Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
upload_2019-7-30_6-23-8.png

"For Tesla, the Clock Is Ticking"...

hmmm.. I feel like if you put any other auto manufacturer's name in there, and the headline makes more sense.

CNBC warning!!

German auto supplier Eisenmann files for insolvency

So despite Eisenmann being a general auto supplier, it's negative, so the only manufacturer they choose to mention in the article is, dah dah!

FRANKFURT, July 30 (Reuters) - German auto supplier Eisenmann, which supplied Tesla in 2015 with a new paint shop at its Freemont plant in California, filed for insolvency late on Monday, in a sign of the growing economic problems crushing profits in the auto sector.

Eisenmann, which has 3,000 employees and generated annual revenues of 723 million euros ($806 million) in 2017, filed for insolvency at the Stuttgart District Court.

Only thing that bugs me about that article is the comparison of charge rates in terms of "How much SoC you get per minute charging" rather than "How much range you get per minute charging". The former is an utterly meaningless figure.
Further, the use of non-Supercharger locations means that battery pre-charge conditioning did not occur, thus reducing max charge rate.

CNBC warning!!

German auto supplier Eisenmann files for insolvency

So despite Eisenmann being a general auto supplier, it's negative, so the only manufacturer they choose to mention in the article is, dah dah!

FRANKFURT, July 30 (Reuters) - German auto supplier Eisenmann, which supplied Tesla in 2015 with a new paint shop at its Freemont plant in California, filed for insolvency late on Monday, in a sign of the growing economic problems crushing profits in the auto sector.

Eisenmann, which has 3,000 employees and generated annual revenues of 723 million euros ($806 million) in 2017, filed for insolvency at the Stuttgart District Court.
Just don't link it to their website directly (you can break the URL by inserting a space). You linking to it because of their yellow journalism is the reason why they do yellow journalism (people link to their website which increase their ranking in search engines). Let's be smart and not encourage their toxic behavior.

Djeezes, these discussions about Elon's tweets and the SEC... Feels like summer 2018 again :confused:

It's like we're stuck in a loop were bulls and bears repeat every argument again.

The technical term is deja vu (with an accent over the ‘e’ and the ‘a’, but different accents) and it’s been going on for many years.

At first deja vu (with an accent over the ‘e’ and the ‘a’, but different accents) gives one a spooky chill down their back, raises the hairs on your arms, or gives goosies.

After the 63rd time, deja vu (with an accent over the ‘e’ and the ‘a’, but different accents) no longer holds any mystique. Instead it makes a person at best yawn and at worst suicidal. In between the two his forehead slapping, eye rolling, gun waving, alcohol drinking, binge eating, social media account deleting, stock purchasing, vacations, self-improvement through meditation and bowling, unfriending, ignoring and closet reorganization.

Spent an hour this weekend to tweet all Republican senators, asking them how it is possible that the US government is subsidizing German, Korean and Chinese EVs, while at the same time limiting or ending the subsidy for US made EVs (Tesla, GM). A bit like the Chinese, who only subsidize Chinese EVs, but then the exact opposite. Probably a waste of time, but maybe I planted a seed somewhere...
I person once told me that the answer to any question you never ask is "no". So at least you have a chance of making some non-zero impact.

Edit: I always make it a point to contact companies / hotels that host destination and Superchargers to let them know that I patronize them because of it.

View attachment 435677

"For Tesla, the Clock Is Ticking"...

hmmm.. I feel like if you put any other auto manufacturer's name in there, and the headline makes more sense.
Looks like the new short "concern" is that Tesla is not spending on Capex as much as the depreciation. It is a really bad argument.

The Model 3 line is brand new - you don't expect them to spend 100s of millions to "maintain" it. Just as you don't spend a lot of money maintaining a brand new car, even though it depreciates fast in the first 2 years. Tesla infact is young enough a company that most of their capex is for growth, rather than maintenance.

With other auto companies - they have regular model year changes as well as new generation of every car once in 7 or so years. That is what those companies spend money on. They are basically in steady state (or declining).

Looks like the new short "concern" is that Tesla is not spending on Capex as much as the depreciation. It is a really bad argument.

The Model 3 line is brand new - you don't expect them to spend 100s of millions to "maintain" it. Just as you don't spend a lot of money maintaining a brand new car, even though it depreciates fast in the first 2 years. Tesla infact is young enough a company that most of their capex is for growth, rather than maintenance.

With other auto companies - they have regular model year changes as well as new generation of every car once in 7 or so years. That is what those companies spend money on. They are basically in steady state (or declining).

The expectations were that Tesla would have to spend a lot for GF3 and Model Y ramp, it hasn't been the case ...

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
The expectations were that Tesla would have to spend a lot for GF3 and Model Y ramp, it hasn't been the case ...

GF3 has already made its tooling purchases, so it demonstrably didn't cost Tesla much capex.
As for Y, in Q2 they were making room at Fremont for the line, so they demonstrably couldn't have been tooling then.

Based on how fast it rebounded last month I would think investors are going to let it reach a point they like then pounce. Likely will see $220 as that point. I think it gets pushed down for a few days though
Looks like you were right and I was wrong. I predicted $250 by the end of today.

I still think it gets there relatively quickly, just not by the end of today.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
GF3 has already made its tooling purchases, so it demonstrably didn't cost Tesla much capex.
As for Y, in Q2 they were making room at Fremont for the line, so they demonstrably couldn't have been tooling then.
Big Picture questions:
How will Tesla pay for GF3?
Tesla needs to build new factory for MY (cost $$$)
... these things did not play out as assumed ....

Looking at the after-hours chart before the market opened, and was like HOLY MOLY the shorts are running with the solar roof tweet.

Then, I realized I was looking at BYND by mistake.

TL;DR - so bullish, mistaking the BYND chart for TSLA only made me pee a little.
Hopefully like the shorts you do all your analysis on the toilet. :rolleyes: