Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its not a big back seat I think his description was fair. for him its tight. most "first looks" with hosts over 5'10 have said this and I don't believe the first picture guy is 6'2 as this guy is 6'2" and well:
Sure, but I WILL NOT have my legs cut off at the knee just for the privilege of buying a car for ~200k€ and then sit in the back. :p

funny that I post this and then Elon posts this a few minutes ago. Guess we're all on the same wavelength today. heh

Elon Musk on Twitter

Absolutely love Elon´s current series of tweets. No-nonsense, very informative and straightforward and best of all: on topic. Opposite of the times around cave-rescue/pedo-gate and SEC fight.

Sorry, but many of those images just show me (IMG) (with different brackets, obv) IDKY, because some images do show.
Blame the full møøn.

They all show up for me.
Screenshot_20190914_210545.png

The short of it: if Bjørn is hitting his head in the back, a lot of people will. It's 4-seat because it's too tight for 5, and it's not even that much space for 2 rear passengers. Front is more constrained than the Model 3 as well, worsened by the centre console design. Go watch Bjørn's video.

He found the charge port gizmo fun to play with, though :)

I usually read as many posts as possible, but as I was examining the stock charts, I found this very important indicator, and had to jump ahead here...
It’s called the FU indicator...

Any thoughts on its significance?
View attachment 454844
Obviously a fail and a crash! Was there a Tesla involved, or just the usual suspects (BMW, GM, Ford ... etc ad nauseam) ?
Absent any tea leaves I would divine a significant stock movement next week! Or some other time.

Edited to add: Of course it could also be simply a failed crash. Sorry, but I need bass entrails to read that.

I wondered also and did some calculations:

Based on
Tesla Model 3 Battery Pack & Battery Cell Teardown Highlights Performance Improvements | CleanTechnica

Jack Rickard’s measurements:
Model S pack density = 126.7 Wh / kg
Model 3 pack density = 159.5 Wh / kg

So Model S pack weighs 100,000 Wh / 126.7 Wh / kg = 790 kg
100 kWh Model 3 pack would weigh 100,000 / 159.5 = 627 kg

So just replacing Model S pack with a Model 3 pack scaled to 100 kWh should result in;
790 kg - 627 kg = 163 kg or 360 lbs.

Yes, and Tesla having some newer battery technology that is even better than Model 3 batteries should not surprise anyone...

The rumours are just rumours, until we get official specs.

It isn't just about beating the Taycan around the Ring, it is about improving batteries and EVs to the point where ICE can't hope to compete.

IMO batteries and EVs have all the momentum... and it is going to happen fast...

Do you think it will be
1. One Induction in front + Two PM in the back
or
2. One PM in the front +2 Induction in the back

I am leaning toward no.2 for the range sake

I'm leaning towards 1.... I have no doubt the rear motors are big motors and need to be PM, so they don't generate too much heat.

On the gearing the front induction motor may be geared lower to assist with launches and may simply coast at higher speeds (I'm rapidly getting out of my depth here ...)

If my understanding is correct, this set up may allow the rear motors to be geared slightly higher (or I am out of my depth)

Yes, and Tesla having some newer battery technology that is even better than Model 3 batteries should not surprise anyone...

The rumours are just rumours, until we get official specs.

It isn't just about beating the Taycan around the Ring, it is about improving batteries and EVs to the point where ICE can't hope to compete.

IMO batteries and EVs have all the momentum... and it is going to happen fast...

One thing I hear constantly is that fit and finish, build quality and noise isolation for Tesla are not up to European marques. The Fully Charged new show really raves about the EQC. Any feedback from a Tesla owners who have checked them out?

• Helpful
Reactions: Lessmog
Weekend OT:
yesterday I was having lunch with the only Tesla owner I know. We we're discussing the new Tesla he wants to get (he's lease is closing), Raven and whatnot. He's rich guy, and has even richer friends, who own all sorts of supercars: Ferraris, Lamborghini's, Maserati's (we're in Modena after all). He told me that it's not that uncommon to actually own a low-end Ferrari: it's not cheap, but it's not impossible either.

What's really impossible are hypercars: the Bugatti's, the Pagani's.
It's an order of magnitude in price for a step up in velocity and acceleration.
And, in his opinion, this is why the Roadster 2 will be bought like candies: it's in the ballpark of the hypercars costing "just" like a supercar. You can't have that acceleration and that velocity at Ferrary prices.
People who can buy a 200k€ car cannot buy a 1.2M€ car.
It's counterintuitive (at least for me) but if Tesla delivers the specs they promised they will actually be the low-cost equivalent in that market. The Ryanair of hypercars.

Btw, he's literally friend with the actual Ferrari and Maserati families ;-)

One thing I hear constantly is that fit and finish, build quality and noise isolation for Tesla are not up to European marques. The Fully Charged new show really raves about the EQC. Any feedback from a Tesla owners who have checked them out?

This Fully Charged video on Frankfurt Motor Show has some shots of various cars and lot of useful information:-

More than anything it is helping to convince me that EVs are about to take off, and I think that will be good for Tesla.

VW group and Daimler seem to be making good progress...

I don't think Tesla fans and investors need to worry the "Tesla Killer" myth is a myth... once ICE cars are 5% of the new cars sales market we can judge who won the EV market share land grab...

That is why Tesla is serious about scaling up battery production, first in gets to stake the claim...

If you watch the video VW group is doing a lot of things, they are also going to stake a few claims...

Last edited:
A few tweets from Elon about product allocation and the mismatch i mentioned earlier. very timely tweets.

Elon Musk on Twitter

This should settle the debates about why Tesla changes price and offers incentives.

At end of quarter, there is always some error in product mix allocation between the roughly 40 global regions, due to planning mistakes & logistics problems (Earth is a big place). Small changes in prices are needed to correct local supply/demand imbalances.​

Yes, it is because supply is more than the demand - at that time, in that geo, for that mix.

• Love
Reactions: kbM3
This should settle the debates about why Tesla changes price and offers incentives.

At end of quarter, there is always some error in product mix allocation between the roughly 40 global regions, due to planning mistakes & logistics problems (Earth is a big place). Small changes in prices are needed to correct local supply/demand imbalances.​

Yes, it is because supply is more than the demand - at that time, in that geo, for that mix.

Or you could read it as demand is more than supply for a given option combination so they have to push buyer to a different option (options that cost Tesla roughly the same, like different colors).

Well, they still have to pay fixed costs plus labor costs - which is a lot due to vertical integration, and while auto parts might benefit from a payables delay, many other raw materials don't.

@EVNow might want to correct me, but the ~60 days payables delay only affects about $20k from a $50k unit - I.e. about half of the $40k cost of goods.

That statement isn't even accurate. Tesla doesn't have to pay their suppliers for the parts to make the car until 60-90 after receipt. Which puts it at... oh yeah AFTER they sold the car.

They are never in the hole on the deal. Their daily cash balance shifts, but again: $5 Billion.

My rough calculation is that payables delta for a quarter has been ~ 80% of COGS - in the last 4 quarters. So, for a $50k unit with 20% margin would translate to about $32k payables. Ofcourse all sorts of things can go into payables ... and I'm ignoring non-auto.

Irrespective of whether Tesla is in a hole or not - their cash flow is indeed stressed in the first 2 months of the year because of the wave. Their revenue is quite a bit down in the first 2 months - but they have to pay their full payroll. I think that was part of the reason for the most recent cap raise.

More importantly, better cash flow helps in profitability by reducing interest on working capital loans. So, efficiency in delivery is always a good thing.

Or you could read it as demand is more than supply for a given option combination so they have to push buyer to a different option (options that cost Tesla roughly the same, like different colors).
In the current case, It looks like they have more cars in US and less in UK. Irrespective of mix - because the 2 year free SC is for all cars. So, in this case, its a geo-imbalance.

For eg., if they had more demand for SR+ and less for AWD, they could offer free SC only for AWD. But that is not what they are doing. BTW, in UK they increased Perf price.

BTW, free SC is much better than actual price decrease.