Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How will a small community of 2k people accommodate a Tesla workforce of 5-10k people?
Because Hurt, Virginia is also known to the railroad as the Hurt Connector.....It is the only location on the East Coast where a train can go East, West, North or South from the same location.....the community has sub-divisions going up right and left.

Because Hurt, Virginia is also known to the railroad as the Hurt Connector.....It is the only location on the East Coast where a train can go East, West, North or South from the same location.....the community has sub-divisions going up right and left.

Ok, must be going to be distribution/storage center for in-transit vehicle products transitioning from rail to truck etc

Just to follow up on this, I wanted to post this close to the time of my reservation for whatever useful value the order # might have, but I didn't have time to add comments.

Comments:

I own a 3 (5 months old) and have a long term plan to find the right time to upgrade to a Y. My two complaints with the 3 is the driver seating position (coming from a Pilot as my daily driver) and the breakover angle (my driveway has a somewhat sharp peak and my 3 will scrape the under carriage when the whole family is in the car - try telling your wife that it doesn't happen until she gets in).

I watched the Cybertruck reveal live and absolutely did not like the design.

I watched the video on tesla.com the next morning and it started growing on me.

Then I started thinking about the price. For the same $40k, why would I chose the SR+ model 3 vs. the base model Cybertruck? The truck has more interior room, more functionality (if needed), the only difference is the 3 will be more efficient with energy. Then I started thinking that the Cybertruck could easily replace the needs that our Pilot fulfills as our family car (with 2-3 large dogs) and we could upgrade my wife when the lease expires in 2022.

Convincing the wife: She's a preschool director and is having a hard time thinking about driving it to work. It just looks too flashy, gaudy, military-like, different. I presented the case that it will prove much more functional than the Pilot, while offering basically the same inside space. She still wasn't convinced. Then I showed her this vinyl wrap ( Satin Perfect Blue 3M™ Wrap | 1080 Series Wrap Film ) and she was instantly sold on placing a deposit.

I'm not certain we'll complete the purchase, I mainly wanted to put in the deposit to lock in FSD pricing and figure we can figure things out in 2-3 years. But, then I mentioned that maybe I'll take it as a replacement to my Model 3 and she said to put in a second deposit.

We still only have 1 deposit. I'll think about the second over the coming weeks.

Do
Just to follow up on this, I wanted to post this close to the time of my reservation for whatever useful value the order # might have, but I didn't have time to add comments.

Comments:

I own a 3 (5 months old) and have a long term plan to find the right time to upgrade to a Y. My two complaints with the 3 is the driver seating position (coming from a Pilot as my daily driver) and the breakover angle (my driveway has a somewhat sharp peak and my 3 will scrape the under carriage when the whole family is in the car - try telling your wife that it doesn't happen until she gets in).

I watched the Cybertruck reveal live and absolutely did not like the design.

I watched the video on tesla.com the next morning and it started growing on me.

Then I started thinking about the price. For the same $40k, why would I chose the SR+ model 3 vs. the base model Cybertruck? The truck has more interior room, more functionality (if needed), the only difference is the 3 will be more efficient with energy. Then I started thinking that the Cybertruck could easily replace the needs that our Pilot fulfills as our family car (with 2-3 large dogs) and we could upgrade my wife when the lease expires in 2022.

Convincing the wife: She's a preschool director and is having a hard time thinking about driving it to work. It just looks too flashy, gaudy, military-like, different. I presented the case that it will prove much more functional than the Pilot, while offering basically the same inside space. She still wasn't convinced. Then I showed her this vinyl wrap ( Satin Perfect Blue 3M™ Wrap | 1080 Series Wrap Film ) and she was instantly sold on placing a deposit.

I'm not certain we'll complete the purchase, I mainly wanted to put in the deposit to lock in FSD pricing and figure we can figure things out in 2-3 years. But, then I mentioned that maybe I'll take it as a replacement to my Model 3 and she said to put in a second deposit.

We still only have 1 deposit. I'll think about the second over the coming weeks.
do you have a link to video on Tesla.com

Took me two days to go from "thats the ugliest thing I have ever seen", to "I need one"... so anyhow,
RN1129246XX is me, some 37 minutes ago.
Me too. The first words out of my mouth during the reveal were, “Oh my God!”. Then, it started growing on me and the next day, I placed a reservation. Not a truck guy, never owned a truck in my life. But it’ll be useful if we buy a ranch with our TSLA proceeds :) No rush, so I reserved the tri-motor. My wife likes the design; she’ll eventually find out that I pre-ordered the truck ;)

Last edited:
After more time for this to sink in, I'm growing more and more confident in my first impression that CyberTruck is Tesla's boldest move yet and has blown away all my expectations.

CyberTruck is a paradigm shift in:
  • Vehicle production processes
  • Vehicle structural design
  • Vehicle aesthetics
  • Vehicle materials
  • Crash Safety
  • Durability and toughness (almost certainly designed for 1 million miles with limited scratches or body repair work required)
  • Capital efficiency (has removed all the most expensive parts of the production line)
  • Production cost (likely huge savings relative to a traditional Pickup)
  • Pickup functionality
  • EV range
I do wonder how quickly the CyberTruck can be brought to market. The strong reservation count should give Elon confidence that CyberTruck is a hit and he should get fully behind mass production. I would guess 300-600k annual production capacity. The key reason for the CyberTruck design decisions and consequent aesthetics were to dramatically reduce production cost so it can be priced competitively with the cheapest F-150 and sell in huge volumes and actually make a difference to carbon emissions. I don't get how some people here can think Tesla designed this to be a niche product. Elon and Franz didn't just randomly decide to make a CyberPunk themed truck, they decided to make as cheap a Pickup truck as possible using first principles physics based engineering so as to sell in the highest possible volumes. The CyberPunk aesthetics were just a result of this cost optimisation.

I hope the mass production timeline can now be accelerated to early 2021. Lead times on the limited vehicle production equipment shouldn't be long, particularly if mostly made by Tesla. I think the limitation is likely how quickly Tesla can ramp up its in-house next generation battery chemistry/cells/pack. But if they can invest more to accelerate this, I think they should. After all, as Elon has said:

Elon: “If the schedule is long, it's wrong; if it's tight, it's right.”

Motortrend: "After all, as one of the Cybertruck's engineers whispered to me, "Like Elon says, 'It only takes nine months to make a baby."

I'm bullish on the Cybertruck to the point where I think other car makers should have an emergency meeting Monday morning .....

But .....

Up to this point in time I think Tesla and Elon were genuinely unsure about demand, but the good thing is this project can be built at any run rate so they had some flexibility...

I am now wondering if the "Giant Machine" Gerome was talking about is any part of :Cybertruck production process, because that implies a single factory and a high run rate...

So you may be right in that they have always targeted a high volume production, but how they could have been so confident with such an usual design in a typically conservative market category is hard to imagine.

IMO Model 3 & Cybertruck = I-Phone, Cybertruck is more of a ground breaking product that rewrites all the rules... at that is why other car makers need to get a handle on what it is, how it works, and how it is built ASAP....

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
I'm guessing up $20+ on Monday.

Down $20 Monday. Wall Street crooks will simply revise their 50k cybertruck a year prediction to 500,000 a year estimate and write up a long report about how the two smashed windows caused potential gang members, drug dealers and cartel MS17 thugs from pre-ordering. They will instead buy from Nikola and other potential Tesla killers who not only are working on a new battery tech, but also are on the verge of a potential bazooka proof glass window that weighs less than a feather.

Parking. Unless you live, work and shop only in the vast suburbia ...

Guilty of suburbia. Not remotely worried about parking.

I think we will see a SIGNIFICANT recovery in the stock price monday.
Dare I say a rally ?
I hope it waits until Tuesday. I'm expecting long awaited dry powder on Monday.