Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess it could be like you say, but 20 V3 (according to Jay in Shangai) stalls plus the MT cabins installed the 29 september to be removed 2 months later, sound a bit fishy to me.....

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EFnqU8OUYAEieRP?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Should they not have installed Superchargers? What exactly should they have done with the plant output before the land to the east was graded?

And hey, they plan to build buildings there too. Should they not have built that lot, either?

The fact that they did demo and relocated the Superchargers in a matter of days shows that it was not some vast amount of work.

bsl.gif

While the "Keep Summer Safe" type usages of laser wipers are amusing, thinking about laser wipers for the design intent, the benefits really stand out. Namely in that wipers are bulky aero-drag elements, while a fibre laser line and targeting element can be placed anywhere with minimal mass penalty and near-zero drag penalty. So you could have them for, for example, side windows and the like too, not just the windshield. And you could have a smooth transition between the hood and the windshield.

Some concerns I have include:
  • If snow/ice on the windshield is thin, then you can melt it off with your defrosters, or perhaps even the laser. If it's really thick snow, then it's too heavy for your wipers and you have to brush it off. But between there, there's an amount of snow that's too thick to reasonably melt off, but not too thick for wipers, and wipers make getting rid of that way more convenient. So if the goal is to get rid of wipers... I'm not sure what they plan to do about that scenario.
  • If they have, as a goal, using the lasers to get rid of grime by boiling it off, I worry about them baking residues onto the glass. Carbon coking in particular. Solving that seems like a huge ask. Maybe they could bake grime enough to desiccate it but without intent to boil off the non-water fraction, so that - without any moisture - it tends not to stick.
  • In places where roads are salted, you can get salty water splashed onto your windshield. If you boil the water off, you're leaving caked salt behind, which would be worse than the water in the first place, I'd think.
So I dunno. Still, I'm glad they're researching it.

Should they not have installed Superchargers? What exactly should they have done with the plant output before the land to the east was graded?

Not to be picky, but that parking, complete with white lines, have never hosted more than XX cars (from the pics leaked), let alone the nr of cars that was made for, because production hadn't even yet started in the two following months in such a numbers.

So if the original planning included Phase 2, there were no point installing the SC there or finishing the painting of the lines, because there were no predicted cars to be served.

Last edited:

And hey, they plan to build buildings there too. Should they not have built that lot, either?

The fact that they did demo and relocated the Superchargers in a matter of days shows that it was not some vast amount of work.
The good and bad of working in China, screwups are common (even more than here) but cheaper to fix. I'd go with lack of foresight and the cost of fixing it being immaterial and I wish I could see 29 superchargers stood up in a day here. The transformer alone would take more time to get permitted.

Looks like Elon figured out that these people's currency are attention and clicks. By denying them access to him he does more damage to them this way than waging a shouting match.

That's a smart move. It at least leveled the playing field somewhat when Tesla still does not do commercials. For traditional auto companies if you dare to write a critical piece you will never be invited to expense paid future product release anymore.

So you could have them for, for example, side windows and the like too, not just the windshield. And you could have a smooth transition between the hood and the windshield.

Lasers for all the cameras/sensors to enable robotaxis and autopilot in general to work in the Norwegian winter.

The time it takes to install Superchargers in a public location is slowed down by regulatory approval and the time it takes the power company to install the transformers and metres. Doing it on their own factory site is trivial.

UBS (a consistent "sell" rating for Tesla with always ridiculously low price targets) has suspended their TSLA coverage. Reasons unknown.

Bradford on Twitter

Their "sell" rating became untenable, so they'd rather stop covering Tesla altogether than upgrade it ...

Prediction: in a few months they'll be back, with a new sell rating at a higher price ...

"Operation Never Upgrade": full success! :D

Their "sell" rating became untenable, so they'd rather stop covering Tesla altogether than upgrade it ...

Prediction: in a few months they'll be back, with a new sell rating at a higher price ...

I agree - it's a great way to save face.

Either way, Tesla's analyst average now jumps up a bit. :)

UBS (a consistent "sell" rating for Tesla with always ridiculously low price targets) has suspended their TSLA coverage. Reasons unknown.

Bradford on Twitter

I think Tesla was covered by Colin Langan at UBS before, an extreme bear. I guess he has left? Patrick Hummel I think is the European Autos analyst and has previously had good things to say about Tesla. If Colin has indeed left, I'm not sure if Patrick will take over or if they will hire some new. Either way, this should lead to more balanced coverage.

I also wonder if Goldman has a new Tesla analyst yet?

I think Tesla was covered by Colin Langan at UBS before, an extreme bear. I guess he has left? Patrick Hummel I think is the European Autos analyst and has previously had good things to say about Tesla.

Hopefully this leads to more balanced coverage.

I also wonder if Goldman has a new Tesla analyst yet?

I'm really getting concerned about Tesla Wall Street, their executives turnover rate Tesla analyst turnover rate is very high!

So is this the new frontier of WS manipulation? Because of course stopping coverage will not get anywhere near breaking news...​

Bradford on Twitter

I guess their huge short position, via puts, expired worthless, so no point trying to embarrass themselves any more.

Good effing riddance.

[
I agree - it's a great way to save face.

Either way, Tesla's analyst average now jumps up a bit. :)
I take a more positive view (which is unusual for me). The reason we have recently seen coverage dropped, some analysts turning grudgingly positive and no comments at all like Goldman is that they are beginning to see what we all are seeing. The main impediment to all-out bullishness is the hole these firms have dug wrt the massive short positions that their clients have. These firms, by maintaining a negative posture on TSLA (or at the least not turning bullish), collect massive, almost 100%-margin, fees on lent shares; they collect investment management fees on the net assets that their clients hold. Taking a positive view would be a financial disaster for them, at this point (i.e., lending fees would go away and their clients would suffer a major asset-haircut, cutting the management fees to the firm). I would not be surprised to see some heretofore TSLA-bear analysts show up at different firms. If they want to flourish as analysts, they don't want to be on the wrong side of the most exciting investment of the century. AIMO