Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a quote from Dan Ives of Wedbush. He is estimating 88,000 to 90,000 deliveries in Q3. That's why he thinks it's an Herculean task to reach 360,000 for the full year. See his quote below from another article.
If Q3 comes in at 100k or better, he'll move the goal posts and start harping on profits...just watch.

Wedbush analyst Dan Ives, who has a Neutral rating and a $220 price target on the shares—below FactSet’s $268 average—said Thursday that a range of 88,000 to 90,000 deliveries is likely.[/QUOT

If we get a sequentially down quarter, which I doubt, that would be a real blow. I think we will get at least 95k, and if that is the case, as long as gross margin's haven't deteriorated then the stock should be ok.

We just had one of those “shock at the pump” articles on the midday news (Australian ABC). No mention of electric cars - they still deliver these items as if motorists have no choice other than pay up or take the bus. Shoddy journalism.

(Yeah, old habits die hard, but if I say “shoddy journalism”, somebody at the ABC might take offence and lift their game).

The cause, apparently, was those drone strikes that were going to be fixed in a week. Imagine, standing at the pump, lustfully watching the Teslas drive by.... Oil is so screwed.

We just had one of those “shock at the pump” articles on the midday news (Australian ABC). No mention of electric cars - they still deliver these items as if motorists have no choice other than pay up or take the bus. Shoddy journalism.

(Yeah, old habits die hard, but if I say “shoddy journalism”, somebody at the ABC might take offence and lift their game).

The cause, apparently, was those drone strikes that were going to be fixed in a week. Imagine, standing at the pump, lustfully watching the Teslas drive by.... Oil is so screwed.
Had a shock at the pump a month ago when three of the four pumps had no gas— this was before the oil price manipulation err drone strike... SO was silent as we waited to fill her car, could have taken the MX instead—Southlake tx

Elon and Greta need to have a chat about economic growth. In Greta’s UN speech she refers to the fantasy of endless economic growth. She’s right of course, endless growth of the only type possible at present (using finite resources) is a path of doom.

Hopefully Elon can convince her that a circular economy is possible and achievable. Indeed, I would like somebody to convince me. A high percentage of big stuff, like cars, gets recycled, but recycle rates on the small stuff like plastic water bottles are dismal.

They’re kind of both right. We need unsustainable growth to transition tech to a position where we can have a sustainable economy. Bad for good. Yikes.

Greta Thunberg doesn't just rub up right leaning climate-change deniers the wrong way. She rubs me up the wrong way because I believe that overall her messaging is counter productive to the goal.

It's easy to gallavant all over the place talking about the evil of GDP growth, if you're a teenager from one of the world's very richest countries. Less so for billions of others out there that desperately need GDP growth if they and their siblings are to reach adulthood and have productive and meaningful lives thereafter.

Most of those same kids of course also need action on climate change on top of aggregate GDP growth. But environmentalism will only succeed once its goals are co-opted by the political centre ground, so that proposed solutions carry the fierce winds of capitalism behind their backs rather than against them. Trying to shame people into leading poorer, more menial and duller lives won't work.

Musk understands this. Make EVs better/safter/cheaper and you solve the problem, it doesn't matter what the politicians or special interests say at that point. It's why he will be remembered as the epochal figure that turned the tide against climate change and Greta and her school-skipping mates will be lucky to feature as a footnote.

Ugg you aren't the only one, only it was my whole family and they still haven't come around yet, they test drove one and last time they talked about it it was "too hard to get into" even though their ice car is the same size.

The S and 3 do tend to be lower than their old-fashioned counterparts. I would do a little friendly ribbing that they are getting old before their time. When it comes to leg strength it's a matter of use it or lose it.

Reactions: EVMeister
Elon Musk broke US labor laws on Twitter: An administrative judge says Tesla tried to sabotage efforts to unionize factory workers in California. : politics

I found this thread both fascinating and disturbing. /r/politics is a very left-leaning subreddit, yet this post from today is filled with a ton of misinformed anti-Musk vitriol.

This verges on politics, but I think it’s important for TSLA’s mission and it should be a correctable misunderstanding.

Here’s my attempt to simplify it down to twitter-length. That means it’s oversimplified. Feel free to use any or all of it, and alter as you see fit.

https://twitter.com/mblakele/status/1179209297936306176

#Tesla makes EVs for money

Turns out that's #progressive

Wait what?

Because $TSLA transfers wealth from rich people to working-class people with manufacturing jobs. Redistributing wealth.

It gets better: @tesla also makes rich people subsidize #ClimateAction​

Greta Thunberg doesn't just rub up right leaning climate-change deniers the wrong way. She rubs me up the wrong way because I believe that overall her messaging is counter productive to the goal.

It's easy to gallavant all over the place talking about the evil of GDP growth, if you're a teenager from one of the world's very richest countries. Less so for billions of others out there that desperately need GDP growth if they and their siblings are to reach adulthood and have productive and meaningful lives thereafter.

Most of those same kids of course also need action on climate change on top of aggregate GDP growth. But environmentalism will only succeed once its goals are co-opted by the political centre ground, so that proposed solutions carry the fierce winds of capitalism behind their backs rather than against them. Trying to shame people into leading poorer, more menial and duller lives won't work.

Musk understands this. Make EVs better/safter/cheaper and you solve the problem, it doesn't matter what the politicians or special interests say at that point. It's why he will be remembered as the epochal figure that turned the tide against climate change and Greta and her school-skipping mates will be lucky to feature as a footnote.

You talk as if swapping ICE for BEV solves everything. It solves maybe a third of the problem. For the remaining two thirds, we need Greta and her growing army of climate strikers to fix the markets to price the unpriced externality of carbon pollution. That also helps Tesla. I’ll take both Elon and Greta thanks.

This verges on politics, but I think it’s important for TSLA’s mission and it should be a correctable misunderstanding.

Here’s my attempt to simplify it down to twitter-length. That means it’s oversimplified. Feel free to use any or all of it, and alter as you see fit.

https://twitter.com/mblakele/status/1179209297936306176

#Tesla makes EVs for money

Turns out that's #progressive

Wait what?

Because $TSLA transfers wealth from rich people to working-class people with manufacturing jobs. Redistributing wealth.

It gets better: @tesla also makes rich people subsidize #ClimateAction​

I don't like it. That makes Teslas sound like they cost a lot and are unaffordable to normal working people, neither of which is really true.

Apple products are manufactured in foreign countries where ... working conditions and expectations are harsh, leading to suicide (see, for example, Apple contractor Foxconn).
Utter drivel. This is just the sort of nonsense believed by those who are "not familiar with [Apple], and only read about them in the biased media" as you so aptly put it.

Not denying there were suicides, but the context is that the rate wasn't particularly unusual and in fact was less that the surrounding city's rate. This was FUD for the gullible, pure and simple. Apple has been historically the target of more FUD than anybody before Tesla came along. Heavily shorted and hated by Wall Street, you know.

The S and 3 do tend to be lower than their old-fashioned counterparts. I would do a little friendly ribbing that they are getting old before their time. When it comes to leg strength it's a matter of use it or lose it.
Yeah unfortunately they do have trouble with the use or or lose nature and the car they got has about 1/2" less than a 3. Shame too because the care they got didn't even have adaptive cruise control and they would really benefit from that or autopilot.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Mobius484
I don't like it. That makes Teslas sound like they cost a lot and are unaffordable to normal working people, neither of which is really true.

100% agree. But it’s addressed at people who are already convinced of both those things. I figure the first step is to open up the possibility that Tesla might not be totally evil.

How would you approach that problem?

The very first time you paraphrased her message, you got it wrong. She never said that GDP growth was evil.

So I quit reading right there.
"All you can talk about is money and fairy tales of eternal economic growth. How dare you!...You say you hear us and that you understand the urgency. But no matter how sad and angry I am, I do not want to believe that. Because if you really understood the situation and still kept on failing to act, then you would be evil".

All's I'm saying, she doesn't need to convince you or me or anyone reading and writing on this forum. She needs to convince the mass of global society, the political centre ground, and work with capitalism not against it. Her language, message and demeanour is totally counterproductive to that goal.

And outside of the bubble in the wider world, I can tell you that she's coming across very badly indeed with the people that are yet to be persuaded. I know it will make me unpopular for saying so. Oh well. We've got Q3 P&D to look forward to today. That's real action on solving the problem and turning the tide of opinion.

Last edited: