Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jack Rickard's first run in the 2013 MS was unusually low WHs/mile. I never got that kind of efficiency with my same-era MS unless I had a tailwind. Similar results with OEM Goodyears and Pirelli P7s.
Not the unusual.
Jul_5_2019.jpg

In my understanding, Advanced Summoning will bring the car to you, through private parking lots.
Full Self Driving is what we use while on the interstate to drive , change lanes and take exits as per you navigation selection
No, freeways are just AP. They keep changing the meaning, so I'm confused.
Trying to decide if Tesla can claim my FSD payment this Quarter...

What exactly do you think Uber has that Tesla needs to run Robotaxi service ?

- cars ? Nope, tesla has those.
- drivers ? Nope, Tesla has autopilot
- phone app ? Well, Tesla already has a phone app, I'm sure they can add the missing features for robotaxi ride share in a few days of dev work
- brand name ? Nope, Tesla has them beat by orders of magnitude on this one

any other idea ? I'm drawing a blank...

Uber’s system is not easy to duplicate, and also, Tesla has almost zero chance to make the robotaxi work in next 10 years, so no need to waste time to think about the way of cooperation stuff...

What exactly do you think Uber has that Tesla needs to run Robotaxi service ?

- cars ? Nope, tesla has those.
- drivers ? Nope, Tesla has autopilot
- phone app ? Well, Tesla already has a phone app, I'm sure they can add the missing features for robotaxi ride share in a few days of dev work
- brand name ? Nope, Tesla has them beat by orders of magnitude on this one

any other idea ? I'm drawing a blank...
Sadly, $54B Mkt cap... :oops:

FSD Full-Self-Driving , uses the navigation in order to take you to a selected place, using the onboard maps.
No they can't count AP as FSD
Clear as mud. You're describing NoA (Nav on Autopilot). That's not FSD as I understand it.
But is Advance Summon a component of FSD (provided only for those with paid FSD). It sure looks driverless anyway o_O

Maybe. As a new manufacturer, Bollinger has its work cut out, but GM hasn't exactly been a mover or shaker when it comes to EVs. The first attempt to slow adoption was their hybrid (Volt), and the EV (Bolt) isn't exactly inspiring. Nissan (for all the faults of the Leaf) takes it seriously, GM just wants EVs to go away.

edit to add:

I get it, its a puff piece. But the target market for Hummers doesn't give a hoot about environmentally friendly, no icing on that cake. Brand name could help sales, sure, but they are exaggerating the synergy.

I know plenty of guys that love the look and functionality of Hummer but can't stomach 9 mpg like Arnold Schwarzenegger.

I know plenty of guys that love G Wagons but would rather get a thumbs up when driving around Los Angeles instead of the middle finger.

Mary Barra wants to convert an ICE factory to a cell manufacturing factory and another ICEv factory to a BEV factory.

We can't demand OEMs change and then take a dump on them when they start to.

Based on how they turned the original Hummer into a kit car over a Tahoe, I don't think so. The Bollinger is a work vehicle. The GM Hummer was for those who had a problem with their shoe size.

H1
H2
H3

The market for H3 is much bigger than H1.

I am sure GM's truck will have air bags too.

Bollinger is outsourcing production engineering and production.

That is not really a great place to be to compete with GM.

You create value by doing hard things.

Off by themselves in a white space I gave Bollinger a 50/50 chance.

Reactions: shootformoon
No, freeways are just AP. They keep changing the meaning, so I'm confused.
Trying to decide if Tesla can claim my FSD payment this Quarter...
We have talked a ton about this.

Revenue deferred earlier for EAP and a small fraction of what is deferred for FSD (post EAP) can be claimed, since both these have Enh Summon as one of the items. Something like $30M to $50M.

Tesla has almost zero chance to make the robotaxi work in next 10 years
You think so? Well, then you will be happy to hear that neroden (still) agrees with you. From a comment thread at Cleantechnica: I know tons about "self driving" tech. Pico is right. It will not be ready for robotaxis for years, maybe decades. Trust me.

You think so? Well, then you will be happy to hear that neroden (still) agrees with you. From a comment thread at Cleantechnica: I know tons about "self driving" tech. Pico is right. It will not be ready for robotaxis for years, maybe decades. Trust me.
Anyone who tried to predict with a high degree of certainty (or hubris) what future tech will or won't do is a fool.

I tend to agree with Jack Richard about Gali is a great hype man, and he's in love with the company, and his passion is contageous. But he tends to only get a skin-deep level of knowledge about things before he starts running off about them. He takes press releases at face value, bought into the "demand hypothesis" after Q1, got all excited about supercapacitors after the Maxwell acquisition, etc etc.

Who is Jack Richard and what was the "demand hypothesis" after Q1?

One of Gali's best talents, and the reason I thought he would make a great addition to the discussion panel, is that he has a keen intellect in such an environment and can thoughtfully and directly address questions without beating around the bush. He's also very good at remembering relevant facts and figures to support his views. He's very good at remaining on point and speaking off the cuff, when he doesn't have prepared remarks, particularly in a low-pressure environment like a podcast where there are other participants.

Uber’s system is not easy to duplicate,
Agreed. No company, not even Tesla, can cultivate such toxic culture.

and also, Tesla has almost zero chance to make the robotaxi work in next 10 years, so no need to waste time to think about the way of cooperation stuff...
As they say - we tend to overestimate the short run and under estimate the long run. Very true of Tesla.

Besides, everyone knows autonomous cars are 5 years away. Sergey said so in 2012 ;)

Google's Sergey Brin: You'll ride in robot cars within 5 years