts? Essentially, I am wondering if "day shifts only" could still mean 2 shifts per day? In that case, the lack of night shifts is of no significance.

However, no weekend shifts would mean no more than around 1400-1500/week at the moment if each day is roughly equal and they previously needed weekend shifts to hit 2k/week. I suppose that's not too bad, as they did say that Raven production wouldn't finish ramping until Q3. Also, it may be a bit higher if they have been able to improve efficiency.
On the other hand, I had hoped that they would ramp to 2k/week again by early in Q3, but maybe they will be waiting for the September refresh.

• Helpful
Reactions: Chocochip
Curious that the article mentions Y production starting in 2019 - not clear to me if that's just the author's interpretation of the factory news though or if she was specifically told that by Tesla employees.

There is no way they make a Model Y in 2019 off of a final production line. Sounds like that CNBC article confused potential S/X interior refresh production in September with the Model Y production.

Model Y Ordering FAQ seems to agree with you:

When will Model Y production begin?
Model Y production is expected to begin in late 2020 for North America, and in early 2021 for Europe and China. Standard Range production is expected to begin in early 2021 for North America, and in early 2022 for Europe and China.

Although, there are 6 months to get equipment (that was already ordered) installed. They may be planning a more gentle ramp, so it could potentially be possible to make a car or two this year...

So Tesla has acquired an exciting dry battery electrode process by buying Maxwell Tech. So what is the next step? Clearly, they would want to set up some prototype production line but Tesla has no experience making battery cells. So license it to Panasonic? Make 18650 battery cells for the refreshed Model S with DBE? Making 21700 battery cells using DBE and then having to redesign the battery-pack? You can't switch the Model 3 battery cells to DBE because the demand for battery cells per week is so huge..but the refreshed Model S would have a far lower demand at the beginning. Or do you want the DBE battery cells for the Roadster only? I can see huge efficiency gains to get the Gigafactory making battery cells for the Model S - either 21700 or 18650.

wow what an open, haven't seen this much strength $tsla in a long time, seriously I think we will end very green today. Even in case of a recession (which I doubt will happen before 2020 presidential election uncertainty) I see a lot of resilience of $tsla at this level, only one way to go from here.

• Helpful
Reactions: SpaceCash
SP is fairly bullish considering the macros today, +1% (compared to Nasdaq -0.9%). Any news we are missing ?

I think people are getting ready for that one bit of big new news that spikes things up, causes a squeeze, and then snaps things back up to the mid 200s.

TSLA is like a horse at the gate right now... it really wants to run...

Tesla is rejiggering its Fremont factory to build the Model Y SUV and a Model S refresh

Model S refresh in September?
  • Employees say Tesla is paving the way to start Model Y production in Fremont, and working on a new Model S refresh, aiming for start of production in September.
I wonder if there will be an exterior refresh as well?

On the S forum, someone who seems to be in the know stated no. Maybe new headlights and tail lights. Not expecting a chassis till 2022, the S body will be 10 years old. The Europeans car makers go 7 years between body changes.

I've been wrong so often, I'm turning into a contra-indicator.... But we have China announcement Friday and Investor meeting in two weeks. How do we not get a climb with the stock around 185?!? I just hope that Tesla gives a nice update to investors at the meeting to calm our fears that really kills the Tesla demand narrative and gets the stock back to 300.