Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Subscribe to read | Financial Times

Elon Musk has long wanted to eat the German carmakers’ lunch, but no one thought he would have the audacity to do it in their own staff canteen. When he announced this week that Tesla would build its first European production plant near Berlin, there can be no doubt that it his intention. The German government was exultant. Peter Altmaier, economics minister, said it provided “further proof of how attractive Germany is as a place to make cars”, and was a “milestone” on the country’s path towards electromobility. But there was also shock at Mr Musk’s chutzpah. Here was an upstart entrepreneur throwing down the gauntlet to some of Germany’s most successful and long-established companies on their home turf. The conservative Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung newspaper called it a “declaration of war”.

Some were surprised that Mr Musk had chosen to locate the facility in Brandenburg, the state surrounding Berlin, which does not have a carmaking tradition. It is hundreds of miles from Baden-Württemberg, home to Daimler, Bosch and Porsche, and from Wolfsburg, the town in Lower Saxony where Volkswagen is headquartered. [German carmakers] have been sitting in their own diesel la-la-land for far too long. It’s good that someone’s coming in to challenge them Arndt Ellinghorst, Evercore ISI But the symbolism of locating near Berlin, one of Europe’s hippest cities with a huge pool of technical talent, is significant. “Berlin rocks!” Mr Musk said when he unveiled the gigafactory plans. “As a production site, Berlin sounds a lot cooler than some out-of-the-way place in Poland, Hungary or West Germany,” said Ferdinand Dudenhöffer of the University of Duisberg-Essen’s Centre for Automotive Research.

With traditional companies making big bets on electric, Tesla will soon face serious competition. The VDA, the main German auto lobby, was blasé about Mr Musk’s gigafactory announcement. German carmakers, said VDA head Bernhard Mattes, were already investing in electromobility and “will increase their electric model range fivefold by 2023” to more than 150. “We don’t shy away from competition — quite the contrary,” Mr Mattes said. As Germany becomes a main player in electric vehicles, Tesla’s gambit makes sense because the company needs to be where the action is, say experts. “There’s no question that Europe will be at 20-30 per cent fully electric vehicles by the end of the 2020s, and be the biggest market after China,” said Evercore’s Mr Ellinghorst. “And if Musk wants to play in Europe, he needs to produce in Europe and be seen as a European player.”

Whenever I hear buzzwords like 'electromobility' I know they are full of *sugar*.

Yeah, w. just 3.8M shares traded by 3:30 pm, this isn't so much a 'battle' as an ARMISTICE. :rolleyes:

Dry powder tucked away for next week.

Cheers!

View attachment 477352

Yep, low volume today - most buyers realise it's likely an uphill battle with the MM's running the show for today. Nevertheless, it's above 350 still...

Welcome to the 350 grudge match!

In this corner, wearing the dark trunks, is Hedge Fund Insanity, trying to defend 350-strike calls sold that expire today. We've seen an insane effort from this fighter all week long, and now we're down to the final 15 minutes of the match!

And in this corner, wearing the beige trunks, is Long Trader, hoping to score some shares near 350 before close because this whole week has been a 350 circus hosted by Hedge Fund Insanity, and expectations are for rising prices next week.

And there's the fighters advancing in center ring!

Edit: And Long Trader wins in a decision by 2 points!

Last edited:

Battery (type) makes little difference on rated range. Silicon carbide inverters make a difference. Trad car makers waited until suppliers picked up this technology (better say will release them in 2020-2021).

If however this sentence below is true for the i4, then this spec is impressive because they will give up some efficiency with the induction motors.

"BMW wants to do without rare earth in its electric drives by switching to externally excited asynchronous motors from 2021."

BMW opens Battery Competence Centre in Munich - electrive.com

• Helpful
Reactions: Thekiwi
You've got it wrong. If it closes even one penny above 350 then, unless you instruct your broker otherwise shortly after the market close, your call will be subject to automatic exercise and it is YOU who will have to "shell out" $35,000 in exchange for 100 shares of Tesla. The people you paid will have to give you the stock, not money.
Yes, I was simplifying from my perspective as I never have that kind of cash in my account and the stock exchange and resell looks that way.