Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
not sure how many of you listen to Rob Mauer's tesla daily podcast but if you do, please go support him financially. He's quit his job to do Tesla news/information full time. Very informative stuff.

stop being so cheap and go support him. www.patreon.com/tesladailypodcast

Agree with this. There is a fair amount of money on this board and those who can should be supporting content they believe in. Even if you don't listen to every podcast. Many folks at $10/month does the trick. Pay for good content.

On topic: $30,000 in shares moved into the very long ('down with the ship long') side of the ledger today.

No. Inspectors serve the very useful purpose of keeping installers on their toes. The product must be good, well-tested and fit for purpose. The installers must follow the manufacturer's directions, code requirements and professional ethics. When that chain of responsibility gets interrupted (by poor design, shoddy manufacturing, corners cut in installation or installers who aren't up to the job, for example), a city/county inspector is a very weak safety link. I don't know what caused the fires or if Walmart is telling the truth. But I do know I would not rely on a city/county inspector to prevent them.
Robin
The whole Tesla leasing business model depends on the system producing and meeting contracted production quotas.

It is antithetical to the business model to have malfunctioning systems since they don’t produce or meet contractually obligated production output.

Tesla has 100s of thousands of leased systems that have produced gigawatt hour days and produced at contracted or above contracted levels of electricity.

There are many many consumer “testimonies” to the fact Tesla lease systems over produce beyond contracted obligations.

The claim of shoddy work doesn’t appear consistent with many customer production reviews nor the massive levels of production they are recording on a daily basis. It also doesn’t fall inline with stated and systematic company financial interests which are clearly aligned with the lease customer around production output, which is the primary purpose of all solar installations.

Cathie almost always discusses Tesla in her media appearances.

upload_2019-8-21_12-6-21.png

Is it time to make fossil fuels pay for their own societal costs by taxing gasoline and diesel to reflect their true costs to society?

Air Pollution And Your Child's Health | Gas 2

This news should be front and center. The true cost of this pollution must be astronomical once it's considered what this dysfunction costs business and industry, the justice and penal system and the health care system. This is in addition to the costs of global warming and rising sea levels.
How is this news, the article is from 2012.
These are newer

Air pollution associated with increase in NICU admissions

Air Pollution Is Slowly Killing Us All, New Global Study Claims | CleanTechnica

https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/policy/environment/article221668390.html

Yeah, all countries should be doing what Norway is doing - taxing pollution.

Let's not ignore Moody's trash talking worked into their upgrade yesterday. I'll examine 3 pts:
  • "Actions by Tesla's CEO, Elon Musk, have resulted in conflict with, and intervention by, the Securities and Exchange Commission"
So Moody's is trying to lay the blame for the meritless SEC contempt of court action on Musk? Really? When the SEC withdrew it, and the Judge made the parties rewrite the agreement? That's a stretch, Moody's, which will only influence investors who weren't paying attention.
  • "In addition, Mr. Musk's executive responsibilities with outside ventures such as SpaceX could tax his ability to adequately focus on Tesla's considerable challenges."
I guess 90 hrs per week at Tesla isn't up to Moody's super-secret standards. Do they at least acknowledge that Musk's other companies (ie: Boring tunnels) promise to bring substantial sales revenue to Tesla when they succeed?
  • "Tesla's board of directors has not demonstrated meaningful oversight over the CEO's activities, and there are board members who have close personal ties to Mr. Musk."
Moody's requires a public demonstration of oversight? How about a flogging? What exactly would satisfy them? Attempting to conflate oversight with loose concerns over personal relationships is beneath Moody's role as an objective credit rating bureau.

And thus, Moody's upgrade of Tesla's Credit Rating is lost in the FUD de jour. I wonder on what schedule Moody's releases these 'upgrades', and who decides when to do so? To me, its reminiscent of Congress passing a trillion $ tax cut on Christmas Eve w. no debate, just in time to go home to celebrate the coming of Christmas.

Amazing, Grace.

Last edited:
The claim of shoddy work doesn’t appear consistent with many customer production reviews nor the massive levels of production they are recording on a daily basis. It also doesn’t fall inline with stated and systematic company financial interests which are clearly aligned with the lease customer around production output, which is the primary purpose of all solar installations.
Didn't say the work was shoddy and you are certainly right about poor design or poor installation being inconsistent with a solar leasing company's self-interests. Only that I would not want to rely on a city/county inspector to shield me from shoddy work.
In aviation, new regs are often written in blood. In this case, they might be written in soot.
Robin

• Funny
Reactions: humbaba
Now feeling pretty good about selling my shares yesterday...

And now feeling very good about it.

Also, to clarify, I mentioned in an earlier post that I’m buying a home and, so, will need the funds I had invested in TSLA(and elsewhere) in the short term. Because short term movements are unpredictable, I decided to liquidate pretty much all of those(I’m still holding 4 shares of TSLA and 1 of AAPL, since I don’t have any dire need for that).

TLDR: I was going to pull out this money anyway due to external pressures and am expressing happiness with the timing vs a belief that TSLA is going to fall forever

• Helpful
Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
And now feeling very good about it.

Also, to clarify, I mentioned in an earlier post that I’m buying a home and, so, will need the funds I had invested in TSLA(and elsewhere) in the short term. Because short term movements are unpredictable, I decided to liquidate pretty much all of those(I’m still holding 4 shares of TSLA and 1 of AAPL, since I don’t have any dire need for that).

TLDR: I was going to pull out this money anyway due to external pressures and am expressing happiness with the timing vs a belief that TSLA is going to fall forever

I don’t these kind of gloating posts are considered very helpful. Neither are posts by people who need a lower price because they have some dry powder soon.

I think everyone here knows that communications is not a strong suit of Tesla.

But, in general, I don’t think it’s necessary to respond to every single concern.
Yeah, but this is a damaging enough story that on day one it's likely driving all or most of a net 4% hit to the stock (Tesla down 3%; NASDAQ up 1%). Every story I've read includes "we reached out to Tesla..." Their lack of response implies they have nothing to counter with. Sure, they're notoriously weak in the PR department. But isn't it time they fixed that? Again, this is about duty to shareholders.

Yeah, but this is a damaging enough story that on day one it's likely driving all or most of a net 4% hit to the stock (Tesla down 3%; NASDAQ up 1%). Every story I've read includes "we reached out to Tesla..." Their lack of response implies they have nothing to counter with. Sure, they're notoriously weak in the PR department. But isn't it time they fixed that? Again, this is about duty to shareholders.
Yes - even if nothing specific they can give a lawyer vetted generic statement.