Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Users on Reddit don't seem too enthused about the quotes: Introducing Tesla Insurance : teslamotors

But I imagine that Tesla Insurance will succeed with new owners just based on sheer convenience. It's a one-click buy from the Tesla account, so new purchasers have the choice between just clicking "Accept" to add Tesla insurance to their car upon purchase, or worrying about a VIN being displayed in time to pick the car up.

It seems a majority of the posters had higher quotes. But then again, people often take to complaining when something is bad, and not commenting when it's good or decent.

One poster also put it aptly, "I have multipoliy, multi-vehicle discount to my current plan, which is substantial--so it's not really comparable." (not exact quotes, but summarized).

It seems a majority of the posters had higher quotes. But then again, people often take to complaining when something is bad, and not commenting when it's good or decent.

One poster also put it aptly, "I have multipoliy, multi-vehicle discount to my current plan, which is substantial--so it's not really comparable." (not exact quotes, but summarized).

Here's one positive example: Introducing Tesla Insurance : teslamotors

As I imagined, for some people convenience is king:

"My friend from Cali just signed up. He said it was really less than a minute and it cost him the same what his liability used to cost with his previous provider."

I can get 250kms easily on the Autobahn with my Model X
Bjorn tested his Model X on the autobahn, and was unable to sustain more than 180 kmh due to heat-related power rollback. My estimate for Roadster2's 350 km rge is at 200 kmh.

How fast were you travelling in your X to get 250 km range? Here's a plot for Model S100 Rge vs Spd at 4 different ambient temperatures: (notice how fast you lose range as your average speed increases?)

model_s100_range_temp_imperial_grande.png

"My friend from Cali just signed up. He said it was really less than a minute and it cost him the same what his liability used to cost with his previous provider."

I live in so. Cal. got a quote for 180 a month... paying 100 a month. I have home owner and multi car discount. Insurance biz is not easy, hope this work for some people.

Tesla sold 40k cars in California in 1H19, it is a huge market for them. Tesla have the scale in California to make insurance a profitable business quickly, then quickly expand to further states and countries. 20-30% insurance cost reduction is a very significant reduction in total cost of ownership for Tesla vehicles and should be a good demand driver for its cars.

For people in California, how does your Tesla quote compare to your current insurance cost?

For myself it's as much for m3 insurance via tesla as for geico coverage for myself and wifey and m3 and my toyota truck. Not worth it.

Note that the wording still allows Tesla to look at vehicle data when processing insurance claims, correct? Most of the data and fee advantage would be from lowering underwriting costs.

Ooo... you're right, I missed that. Not that I have a problem with it -- but I will note that I had a "close call" (it wasn't really that close, the Tesla didn't even give a collision warning) and I knew it was the other driver's fault. But I reviewed the camera footage and discovered that I was wrong.

As another example, I hit "save" because an oncoming vehicle had crossed the line into my lane. I went to show it to my wife and... he crowded my lane, but his tire didn't completely cross into my lane. In other words, something that was plainly visible -- middle of a sunny day -- was not seen by me as it was by a camera.

The fallibility of eye witnesses is well known, but I think it will become more personal as more cars become equipped with cameras.

For people in California, how does your Tesla quote compare to your current insurance cost?

2.75x what I pay now

2642/year Tesla
962/year State Farm

Differences include SF having slightly higher Bodily Injury limits(250k/500k vs 100k/300k), but I also have my deductibles set at double the cost of the Tesla plan (500/1000 vs 250/500)

Also have multi-car and home with SF.

Another positive example:

"My quote on Tesla (Model 3) was actually a little less than I'm paying with State Farm for similar coverage. If I drop the deductables to min and max the coverage limits, it would be better plan for similar $.

$103/mth vs $120/mth (similar coverage)"​

Looks like Tesla is selecting low risk profile drivers, with a possible bonus for Autopilot and FSD owners - which is the correct approach IMO.

Wow, reading about peoples insurance costs in california is insane. UK here, model S 85D, I'm aged 49, rural UK. My insurance is approx $40/month. Some of the rates I see listed seem like they must be jokes.

Mine's around $100 per month for the I-PACE. :D I'm too young and live in (sub)urban UK. Also drive a jerk car, obviously.

Context:

And in a completely unrelated development, UAW's 5 year contracts with Detroit are up for re-negotiation this year and they are going to start negotiations next Monday:

Here's Why Thousands Of Autoworkers Could End Up On Strike Soon | HuffPost

"The United Auto Workers union is set to start bargaining new contracts covering 150,000 workers at Detroit’s Big Three on Monday in what could be the most contentious negotiations the auto industry has seen in years."​

In the coming weeks/months I'd expect UAW and their co-conspirators to flex their muscle in every which way they can to demonstrate their ... power even in non-union car factories.

The Trump administration is apparently not UAW's fan - which is fine if they are indeed corrupt.

Just had a quote with them. Tesla quoted me $179.48 /m. I am currently paying $104.2/mon.
Hmm, 15 seconds didnt save me 15% or more on car insurance.

Users on Reddit don't seem too enthused about the quotes: Introducing Tesla Insurance : teslamotors

But I imagine that Tesla Insurance will succeed with new owners just based on sheer convenience. It's a one-click buy from the Tesla account, so new purchasers have the choice between just clicking "Accept" to add Tesla insurance to their car upon purchase, or worrying about a VIN being displayed in time to pick the car up.

Last edited: