Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To put this in context - the locally made BMW 320 is priced at 339k.

So, 328k for SR+ looks like the right price.

I don't think it's a right move, By reading Chinsse Tesla M3 forums , i can see people are very disappointed by the price, they are switching to buy other brand, also they are lost the faith for tesla brand.

@qunqun -
if what @EVNow said above is correct, then what exactly were the people on the message boards expecting?

To put this in context - the locally made BMW 320 is priced at 339k.

So, 328k for SR+ looks like the right price.

Well, I’m sure they didn’t pluck this price from the air. Market research would have told them what the demand curve looked like and presumably this is the sweet spot to maximise profit.

I would have preferred a lower price and a bigger order backlog, just to shut up the “no demand” incessant drone.

As a shareholder I suppose I should be pleased that the market will bear this price. Alas, no short squeeze trigger today. Back to waiting patiently mode.

I don't think it's a right move, By reading Chinsse Tesla M3 forums , i can see people are very disappointed by the price, they are switching to buy other brand, also they are lost the faith for tesla brand.
The model 3 isn't an econobox though. As long as it's priced competitively with other mid-sized luxury sedans, Tesla will be fine.

The people complaining may not even be the target market.

Neroden: "OK, so your friend is insane to start with. Living in Manhattan and owning a car is crazy to start with, but doing so without a private parking space is even crazier. He was a lost cause."

I own a model 3, live in Brooklyn (not so different than Manhattan)
It's quite a bit different -- most Manhattan streets are far more crowded and have far fewer empty parking spaces than most of Brooklyn. (At least downtown, midtown, uptown, Harlem, Columbia Heights -- there are probably some bits of Manhattan which are less crowded.)

Reactions: Skryll
Well, I’m sure they didn’t pluck this price from the air. Market research would have told them what the demand curve looked like and presumably this is the sweet spot to maximise profit.

I would have preferred a lower price and a bigger order backlog, just to shut up the “no demand” incessant drone.

As a shareholder I suppose I should be pleased that the market will bear this price. Alas, no short squeeze trigger today. Back to waiting patiently mode.

Uhhh a lower price will tell bears that there are zero demand at the current price and Tesla has to dramatically lower price in China to compete, which means the gigafactory 3 will not save Tesla since they will be losing the margin game.

A higher price could mean to the bears that it's much more expensive to produce the model 3 than expected. I rather take that speculation vs the first one.

Wonderful. Now Tesla can decrease the price of China M3 every week and damage the stock even more. Unless that is fake pricing and they are setting it high to not Osborne current M3. But then why release pricing 6-10months away anyway?

To stop people from speculating the price.

Now if you want one, go for imported SRP.

I kind of understand the decision.

Shipping date for imported SRP has just jumped to August, used to be end of June.

Seems many people stop waiting for Giga 3 Model 3?

IMG_1005.jpeg

Vincent on Twitter guessed 288000 rmb, which is $41.6k - if he meant not to include VAT, then this is super close.
Vincent on Twitter

I don't think short squeeze was in the cards.
When asked about Y order # in Q1 call, Elon said that the number is meaningless until the car is available. This is based on lessons learnt from m3 speculations. He would not reveal the order # from China even if asked.

Last edited:

Almost all those drama queens are trolls, some paid trolls.

Anyone looking for a 250k RMB BEV should look elsewhere.

Current Model 3 owners that have not had their residual values hammered have not lost faith in the brand. Future Model 3 owners can gain some confidence that Tesla will not hammer their residual values have not lost faith in the brand.

I will wager Tesla Shanghai will produce at maximum output and Tesla will sell those vehicles without discount(excluding high mileage test drive cars and old stock during spec upgrades) for the foreseeable future.

It's quite a bit different -- most Manhattan streets are far more crowded and have far fewer empty parking spaces than most of Brooklyn. (At least downtown, midtown, uptown, Harlem, Columbia Heights -- there are probably some bits of Manhattan which are less crowded.)

I hear you, but many people park on the streets in all those locations in Manhattan ( additionally in upper Eastside, upper Westside, Tribeca, Soho, West Village etc.). Obviously parking garages are a big source of parking as well. The point I was trying to make is that it is doable. I live in Park Slope which is notoriously difficult to park in. I'm also someone who didn't even know where i would be charging when i bought my car but figured it out quite quickly. Certainly more chargers at condo buildings and other destinations would be a great asset. i am optimistic that they are coming.

I would love a short squeeze as much as the next bull. A major short squeeze...similiar to 2013/14 ones is not going to happen. The volatility of this stock IF played right can make both bulls and bears a lot of money IF you are lucky enough to play with the big boys correctly. I can't at this point. Lucked out in 2013/14 but not since then with ST options expecting a squeeze.

The way for longs to make money is to just stay in stock with a 5+ year time horizon. Buy the dips if you want to add but otherwise don't get involved in the ST noise.

Bottom line: Playing for a squeeze will more likely leave you 'frustrated'.

@qunqun -
if what @EVNow said above is correct, then what exactly were the people on the message boards expecting?

People expecting under 300k most people there expecting 283k, because they know elon have side to build china factory is 50% cheaper and labor there is also cheaper, many people already pissed off by the constantly price changes, so I don't think the later price drop would be a good idea.

OT

I hear you, but many people park on the streets in all those locations in Manhattan ( additionally in upper Eastside, upper Westside, Tribeca, Soho, West Village etc.). Obviously parking garages are a big source of parking as well. The point I was trying to make is that it is doable. I live in Park Slope which is notoriously difficult to park in.
Fair enough. :) That is one of the notoriously crowded parts of Brooklyn! Not as car-crowded as Midtown Manhattan (what is?) but probably as bad as some of the other parts of Manhattan.

I'm also someone who didn't even know where i would be charging when i bought my car but figured it out quite quickly. Certainly more chargers at condo buildings and other destinations would be a great asset. i am optimistic that they are coming.