Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Out of my own experience—a daily AutoPilot user for the last 3.5 years—when you’re tired, it is easier to fall asleep with AutoPilot than without AutoPilot. Especially in the evenings on the freeway when it’s dark.

I agree with the majority in the autonomous world that driver monitoring is going to be important for the years where we gradually transition from driver supervision to full self driving.

It's a difference of opinion here. Some people are more alert with AP on because they know they are beta testing and helping the system train. I find myself to have similar drowsiness with AP on or off. I did find myself hitting lane markers yesterday with AP off and drowsy..so it's definitely safer to have AP on when you are that tired.

I do think this strategy of having min and max numbers on European cycle is a great strategy when efficiency is your main shortcoming. It really muddles the water and confuses everyone...which is exactly their point. Have a max hyper miled number using the European cycle around to be at Tesla's range and suddenly there's a Tesla killer in the making.

Q1 2020 :( Still hoping for earlier, but it sounds like the operating plan - barring some sort of crash in demand elsewhere - is that there won't be enough supply for us until GF3 comes online. :(

It was a really hard decision, as there's so many great people here and elsewhere that I've interacted with. Ultimately however I decided to give back to the people who'd been donating to help with my forestry project, and used the code of the top donor.

This is something like 12 times more than I've ever paid for a car in my life. ;)

Congrats Karen! I can confirm that the wait sucks :)

I think our first electric (pictured to the left) - we paid something like 4-6X more than any previous vehicle. It's a pretty common occurrence among Tesla owners. It's a big dynamic that I don't understand how auto industry investors (or competitors) don't notice and make better note of.

There's a wave of people doing this with Teslas. I'd never have plunked down even $20k (much less the $80k the used Roadster cost) for a gas burner. Merc / Audi / Cadillac / Porsche / name your luxury brand - clearly I could afford one, and they've never even made the list of vehicles for consideration.

Q1 2020 :( Still hoping for earlier, but it sounds like the operating plan - barring some sort of crash in demand elsewhere - is that there won't be enough supply for us until GF3 comes online. :(

It was a really hard decision, as there's so many great people here and elsewhere that I've interacted with. Ultimately however I decided to give back to the people who'd been donating to help with my forestry project, and used the code of the top donor.

This is something like 12 times more than I've ever paid for a car in my life. ;)

I feel your pain. Something like Q1 2021 for my Model Y.

Reactions: reardencode
Benzinga - this morning: This ARK ETF Is Flipping Its Script

TSLA is the top holding in ARKQ at over 11%.

By November 4th, the ARKQ ETF intends to have narrowed its focus to autonomous technology and robotics companies.

SEC Filing: https://secfilings.nasdaq.com/filingFrameset.asp?FilingID=13628646&RcvdDate=9/5/2019&CoName=ARK ETF TRUST&FormType=497K&View=html

Apparently this news attracted interest, as the ETF's trading volume greatly expanded today, while it closed at the high of the session with a gain of 1.37%.

I assume that over the next eight weeks, ARKQ will be trimming away its holdings that don't fit the refined criteria, add some new stocks that do, and expand its positioning in companies that are already appropriate.

Boy, it sure is a shame that Tesla may not be following the Nurburgring protocol to record an official record time.

Just like Porsche apparently didn't.

I haven't independently verified this, so take it with a grain of salt until someone else confirms.
somebody (sorry, I forget who) posted a link earlier (which I didn't bookmark) from a car magazine about Nürburgring and the short of it is that there aren't any protocols, no certification, its just a manufacturer's word that they did what they did with the car they say they did it with. There's (some) incentive to not exaggerate to avoid devaluing the alleged lap times, but without certification it is hard to have high confidence in the numbers.

edit: oops, apparently that article was just out of date:

As of the 2019 season, lap records are officially recorded, confirmed and published by the Nürburgring.

Last edited:
as far as the ID.3 ranges go, I hope this at least clears the claims up:

Vision made reality: world premiere of the ID.3

At series production launch, the ID.3 will be available with three battery size options. The basic variant has a usable energy content of 45 kWh and enables an electrically powered range of up to 330 kilometres (as per WLTP). The entry price for this ID.3 version is under €30,000. Alongside this is a battery variant with 58 kW, which enables the ID.3 to achieve a range of up to 420 km (as per WLTP). The energy content of the largest battery is 77 kWh, and its electric range is up to 550 kilometres (as per WLTP). Thanks to its fast charging capability, it is possible to charge the ID.3 sufficiently for a range of around 290 kilometres (WLTP) within 30 minutes, using a charging output of 100 kW.
This breaks down to:

45 kWh: 330 km WLTP (not yet released, "less than" €30,000)
58 kWh: 420 km WLTP (1ST, "less than" €40,000)
77 kWh: 550 km WLTP

Using the +12% correction factor I found for WLTP <-> EPA the 205 mile range would actually amount to 183 miles. The ID.3 1ST would have 233 mile range which implies 249 Wh/mile. That's pretty good and I'm not sure that I believe it, but it is plausible.

NBC news story was pretty good. Even had their correspondent drive a Tesla to show that the system warns the driver, so it was fair.

There was no anti-Tesla sentiment...just anti-stupid driver sentiment.

That’s not how I took it. It was still anti Tesla and knocking the autopilot name. They had to rehash the AP related crashes over the last few years. Unbelievable.

Meanwhile people fail to realize all the crashes that do occur from no autopilot features and drowsy drivers.

“The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration estimates that drowsy driving was responsible for 72,000 crashes, 44,000 injuries, and 800 deaths in 2013. However, these numbers are underestimated and up to 6,000 fatal crashes each year may be caused by drowsy drivers.”

Dangers of Drowsy Driving

Yes these drivers need to be fined heavily AND pay attention. But it sure seems like the media and the NTSB are trying to position themselves as saying these Tesla vehicles are dangerous.

That’s not how I took it. It was still anti Tesla and knocking the autopilot name. They had to rehash the AP related crashes over the last few years. Unbelievable.

Meanwhile people fail to realize all the crashes that do occur from no autopilot features and drowsy drivers.

“The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration estimates that drowsy driving was responsible for 72,000 crashes, 44,000 injuries, and 800 deaths in 2013.3 However, these numbers are underestimated and up to 6,000 fatal crashes each year may be caused by drowsy drivers.”

Dangers of Drowsy Driving

It's fine to rehash the AP related crashes because you don't want to come off as sleeping with AP on is safe. As for the auto pilot name, just like what Elon said, people need to look up what it's suppose to mean vs what they feel it means. People literally thinks pilot sleeps when auto pilot is engaged because their source is from Airplane!, the movie...

Reactions: madodel
Actually, with the white and orange, the interior doesn’t look bad to me at all, kind a nice looking... especially for an econo-box

View attachment 452746 View attachment 452747

Really? It looks to me, especially the tablet, as designed by someone from Fisher-Price.

71R5uH6ShvL._SY450_.jpg

It's fine to rehash the AP related crashes because you don't want to come off as sleeping with AP on is safe. As for the auto pilot name, just like what Elon said, people need to look up what it's suppose to mean vs what they feel it means. People literally thinks pilot sleeps when auto pilot is engaged because their source is from Airplane!, the movie...

If it was solely to “educate Tesla owners” to remind them Autopilot is not fully autonomous....then ok...I suppose.

But that is NOT how john q public interprets it. Every time something like that comes up, different people have come up to me and said, “I’d never buy a Tesla, they are unsafe.” Or “aren’t you worried about crashing?”

FYI: Sleeping Tesla driver will be on NBC Nightly News any minute now.
It was on ABC News as well. Pretty amazing a car can drive itself but they didn't mention that of course. All they said was that it was a Tesla and they didn't know if he woke up. Of course had he crashed that would have made it to every sleazebag website so I'd guess he woke up when the car started to warn him or it was all fake.