Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's impossible, can't be. After all and according to Ihor's data, short interest went down ;)

Edit: to be fair, Ihor's statement is that short position is down over the last 30 days which is in line with my view that some short covering happened during the recent run-up. Now that this run-up has paused, it might be that shorts try to get the grip back. Spike in borrow fee as short demand increases.

I look at activities by the shorts in two ways:

Short interest: This is a measure of the quantity of shares currently in the hands of short-sellers. It's been hovering close to 39 million shares for the past two months. When short interest is growing, new net shorting is taking place, which puts downward pressure on the stock price.The opposite dynamic is true as short interest decreases.

Percentage of selling by TSLA shorts: This is the number that volumebot and similar companies provide us on a daily basis. It tells us what percentage of the ticker stock sales for TSLA that day were marked SHORT for short-selling. This number is always somewhat exaggerated because when multiple transactions are combined together in one ticker unit, if there's a single sale by a short in the group, the whole group of sales is counted as short. Nonetheless, the number gives us a RELATIVE idea of percent of selling that is being done by shorts that day. How can the number go from 35% to 55%? If shorts are manipulating the stock, they can sell in large quantities at a critical moment one minute to push the stock down and then do a slow cover over a period of time when the buying has the least impact on raising the stock priice. When done with elan, the manipulation can indeed put downward pressure on the stock price. Thus, we can see days like today when the percent of selling by shorts is very high but the short interest doesn't budge.

First post,

After reading the forum for about a year, I've now placed orders for 103 shares. So now being an investor I've joined TMC and will post here occasionally.

My investment is long term 5-10 years and I'll probably increase it by about 20 shares in a few days.

I bought more 24 shares a few days ago, probably no more for a few months, but I will have some more funds available mid-November and more again next February.

One reason for buying TSLA is as a hedge against Brexit, if things go really badly (which is a possibility, but not a high one IMO), then the pound might fall a lot in the next few months. More likely is I think a gradual slide, which could be a considerable boost over the decade long expected term of my investment when denominated in pounds.

I am actively looking for other green/ethical companies or funds to invest in, but it is hard to find anything with the potential of TSLA.

The Morgan Stanley quote is:

"SpaceX is accelerating plans to deploy and commercialize satellite broadband with significant implications for capital demands, valuation… and potential strategic implications for Tesla."
Not sure what they mean by that, but Elon has said multiple times that Tesla`s won`t be connected to Starlink. He says the antenna required would be the size of a pizza box - not a good look on the cars and a pretty big drag ( :) ) on aero.

Last edited:
Not sure what they mean by that, but Elon has said multiple times that Tesla`s won`t be connected to Starlink. He says the antenna required would be the size of a pizza box - not a good look on the cars and a pretty big drag :)p) on aero.

As well as my suggestion above that the gateways may be co-located with service and delivery centers, there seems potential to add user terminals to solar installations, when Tesla have to have access to the roof for solar it is low cost to add a phase-array antenna.

I think we're forgetting, this is the car that broke the roof strength test machine... it doesn't need a roll cage. Maybe one is required and maybe not, is it actually in the rules for Nurburgring?

The Ring is a public road. So no roll cages required. Anyone can take their vehicles when it's not closed off for special events.

I should think a roll cage is a good idea though if you are really pushing limits.

Not sure what they mean by that, but Elon has said multiple times that Tesla`s won`t be connected to Starlink. He says the antenna required would be the size of a pizza box - not a good look on the cars and a pretty big drag ( :) ) on aero.

Superchargers could be connected to StarLink, as could Mobile phone towers...typically Mobile phone towers need fibre back-haul to connect them to the internet... eliminating that may be a substantial cost savings. Tesla's could talk to towers talking to StarLink.

Whether or not Tesla or Space-X will do their own Mobile phone towers is hard to guess.

Cold thrusters and heat shields in Teslas. Tesla theatre and seats in starships. Tesla Pickup as Mars Rover. And, and... :cool:

Not really their SpaceX base valuation is $52 B, and bull case is only $120 B.

Morgan Stanley is undervaluing SpaceX in a similar fashion they are undervaluing Tesla: Adam Jonas recently valued Tesla's FSD tech at $6b - while MobilEye with inferior tech and no self-learning fleet sold for $15b a few years ago...

Superchargers could be connected to StarLink, as could Mobile phone towers...typically Mobile phone towers need fibre back-haul to connect them to the internet... eliminating that may be a substantial cost savings. Tesla's could talk to towers talking to StarLink.

Whether or not Tesla or Space-X will do their own Mobile phone towers is hard to guess.

Just imagine, if they have the frequency allocations and permission they could install a new cell alongside installing a new SuperCharger - just like they did at the Nürburgring yesterday. Their cells could even be completely isolated from the grid and from fiber networks, solar+battery backed and maybe trickle-charged from the grid - which would open up a lot of cheap real estate for them to utilize, off the beaten path.

They could cover a significant percentage of a country "brute force" by installing large macro-cells that can serve everything within 10 km - they wouldn't need any fiber connections and point-to-point radio links for the towers.

One disadvantage is that ideal cellular tower locations are at hilltops and on high buildings, while ideal SuperCharger locations are near roads which follow valleys most of the time. But I think this could be addressed by having more cells, and having a few cell-only installations to gain full coverage.

StarLink Mobile could be almost instantly present in any country or region once they get frequency allocations and permissions - and immediately get connected to the global StarLink network. Having mobile service would increase their ability to serve denser population centers - StarLink in itself has a hard limit on the density of ground receivers of just a few dozen receivers per square km I believe.

The network effects and economics of StarLink are incredible IMO - but I think initially SpaceX will concentrate on earning cash through serving Internet-starved communities, of which there's a lot.

The Ring is a public road. So no roll cages required. Anyone can take their vehicles when it's not closed off for special events.

I should think a roll cage is a good idea though if you are really pushing limits.

My god. I think the funniest thing going 'round the 'ring was the DHL truck being chased by all those modded cars.

But yes, I think that for average driver, no roll cages required, but even for Tesla's amazing Model S, I'd put them in because its an increased chance of flipping when you're trying to beat 7:42.

Morgan Stanley is undervaluing SpaceX in a similar fashion they are undervaluing Tesla: Adam Jonas recently valued Tesla's FSD tech at $6b - while MobilEye with inferior tech and no self-learning fleet sold for $15b a few years ago...

how does adam jonas still have a job? I don't mean as a market analyst, I mean even street sweeping? the guy seems to *ahem* not be exactly gifted.