Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those are fine for products on the horizon, but definitely not for the next quarter's financials/deliveries. IMO, those should be relatively low risk for failure to hit/high likelihood of success rather than high risk aspirational numbers partly based upon hope, particularly during an ongoing ramp with lots of execution challenges/problems.

Aspiration part was for the commentary regarding the pickup call. Like F150 and Porsche 911

I lament the fact that FUD and combating FUD has come to as prominent place as it has on this thread. But it unfortunately does seem to have become relevant at this point to an investors roundtable. I try to avoid stepping into the debate online because of its often polarized and vitriolic nature, but I read an article today that I just could not let pass without posting a response.

Here's the article, in case others wish to respond.
Why Bloom is Off Environmental Rose for Tesla and Other Electric Vehicles

it's not all that hard to find my response (it's the really long one), but I can't seem to find a way to link directly to it, so am including below. (Now would be a good time to skip to the next post if you don't want to read something that's long). And while you'll see that I'm not an unadulterated fan of Elon or the Paris Agreement, I think it does its own small part to balance the one-sided narrative.

- - - - -
I come to the Daily Signal because it serves as a voice of reason. But it has badly, and sadly, failed here. At its best, the Daily Signal is an antidote to news that begins with an ideological premise and then gathers up an appropriate collection of "facts" to reach a pre-ordained, foregone conclusion. This article, however, serves as a cautionary tale that even the best intentioned efforts can still fall into the very rhetorical trap which it seeks to counter.

Anyone that has read my writings knows my libertarian, traditional virtues orientation. As well as my disdain for using climate change (whatever the nuances of the scientific data and models) as a trojan horse for big government intervention. But I drive a Tesla Model 3, and it is not because I am one of those "Tesla owners [who] sip their lattes at the Supercharger" or a "wealthy environmentalist." I don't even drink coffee, and a quick glance at my bank account woud disabuse anyone of the notion that I am wealthy.

I drive a Model 3 for a different set of reasons. Based on data from the IIHS, its occupants are safer in a crash than every other car ever tested [https://www.tesla.com/blog/...]. Think about that for a moment. This has nothing whatsoever to do with climate change, or whether one is left- or right-leaning. Its total cost of ownership is comparable to a Toyota Camry (my previous car) or Honda Accord [https://cleantechnica.com/2...]. And while I am disappointed in Tesla's selective use of statistical data to justify how safe its autopilot features are, even its informed critics view it as having by far the most advanced self-driving features available to the public [ https://insideevs.com/news/...]. As a driver I would never even consider going back to a non-autopilot car, as when it is used as intended, it makes me a far safer and less-stressed driver than left to my own devices. None of these things have to do with climate change.

In addition to ad hominem attacks that seek to stereotype and demean Tesla supporters, the author employs a mix of selective facts and confounding Tesla with other electric vehicle efforts to make his case. For example, a lengthy section of the article talks about the problems with sourcing cobalt, an ingredient in some batteries. First, Tesla sourcing is well documented and very sensitive to child labor issues. Second, Tesla usage of cobalt in its batteries is the lowest in the industry. And finally, Tesla is moving quickly to a battery that uses zero cobalt. That's zero as in none. [https://cleantechnica.com/2...]

Next, to the environmental impact of using electricity from the U.S. national power grid. This is well-trod ground but the best available data leads to just the opposite conclusion the author wishes to draw, both for marginal per mile usage [https://afdc.energy.gov/veh...], as well as in considering the complete life cycle, from manufacture to disposal [https://www.ucsusa.org/clea...]

One could go on about the viability of the company (Hint: it's going to be just fine), "the federal government pouring money into companies such as Tesla," and other misrepresentations, but this response has already gone on too long.

The interested reader can check these other points by simply spending some time on google and reading more than one side of the argument. Let me instead conclude with two points of caution. First, I agree with the author completely when he says "it’s more important than ever that we get to the truth." But the way of truth is humility, something in short supply in most polemics. Humility sifts through a variety of sources to get a balanced view of the facts and theses. As a scientist by training (Ph.D. in physics from Stanford) I am reminded of Sir Francis Bacon's caution about the true nature of science "If a man will begin with certainties, he shall end in doubts; but if he will be content to begin with doubts, he shall end in certainties."

Second, my antennae go up whenever I hear an argument from the left, or the right, that seems to relish in schadenfreude, rather than treating presumed opponents empathetically, giving them the benefit of the doubt as to motives, and assuming that they are thoughtful but perhaps not well informed. Searching for hypocrisy in others does not have a great pedigree [https://www.lds.org/scriptu...]. David Brook's recent book, Love Your Enemies: How Decent People Can Save America from the Culture of Contempt, is highly recommended here.

I'd be happy to get together over lunch with the author to hear him out, and then go for a ride together in my Model 3.
- - - - -

Very nice indeed, but couldn't see it in the comments section, did they delete it (or maybe I'm just blind, as my wife says, deaf too, apparently)?

Reactions: neroden
Less than 100km from where I live. Apparently a Dutch Model S of less than a year old, and a supercharger that is also one of the newest in Belgium.
Normally, I’d expect an avalanche of comments (on the original HLN article) like ‘those Teslas should be banned because they catch fire all the time’, but no comments at all for the moment. Also, the article is very factual and doesn’t refer to any other EV fires. Maybe we’ve reached the tipping point where the other car manufacturers can’t push the EV FUD anymore because they want to sell their own EVs.
If there’s any more local news about this fire, I’ll try to summarize it here.

And around 35kms from my place. Worth noting that the Superchargers at this place are hidden way behind the back of the hotel, which is a cheap price Novotel, plus in the middle of an industrial area. So if someone wanted to do some monkey-business... I have no idea if there are any CCTV cameras there, will be interesting if some footage emerges.

Fresh GF1 production information from Carsonight:

Disqus - Tesla's China website overwhelmed after pre-orders opened for locally-made Model 3

"I do want to emphasize that GF1 production is up to 1000+ Model 3 batteries per day, but that's on perfect days when everything is optimal. I really have no idea what's happening in Fremont beyond what I read, but I did learn today that Tesla at GF1 is hiring again and that all production employees are working mandatory overtime.'​

To me this suggests that Fremont can now probably utilize the ~1,000/day Model 3 battery packs output of GF1.

AFAIK Tesla has no meaningful storage capacity at Fremont to store battery packs, so GF1 production is closely tracking Fremont production.

Fresh GF1 production information from Carsonight:

Disqus - Tesla's China website overwhelmed after pre-orders opened for locally-made Model 3

"I do want to emphasize that GF1 production is up to 1000+ Model 3 batteries per day, but that's on perfect days when everything is optimal. I really have no idea what's happening in Fremont beyond what I read, but I did learn today that Tesla at GF1 is hiring again and that all production employees are working mandatory overtime.'​

To me this suggests that Fremont can now probably utilize the ~1,000/day Model 3 battery packs output of GF1.

AFAIK Tesla has no meaningful storage capacity at Fremont to store battery packs, so GF1 production is closely tracking Fremont production.

what about Lathrop?

AP2 is Model S/X, AP2.5 is Model 3. Only hardware difference is the interior view camera on the Model 3 (with an eye toward supporting use on TN).

Model S/X now bundles AP2 with FSD Computer (since March), and Model 3 is AP2.5 with FSD Computer (since April). Saves Tesla $$ vs. nVidia computer, and runs the current production NN just fine.;)

Model S/X can be AP1, AP2, AP2.5 and AP3.
Model 3 can be AP2.5 and AP3.
FSD Computer is included in AP3.
AP2 and AP2.5 can be upgraded to AP3 eventually by changing the computer by the FSD computer (but AP2 will keep it's lower color definition cameras).

The main difference between AP2 and AP2.5 is the quality of cameras and the internal bus. I believe there is something different in the radar, but cannot remember now.

The main difference between AP2 / AP2.5 and AP3 is the FSD computer.

Good news for IL EV owners worried about the 1K/ yr proposed registration fee. This is much more reasonable: “For transportation-related projects, the measure also would increase the $101 license plate fee to $151 annually, and charge electric vehicles $248 a year rather than the current $35 for two years.”
Illinois Senate approves legalizing sports betting, gambling expansion and funding for nearly $45 billion capital construction plan
It's still too high by far

My reading:

Street thinks that Tesla cannot make 90k guidance for Q3, and 350-400k for the year. Tired of hearing lofty goals that is missed. They strongly believe there is no demand for that many and Tesla cannot produce anyway.

But the real reason for the bearishness is, they are disappointed that if profits are questionable after even making 90k cars, then then business is perhaps fundamentally unprofitable, not withstanding Musks pronouncements of 25% per car profits? This concern has now deepened.

Street has ignored Robo-Taxis as there is a not a single expert in the whole industry that thinks this is feasible even in a decade, let alone in one year. In fact the Robo-Taxis has severely dented Musks credibility in the eyes off WS. Some think he is delusional. Others think he is trying to con them with the next big shiny object behind the curtain. If there had been no ‘Investor day’, SP would be in the low 200.

Bulls have not put forth any credible arguments to quell these concerns, except counting ships and registration numbers in NL and Norway.

The market does not ignore anything. It does just interpret information accurately taking into account all investor's demand and offering of Shares.

Currently, the market thinks that Tesla is only worth 185$ per share taking into account all information available as of today. This does not mean that this price is fair, but it is the most accurate measure of Tesla's current valuation. There is a risk of default which the market does currently interpret to be significant. Further, there is a risk that Tesla might never be profitable, and the market does also take into account this probability.

Taking everything together including the risk of a general market crash, the valuation of 185$ is accurate and the most accurate measure today.

The market does not ignore anything. It does just interpret information accurately taking into account all investor's demand and offering of Shares.

Currently, the market thinks that Tesla is only worth 185$ per share taking into account all information available as of today. This does not mean that this price is fair, but it is the most accurate measure of Tesla's current valuation. There is a risk of default which the market does currently interpret to be significant. Further, there is a risk that Tesla might never be profitable, and the market does also take into account this probability.

Taking everything together including the risk of a general market crash, the valuation of 185$ is accurate and the most accurate measure today.

The market ignore information all the time. At least the market ignore correct information. You think short sellers at this price point is working with credible info? From elon's margin call nonsense to teslaq in 10 months...

The market ignore information all the time. At least the market ignore correct information. You think short sellers at this price point is working with credible info? From elon's margin call nonsense to teslaq in 10 months...

Market does never IGNORE information. Every information that is publicly availabie is interpreted accordingly. This does of course not mean that stock prices cannot be manipulated in the short-term. However, in the long-run, stock prices cannot be manipulated.

Further, if a stock decreases despite of good news, ask yourself: There might be other reasons for the stock to decline like the general market environment.