Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am curious why Tesla/Elon decides to disclose reservation numbers for the truck but not the Y.

The Y isn't nearly as polarizing as the Truck. It's generally accepted to be as great of, or better, seller than the 3.

The truck has a lot of detractors saying, "Ugh, ew, no." and so by releasing the reservation numbers, it goes to show that at least some of the populous wants it and it's not a flop.

MODERATOR -

As the spirited, understandable, and sometimes informative discussion, jokes....and jabber...of the Cybertruck winds down in this Investor thread, all are reminded that henceforth discussion of same is welcome to be continued in the "CyberTruck" thread - which will continue, for the nonce, as an easily-located Sticky:

ALL CyberTruck discussion
Does the above word mean something different on the Planet Vetinari to my understanding of it?

Exactly, why would someone put down $100 into something that you are not interested in?

They wouldn’t. You stand a good chance of losing this $100 if you forget two years from now.

You will also need to contact Tesla to send you a check for $100 which is a waste of your time and their time.

Even Tesla fans think other Tesla fans are crazy to like this thing.

I am curious why Tesla/Elon decides to disclose reservation numbers for the truck but not the Y.

Really?

:rolleyes:

Because there’s nothing to be lost by announcing little reservation numbers on a vehicle he already proclaimed could likely be disliked by everyone but himself.

And there’s everything to gain by announcing big reservation numbers for a vehicle he already proclaimed could likely be disliked by everyone but himself AND said vehicle doesn’t Osbourne any current vehicle or upcoming vehicle.

Don’t be obtuse or coy, it’s unbecoming.

The Y isn't nearly as polarizing as the Truck. It's generally accepted to be as great of, or better, seller than the 3.

The truck has a lot of detractors saying, "Ugh, ew, no." and so by releasing the reservation numbers, it goes to show that at least some of the populous wants it and it's not a flop.
Definitely not a flop with those numbers.

Is it possible, even remotely, that Tesla might consider GF2 in Buffalo as the place to build Cybertruck?

No paint shop needed, lots of parts and equipment not needed, limited quantities per month, huge PR win for employment in the area...

Curious if Buffalo could work.
When there was talk of allocating a small space at GF2 to store parts for the mobile rangers to use I heard that the energy side of Tesla wanted nothing to do with the car mfg side. That was at least 6 months ago and AFAIK the storage area still does not exist. So there definitely is resistance between the two divisions. Now if Elon were to decide to build the Cybertruck here I'm sure it would happen. But the other hurdle is that the UAW is very big around here. It's very likely that Elon would not want to deal with that. And third reason against it, the plan is to reach 1,000 solar roof installations per week. There won't be a need to add the Cybertruck lines here to fill out GF2.

As your local forward observer, the facts, nothing but the facts ~ please.

Get a charge out of First gas station in America to ditch oil for 100% electric vehicle charging opens in Maryland One of my close high school buddies got his start in the world as a mechanic at the gas station across from Hawthorne High (CA). He and I helped pioneer the Southbay Wolverines ~ soccer team back in the mid-sixties. He and I enlisted together. He got shot down once; many years later he saved a swimmer from a shark attack in Florida. Bottom line, wonder what his thoughts would be if they converted his old station to all electric. Oh, he helped my Dad and I plant five-hundred saplings one summer before graduation ~ trees in Paradise, CA.

There are good, small footprints felt ~ kind of like the tree that falls in the forest and no one hears.

Shorts are finding new playgrounds on which to play. I cannot wait to get those monster tires on my Model T; oops ~ CyberTruck:)

Want guaranteed coffee drinkers, mall walkers, and much more ~ put in Superchargers! Revitalize your Mall and validate charging for purchase over $100 or pick a reasonable number.:D

It's WRONG to push the "oh its cheap" narrative.

I don't know about you and everyone else but I don't have enough $100s to throw at every single kickstarter I think is ugly and will never sell.

I got better things to do with my time than that.

Who else wants to try to draw a car on paper, produce a prototype and raise 20 mil (refundable) from it?

You can get the $100 back from Tesla.
You cannot get $100 from a failed Kickstarter project. (Well, technically you can if the project creator decides to, but rarely have I heard that happen).

Reactions: VValleyEV
“The thing I am most impressed with is, what did you undesign?” Elon Musk

How do you reduce manufacturing costs in the Stamping, Castings and Paint shops? Get rid of them.
How do you reduce manufacturing costs in the Body Shop? Massively reduce welding requirements and reduce body shop size.
How do you reduce car chassis/frame and body panel costs? Get rid of them.
How do you reduce glass bending/curving costs? Make it flat.
How do you reduce body repair service and insurance costs? Make it undentable.
How do you reduce glass repair service and insurance costs? Make it unbreakable.
How do you reduce corrosion repair service and insurance costs? Make it corrosion resistant.

Don't forget to forget the paint...