Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Y won’t pass the 3 for a very long time unless they reduce the output of the 3. Soon we will have 10k a week model 3’s. You would need 15k a week model Y for years to eclipse that. Until late 2021 the 3 will still be made in greater numbers.

Rumor spec I know but.....

Speaking of the Model Y, I mentioned to my service tech yesterday that I have one on order.

He intimated that Y’s release is imminent.

EK-mwLHU0AA3tVd

If those few Tesla are left behind from the shipment, does that mean they're fair game? If so, I think I can get a plane ticket and make a visit before the 31st. You know. Help the EOQ delivery numbers. ;-)

Continuing the Jack Rickard video (timeout for edits to the above):
  • Tug-of-war: "Well, I think they need to make Neil DeGrasse Tyson drive the Ford part." ;) "I'll spot him a Ford F-450. We had problems - problems that we ultimately solved in software - with motors destroying our drivetrain components. And the reason we had problems is because an internal combustion engine spinning up on a transmission engine or driveshaft takes 450 milliseconds. An electric motor takes 10 milliseconds. And we were noodling our driveshafts and breaking our transmissions, because they're not made to do that that quickly. And so we had to add software to spool them up, which encode looks like over a thousand years, to get them to ramp up at 200-300 milliseconds so we didn't snap stuff. You want a Ford F-450 4-wheel dualy with a Ford F-150 in the back... I don't care, I know how this comes out guys! And they aught to make Neil DeGrasse Tyson drive the Ford! As you say, physics is not a suggestion. It's not a recommendation. It just is."
  • "If you're thinking about driving a truck for pulling power, an internal combustion engine was always ludicrously misapplied as a powerplant. That's not what it does well. But an electric motor, they love being stalled. That's where they start at. And the main problem is to keep from snapping the axles. You actually have to deal with this in software, to keep from snapping the axles off. Because the physics from this can twist your driveshaft into spaghetti. It's a time function. It's force over time."
  • "In this case, I call out Neil DeGrasse Tyson for 'Typing Smart'."
  • "If the argument is that this one won because it's heavier... and? If so, what's wrong with that? You get worse mileage? And?"
  • Talking about storage compartments: "Now we're in the sprinkles! And frunks! What guy with a pickup had too much toolbox, didn't know what to put in it? You got too many toolboxes? No man ever said that. It's like a horse too fast, too much money, or too pretty of a wife - it's crazy talk. "Too much toolbox'? Put it in the front, in the back, I want them all over the place. I want to put stuff you're not even supposed to know about in the truck. She's certainly not supposed to know about in the truck! You can't have 'too much toolbox'! "
Okay, finally finished!

Last edited:
Wow... it's crazy to think about that... it's possible (low odds, but possible) that one of those cars might be mine.

After all this waiting, the thought that my car might be already made and just sitting in a lot in California....

Enough to get a plane ticket and join me in my fence hopping?

Or, well, if you already got the car added to your Tesla.com account, than I suppose you could just summon it to you.

The governor of Alaska is trying to convince Tesla to build the factory for the Cybertruck in the state, under the argument that "Nobody in the world balances resource development and environmental stewardship better than us.".

Governor Mike Dunleavy on Twitter

TSLAQ is of course active in the comments.

I have mixed feelings about the idea. Logistics would be a real pain, even if they could source all bulk raw materials locally - both on import and export. On the other hand, and I know it sounds weird, but when you're talking about a vehicle whose main selling point is, "I'm the most rugged civilian vehicle on Earth!", having a "Made In Alaska" label would probably be a good selling point. Also a good way to fight the "Teslas are only built for California weather" and "EVs can't take the cold" notions.

Anchorage is the only potentially viable location, employment-wise. Population a bit bigger than Reno (292k vs. 249k), unemployment about the same (5,1% vs. 5%, vs. the US national average of 3,6%).
It's a complete non starter for all you mentioned and more. Their competing against many high paying oil jobs. Can't draw extra labour from outside the immediate area. Expensive to heat and light the factory. Poor solar energy sources. Is there even a warm water port?

Image working in the tent.

New Jack Rickard video - haven't seen it mentioned yet. He's got an old-school ICE pickup guy. Not sure if it's going to be 100% CT related... hoping they get to a lot of the battery speculation as well, since Jack is really good about that sort of stuff.

Watching on double speed...
  • Speculating that the ribbed bed design, while something that will tend to accumulate gunk, would let you put twist locks into them
  • Talks about how salt trucks can get rusted out in a single year. Jokes about trucks have eyebrows over their wheels in some places because of the salt-related rust
  • WD-40 as a perfect cleaner - was designed for the space industry as a stainless steel cleaner and coating for the Atlas rocket.
  • Argues against the notion of cryogenically-treated steel
  • Considers the details of the 30x alloy to not matter much. Describes 301 as the defining alloy for this role, but 316 also has some desirable properties.
  • Jokes about people misreading 30x as "30 times" ;)
  • Points out that ultra-hard isn't a technical term, but that it's not inaccurate, in that if you keep running it through through the roller, you can make it even harder than full hard. Says that the main advantage is that the steel will be ridiculously hard to scratch.
  • Pulled out a power control unit from the Model 3 penthouse. Says that they could readily adapt the unit to output 240V AC as well, and that he's done basically the same thing in the past. You don't need a dedicated power converter. Would be astonished if the 240V is not the full ~10kW of the charger, since there's no good reason not to. Also: you could use the same hardware as an inverter for an offgrid solar system. That you "almost can't not do that", that you'd have to actively program the hardware to not be functional as a powerwall for an offgrid system. He's not a believer in using a car as V2G except for emergencies, but for prepper purposes, he thinks it'd be a great fit.
  • People keep asking Jack to make Model 3/S/X to do V2G. He says he could do it, but it's not worth it for him, because it'd be way too expensive from his side, and his work could be broken by an update. But from Tesla's side, it's almost too easy. But for Cybertruck, because of the need to output power, Tesla almost "can't not" give V2G.
  • Starts talking about towing and how energy consumption increases. Asked the truck guy what his range is when he tows; the guy laughs and says "in the single digits". Way deep in the single digits. ;)
  • Points out the class action lawsuit from Ford investors about Ford's fake EPA range numbers that they literally just made up.
  • Switches to the Trump-California MPG battle. Says that the rules were useful for him, as it was pushing automakers to make lighter vehicles. But the side effect is that you get these trucks with alumium body panels, which get dented by hailstones and the like... and then meanwhile, here comes Tesla with 30x stainless ;)
  • Points out the (uncomfortable but true) fact that drivers of heavier vehicles are much more likely to survive in accidents. Points out the obvious downside to this fact in that without regulations pushing for lighter vehicles, it would encourage an arms race to the point where everyone would be driving around in greyhound buses ;)
  • Okay, batteries now! He's convinced that Dahn's work about dendrite suppression via electrolyte modifications is correct, and also that he basically does have a 5000 cycle / million mile battery, and thus, Tesla does.
  • Discusses the possibility that Tesla's "transparent metal glass" is "transparent aluminum" (ALON, Alumium Oxynitride) [I'd speculated about this as well]. Actually a ceramic, sintered at very high temperatures and pressures. Strength: 350MPa on its own, and can get up to 700MPa by polishing the surface. Was 80% optical clarity, but new techniques are up to 98% optical clarity. About the same hardness as sapphire. Used in some military glass applications.
  • Points out that harder glasses tend to have more perfect, highly polished surfaces, and a side effect of this is that it's a natural Rain-X.
  • Re: windshield wipers: he thinks that if it really is something like polished ALON, water, dust, mud, etc won't even stick, so you might not even need them. "Permanent Rain-X. Probably better than Rain-X."
  • Re, lack of mirrors: he pointed out that while everyone points out that they're required, and that automakers are always eventually are forced to add them, he thinks that this is finally going to change - the NHTSA is accepting comments about a proposed rulechange to remove mirrors, and he thinks that removing them may be allowed by the time CT comes out.
  • Points out that bending sheet is slower than stamping. But the net production cost is much lower.
  • Thinks that the use of steel will make repairs cheaper than alumium, and thus potentially lower insurance costs, because alumium is a pain to repair. "Stainless steel is nothing but good news, guys."
  • Goes back to alumium. "Ford has designed their Ford-tough truck to be a girly aluminum body. Which I thought was great idea when I was converting cars and I could get a F-150 to convert and it'd be better because it's lighter, more range. But that's engineer talk. Truck talk guy is, aluminum is for girls. "Ford Tough", "Ram Power", and Chevy is "A Rock". All you have to do is watch the ads, and you know how to make a truck. And it isn't aluminum!"
  • Goes very blue sky and speculates that the cubic spinel structure of ALON would be conducive to being doped to function as a photovoltaic cell, and that it would make an excellent research project. But such a thing would be way off.
  • Talks about the R1T. Laughs. Wonders whether they'll actually ever even produce them. Re, delivery vans, he thinks that since they have a basically limitless order book for them from Amazon, and they're simpler, they may end up focus on them.
(Still listening :) )

Where's the "Thank **** I didn't have to sit through that" Rating when you need it?

The governor of Alaska is trying to convince Tesla to build the factory for the Cybertruck in the state, under the argument that "Nobody in the world balances resource development and environmental stewardship better than us.".

Governor Mike Dunleavy on Twitter

TSLAQ is of course active in the comments.

I have mixed feelings about the idea. Logistics would be a real pain, even if they could source all bulk raw materials locally - both on import and export. On the other hand, and I know it sounds weird, but when you're talking about a vehicle whose main selling point is, "I'm the most rugged civilian vehicle on Earth!", having a "Made In Alaska" label would probably be a good selling point. Also a good way to fight the "Teslas are only built for California weather" and "EVs can't take the cold" notions.

Anchorage is the only potentially viable location, employment-wise. Population a bit bigger than Reno (292k vs. 249k), unemployment about the same (5,1% vs. 5%, vs. the US national average of 3,6%).
The Governor forgot to mention that shipping lanes to the north are opening up to Europe, US East Coast and the world!

Continuing the Jack Rickard video (timeout for edits to the above):
  • Tug-of-war: "Well, I think they need to make Neil DeGrasse Tyson drive the Ford part." ;) "I'll spot him a Ford F-450. We had problems - problems that we ultimately solved in software - with motors destroying our drivetrain components. And the reason we had problems is because an internal combustion engine spinning up on a transmission engine or driveshaft takes 450 milliseconds. An electric motor takes 10 milliseconds. And we were noodling our driveshafts and breaking our transmissions, because they're not made to do that that quickly. And so we had to add software to spool them up, which encode looks like over a thousand years, to get them to ramp up at 200-300 milliseconds so we didn't snap stuff. You want a Ford F-450 4-wheel dualy with a Ford F-150 in the back... I don't care, I know how this comes out guys! And they aught to make Neil DeGrasse Tyson drive the Ford! As you say, physics is not a suggestion. It's not a recommendation. It just is."
  • "If you're thinking about driving a truck for pulling power, an internal combustion engine was always ludicrously misapplied as a powerplant. That's not what it does well. But an electric motor, they love being stalled. That's where they start at. And the main problem is to keep from snapping the axles. You actually have to deal with this in software, to keep from snapping the axles off. Because the physics from this can twist your driveshaft into spaghetti. It's a time function. It's force over time."
  • "In this case, I call out Neil DeGrasse Tyson for 'Typing Smart'."
  • "If the argument is that this one won because it's heavier... and? If so, what's wrong with that? You get worse mileage? And?"
  • Talking about storage compartments: "Now we're in the sprinkles! And frunks! What guy with a pickup had too much toolbox, didn't know what to put in it? You got too many toolboxes? No man ever said that. It's like a horse too fast, too much money, or too pretty of a wife - it's crazy talk. "Too much toolbox'? Put it in the front, in the back, I want them all over the place. I want to put stuff you're not even supposed to know about in the truck. She's certainly not supposed to know about in the truck! You can't have 'too much toolbox'! "
Okay, finally finished!

Thank you for the summaries......I can't listen to Jack for more than 10 seconds at any speed.;)

Enough to get a plane ticket and join me in my fence hopping?

Or, well, if you already got the car added to your Tesla.com account, than I suppose you could just summon it to you.

Lol, if the car can handle that, FSD is entirely complete ;) "Hi, I'm Karen's Model 3. I'm calling to book myself into a transatlantic container ship; what's your next available offering?"

Guys, I just spent 10 minutes reading TSLAQ threads on Twitter. I think I had an aneurysm.

One thing I've learned about that group of people - you can't say anything slightly positive about Tesla or Musk or even try to have a rational conversation concerning facts about Tesla (once they realize you aren't just going to blindly bash Tesla, regardless of what the facts say). Nope, they are way too emotional about their beliefs and agenda - so they get testy at the first mention of anything positive about Tesla/Musk. They only want to bash Tesla and make each other feel good about hating Tesla/Musk. For example, when I brought up the Euro NCAP safety ratings and how well Tesla did, one member of their squad quickly quipped - "that's because Tesla builds their cars for testing, not real world crashes" - they'll say anything to keep from having to admit Tesla does ANYTHING well, or even slightly well.

But, TBH, that is typical human behavior. When I hang out with some of the other gentlemen in my neighborhood, and they begin discussing politics - I usually do my best to stay out of it. I've learned that they are not concerned with facts, but just feeling good about their beliefs and their guy. The times I've pointed out to them that some event or story was not true and I could show them the real information, they quickly let me know that I couldn't be in their circle if I was going to disrupt their circle j*** (I'm not sure if we're allowed to say that openly or not). Their comeback is usually something of little substance like, "I don't agree with that" - and accuse me of being on the other side.

I'm just so glad this forum isn't like that.

Last edited:
So "wealthy" people are clogging Superchargers so they can charge for free, rather than the convenience of charging at home?

I guess that's how you get wealthy...

Its well known among wait staff that the wealthy are the most demanding of service and the most skinflint when it comes to tips. However, while pinching pennies can be a component, just pinching pennies won't make you rich. (And not all rich people roll that way, but there is definitely a difference that correlates with wealth.)

hmmm....Tesla delivery infrastructure is far better now than it was in Q1, and it is delivering in more countries, and there is a lot of cars on the water that won't be delivered until 2nd half of December, and its likely the last week will be delivered to California straight from the factory, while east cast deliveries that have been in transit across US for a couple of weeks will also be delivered, and GF3 might start deliveries, so.....

maybe.

There is a zero chance Tesla will deliver 90k+ cars in December (breaking previous delivery numbers every week from now to the end of the month).

The Y won’t pass the 3 for a very long time unless they reduce the output of the 3. Soon we will have 10k a week model 3’s. You would need 15k a week model Y for years to eclipse that. Until late 2021 the 3 will still be made in greater numbers.
Well, if 1) model Y production scales in six months rather than two years and 2) it has as much of a larger market than model 3 as Elon Musk has indicated it may not take as long as you expect. Also, assuming batteries are the constraint, Tesla might choose to alter the mix and make more Y than 3.

Regardless, all I'm saying is I'm looking forward to a production race between the 3 & Y. Because, outside of possibly the cybertruck, those are what's moving the needle on EV adoption.

• Disagree
Reactions: SoGA Fan Club