Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The goal for Tesla has always been to outsell the direct and somewhat indirect ICEv competition. Outselling compliance and quasi-compliance BEVs has never been the goal.

I thought the Jaguar i-Pace and Audi e-Tron were "Tesla killers"?

Los Angeles Auto Show: Meet the Tesla killers

Tesla killers are arriving from Jaguar, Porsche, Audi and others

From our magazine: Why German Carmakers Don’t Fear Tesla

Tesla fighters: The latest challengers in the luxury electric car market

Chinese Carmakers, Volkswagen, BMW Roll Out "Tesla Killers"

Tesla killers are arriving from Jaguar, Porsche, Audi and more

Tesla killers are coming

Tesla Killers: Rise of the E-Machines - MotorTrend

The Tesla killers that could? Ten cars gunning for a slice of the EV pie

Plenty of evidence that the popular narrative was that EV's from other manufacturers were the direct threat to Tesla. The fact that this has been proven wrong so far doesn't make them "compliance" cars. They were designed to unseat Tesla. The fact that they have all failed to do that doesn't mean they were designed as "compliance" cars.

ANCAP appears to accept Euro NCAP test results. This does not look like a new result, but a ‘stamped copy’ of the result already obtained. We’re such a small market. If we insisted on a full test, half the cars currently sold here wouldn’t bother and would not be available.

My guess is that Tesla showed that the steering was correct side, waved their Euro NCAP certificate and got full marks.

If you look on the Twitter post, ANCAP responded to a comment and said that they do a blend of NCAP results, in addition to their own testing. (That's why the active safety tests show the video from the NCAP testing).

Last edited:
Please point me to the previous Tesla communication where it was disclosed that 1000 solar roofs/week was a target for the end of this year. And yes, the SEC was pedantic about this before...

Please point me to a communciation from Elon that is a projection or forecast of 1000 solar roofs/week.
upload_2019-7-30_8-12-51.png

upload_2019-7-30_8-13-11.png

upload_2019-7-30_8-13-29.png

hopeVsFact.png

OT

And the Model S sells better than the new-and-exiting e-Tron and better than the luxury Jaguar i-Pace.

Wow, Audi gave up already? :)

While you're right about the target being TWh, not TW, there is such a thing as "a TW" of batteries in utility-scale projects.

(Utility-scale battery projects are rated in both watts and watt-hours. Watts says how much they can stabilize the grid, watt-hours says how long they can stabilize it for.)

Tl; dr; Power is an important spec for the system, but it does not define the battery size.

If we want to get really picky, there are two limits on the power output of the system. One is the rate the cells can (dis)charge without damage. That is an operational choice as the peak output can be raised with a decrease in reliability (for that matter so can the energy). However, the main constraint in these systems as built (multiple hours of storage at rated power) is the size of the inverter.
One could have a TWh of battery and only 1kW of output. One could also take a car battery (<1kWh), short it, and achieve >6kW of output. So, while the power number is important, it is not a useful metric for production requirements. Doubling inverter capacity is easier than doubling battery capacity.

On Tesla killers, saw my first etron in NJ with a temp plate. first impression is that it is too bulky and heavy (at least looking so). The aero seems bad and the fake grill is ugly. I mean why would anyone buy an etron. I gladly parked my model 3 right behind for the potential interested onlookers to have a direct comparison.

Attachments

• 6AF6E1E0-4694-4794-9ED2-4E02A3381AEE.jpeg
    6AF6E1E0-4694-4794-9ED2-4E02A3381AEE.jpeg
    572.5 KB · Views: 86
  • D57F8F75-C3D6-4697-B02B-5F65C6B71BCB.jpeg
    D57F8F75-C3D6-4697-B02B-5F65C6B71BCB.jpeg
    203.8 KB · Views: 76
They look like 20s to me. Less than half the length of the presumably 53' trailer behind the Tesla Semi in the illustration. I could be talked into 24', except it makes no sense to use a non-standard size.
I tend to agree.

There are 8 access doors on the side running the full length of the container. If they are 30" doors, that's a 20' container. If they are 36"ers, then a 24' container.

They'd have to be ~6' wide doors if it were one of the larger size containers... which they are clearly not.

Please point me to the previous Tesla communication where it was disclosed that 1000 solar roofs/week was a target for the end of this year.

As I mentioned in my very first post, it's in line with the *plant output* guidance (GW/yr). It's only a statement of mix.

And yes, the SEC was pedantic about this before...

And we saw how great that worked out for them in court. ;)

I thought the Jaguar i-Pace and Audi e-Tron were "Tesla killers"?

Los Angeles Auto Show: Meet the Tesla killers

Tesla killers are arriving from Jaguar, Porsche, Audi and others

From our magazine: Why German Carmakers Don’t Fear Tesla

Tesla fighters: The latest challengers in the luxury electric car market

Chinese Carmakers, Volkswagen, BMW Roll Out "Tesla Killers"

Tesla killers are arriving from Jaguar, Porsche, Audi and more

Tesla killers are coming

Tesla Killers: Rise of the E-Machines - MotorTrend

The Tesla killers that could? Ten cars gunning for a slice of the EV pie

Plenty of evidence that the popular narrative was that EV's from other manufacturers were the direct threat to Tesla. The fact that this has been proven wrong so far doesn't make them "compliance" cars. They were designed to unseat Tesla. The fact that they have all failed to do that doesn't mean they were designed as "compliance" cars.

"Accused Tesla Killers Acquitted Of All Charges" ;)

Last edited:
On Tesla killers, saw my first etron in NJ with a temp plate. first impression is that it is too bulky and heavy (at least looking so). The aero seems bad and the fake grill is ugly. I mean why would anyone buy an etron. I gladly parked my model 3 right behind for the potential interested onlookers to have a direct comparison.

The Norwegian EV Club did a duelling test between these two cars.
In Norwegian. Google can translate for you I guess.

Duelltest: Store Audi e-tron mot lille Tesla Model 3

Wow, Audi gave up already? :)

c

Reactions: mongo
I don't know but I imagine it will be provided as a benefit of the sale.

Edit: At first I thought a utility company wouldn't want to commit to monthly fees for something like this but I'm reconsidering that since there is huge profit potential in smart energy trading. On the other hand, I'm not sure how this plays into the rules surrounding regulated electric utilities.
You can bet there will be stiff opposition, but once the public knows that electricity rate will go down by 20%, as they have done in Australia, there will be a lot of public pressure against the lobbyists.

Please point me to a communciation from Elon that is a projection or forecast of 1000 solar roofs/week.
View attachment 435661
View attachment 435662
View attachment 435663

View attachment 435664

Simple question, how big is a solar roof? How can this measure be used to determine production? It could be either of these two:

Huge-brick-doghouse.jpg

Homes-for-Sale-Beverly-Hills-Mansions-Beverly-Hills-Magazine-Compass-Real-Estate-44-Beverly-Park-Circle-1W.jpg

It just implies a ramp. And then you can read in the 10-Q:

Gigafactory 2
We have an agreement with the SUNY Foundation related to the construction of a facility in Buffalo, New York, referred to as Gigafactory 2, where we have housed the development and production of solar products and components. The terms of such agreement require us to comply with a number of covenants, including required hiring and cumulative investment targets, which we have met to date. Overall, we expect our significant operations at Gigafactory 2 and the surrounding Buffalo area to continue, including with our ramp and manufacture of Solar Roof, which we are planning to scale over the remainder of 2019 and into 2020, as well as certain product development and other Tesla operations including manufacturing and assembling Supercharger and energy storage components. In addition, Panasonic manufactures PV cells and modules at Gigafactory 2, which are among our various sources for our
solar retrofit installations.

Anyone know how quickly Tesla could have fixed Puerto Rico's blackout during/post Hurricane Maria if they this product, at scale, then?
I think relatively easily because the issue is replacing all the power poles and wires. The Puerto Rican energy company said that many areas will never get electricity from them again. Already the NTREG has members who have gone down there, arranged for solar arrays at almost cost to produce from several manufacturers (I don't know if Tesla was among them--I didn't see any Tesla labels in the slide presentation--and trained Puerto Ricans how to install them and do the wiring. (Trained them well enough that they could train others). Before they installed the solar panels, the way people got electricity was to get a generator an power the house through an electrical outlet--kind of dangerous. This would just be another step and only local wiring rather than national wiring would be required, so many more areas could get electricity in a reasonable time frame.

Coal has been twice the price of natural gas and more expensive than solar for ~3 years.
And there are few natural gas plants slated for future production because the ramp up time (getting permits, construction, etc.) is too long compared to solar. It's far easier to put in solar where it's required--especially when the requirements change rapidly.

But...IF they could incorporate an active heating system instead, then, at the cost of significant energy inefficiencies, a Megapack might be able to withstand our still-cold climate.
Shouldn't be an issue. Just arrange for politicians to give the speeches there. Should be more than enough hot air to keep the batteries comfortable.

The Norwegian EV Club did a duelling test between these two cars.
In Norwegian. Google can translate for you I guess.

Duelltest: Store Audi e-tron mot lille Tesla Model 3

c

Only thing that bugs me about that article is the comparison of charge rates in terms of "How much SoC you get per minute charging" rather than "How much range you get per minute charging". The former is an utterly meaningless figure.

Fred has a piece today on using Tesla Semi as a platform for a motor home. (I won’t include the link, but you know how to find it if you want).

He’s envisioning driving during the day and plugging it in at night. But it would be more remarkable the other way, once FSD is available. Imagine being able to tell the vehicle where to go next, and sleep while it takes you there. You could travel the continent on just some electricity, without leaving "home" and without driving.

So, ladies and gentleman, here now the Sancho Master Plan:

1. Buy more TSLA
2. In a few more years when FSD is generally available, retire
3. Tell Neroden "I told you so."
4. Sell home and buy Tesla FSD Motor Home
5. Load it with beer
6. Drive off into the sunset....

The icing on the cake is Free supercharging to Seniors over 65, it would sell like hotcakes..