Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tangentially investment-related as it should help our Canadian friends do long road trips in Teslas in a more stress-free manner and therefore goose demand: the Canadian Supercharger Construction Extravaganza we've had over the past months is rapidly turning into the Canadian Supercharger Holiday Opening Extravaganza.

View attachment 487929

I’m super excited looking forward to my planned trip across Canada next spring!

I was just talking to a colleague about this. Her 15 year old son has an account and has become an avid trader at his tender age. He's a huge Tesla fan and has accumulated about 10 shares. He also likes Disney.

She also explained that the account is in her name since he is too young to have an account solely in his own name.

So fractional shares at Robinhood is one way Gen Z can trade even as minors.

Before my son was 18, I used a UTMA account (both parent and minor are on the account until the kid is 18, then you move the contents to a new account). I funded it and bought him 25 TSLA shares @~190’s (not this year, lol) and he bought about the same dollar amount in BA.

Been a bumpy year or so for his trading account. :eek:

So, maybe I convinced him that index funds are the way to go, as my wife suggests? :confused:

But yes, I followed the textbook with his 529.

• Helpful
Reactions: bhzmark and jhm
Nvidia Talks Shop at Investment Conferences: 5 Important Takeaways

3. Nvidia Believes the Auto Industry's Woes Have Contributed to Autonomous Driving Delays

"The automotive industry though is having some challenges in terms of their overall financial situation," Kress said at the Barclays conference, while adding that it will probably be "a little bit more than a year" before Nvidia sees volume shipments for autonomous driving solutions that go into production cars.

Kress also suggested that a major design win with Volvo for a Level 2+ autonomous driving solution now won't see volumes ramp until 2022 -- CEO Jensen Huang had previously talked about shipments starting in late 2020 or early 2021 -- and that other automotive wins will also start ramping around 2022.

Csongor offered a similar view of things. Though noting Level 5 autonomous cars requiring no human intervention are arriving sooner since they're only meant to be driven in specific areas (think Waymo's current Phoenix test), he argued that "Germany and Dieselgate and some of the [auto industry's] financial conditions" have led to delays for Level 2+ cars that still require human drivers in many situations, but which can be used anywhere.

"So, I think roughly 2022, 2023 is when you'll see an inflection of designs that where you get some ramps for those Level 2+ designs," Csongor said. He added that Level 2+ systems will essentially be capable from a hardware standpoint of supporting more advanced Level 4 autonomy, and that Tesla (TSLA) , whose latest Autopilot hardware relies on proprietary silicon, is motivating other automakers to develop rival autonomous solutions with Nvidia's help.

Csongor offered a similar view of things. Though noting Level 5 autonomous cars requiring no human intervention are arriving sooner since they're only meant to be driven in specific areas (think Waymo's current Phoenix test), he argued that "Germany and Dieselgate and some of the [auto industry's] financial conditions" have led to delays for Level 2+ cars that still require human drivers in many situations, but which can be used anywhere.

News Flash: Nvidia just proved, they do not have a clue about the meaning of car autonomy levels!
Level 5 means the car can drive everywhere under any conditions a human could drive.
Geofencing (like Waymo's) is specifically excluded from level 5, that immediately demotes the system to level 4.

News Flash: Nvidia just proved, they do not have a clue about the meaning of car autonomy levels!
Level 5 means the car can drive everywhere under any conditions a human could drive.
Geofencing (like Waymo's) is specifically excluded from level 5, that immediately demotes the system to level 4.

They are also practically openly saying they're F'd. They're looking to scapegoat the auto industry for the lack of progress instead of owning up to their fact that their approach is not scalable. Never has been, never will be.

Edit: They are right that the auto industry is too slow. But they knew that was going to be the case. Everyone knows traditional auto makers move at a snail's pace. If I place my bet on the worst teams in basketball.....I can't be mad at them when they don't make the playoffs.....much less win the whole damn thing o_O

Last edited:
They are also practically openly saying they're F'd. They're looking to scapegoat the auto industry for the lack of progress instead of owning up to their fact that their approach is not scalable. Never has been, never will be.

They only have to be slightly less f'd than everybody else besides Tesla.

35,000 car accident deaths in America yearly, and this idiot is worried about 12 accidents using AP in 5 years, that resulted in 3 deaths - in over 5 billion miles? Maybe he should be more worried about the manufacturers that don't include safety features as standard on their cars.

Please, I beg you people of Connecticut, vote this idiot out.

"This crash could’ve been avoided. While autonomous vehicles are an exciting development, the tech is simply not ready to be deployed safely. Congress must act to protect the public from these vehicles until their safety can be assured," said Sen. Richard Blumenthal of Connecticut, a member of the Senate's Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation."

Latest AP Crash will be 12th investigated by NHTSA

I think it's because people who bought an Etron because they didn't want a Tesla (obviously), and not because they got conned into an Etron. Perhaps they think Elon is a fraud, the interior is crappy, has terrible craftsmanship, etc etc. So I'm pretty sure they have heard it all from Tesla enthusiasts and only want to focus on the problem described by the OP vs being called dumb for not buying a Tesla.

Absolutely, same thing happens with i-Pace.

Neighbor bought one because he is a Brit and always wanted a Jaguar, but also stressed that he wanted an EV but wouldn’t go near Tesla because of FUD - Elon is crazy/unstable, Tesla will go bankwupt, usual malarky. Now he is hating the car because the range is awful, unpredictable, and updates/fixes require many dealership visits. HIS neighbor thought the i-Pace was the bees knees but has since ordered a Model Y.

35,000 car accident deaths in America yearly, and this idiot is worried about 12 accidents using AP in 5 years, that resulted in 3 deaths - in over 5 billion miles? Maybe he should be more worried about the manufacturers that don't include safety features as standard on their cars.

Please, I beg you people of Connecticut, vote this idiot out.

"This crash could’ve been avoided. While autonomous vehicles are an exciting development, the tech is simply not ready to be deployed safely. Congress must act to protect the public from these vehicles until their safety can be assured," said Sen. Richard Blumenthal of Connecticut, a member of the Senate's Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation."

Blumenthal is one of Connecticut's most popular Senators in history. And while I think his concern about AP is a sincere concern, it looks to me like he may have been influenced by reasonable-sounding people with ulterior motives. His popularity means it would probably be more productive to gently convince him he is listening to the wrong people than to try to get him voted out of office. But two-pronged approach might help change his mind. It has to be done by two different parties, one to discredit his position on AP and one to gently convince him that it's not a danger, it's actually safer than not being allowed to offer it.

Tesla Analyst Alex Potter of Piper Jaffray interviewed by Rob Mauer

Wow, in the last 20 minutes Alex says that they currently value Tesla commercial energy and autonomy as worthless just because he doesn't have the technical knowledge to be able to defend any value he could put on them. Incredible. I'm guessing this is the case with almost all the Tesla analysts.

Blumenthal is one of Connecticut's most popular Senators in history. And while I think his concern about AP is a sincere concern, it looks to me like he may have been influenced by reasonable-sounding people with ulterior motives. His popularity means it would probably be more productive to gently convince him he is listening to the wrong people than to try to get him voted out of office. But two-pronged approach might help change his mind. It has to be done by two different parties, one to discredit his position on AP and one to gently convince him that it's not a danger, it's actually safer than not being allowed to offer it.

So we have to gently reason with idiots who cannot begin to grasp the basics of statistics on any level.

We most certainly have the government we deserve, and it seems what we deserve is getting worse all the time.

So we have to gently reason with idiots who cannot begin to grasp the basics of statistics on any level.

We most certainly have the government we deserve, and it seems what we deserve is getting worse all the time.
I expect there are a lot of Connecticut Tesla owners who would be livid if their AP was forced to be turned off. They need to start a massive e-mail and social media campaign to turn this around.

Especially effective would be personal anecdotes of AP preventing accidents.

Wow, in the last 20 minutes Alex says that they currently value Tesla commercial energy and autonomy as worthless just because he doesn't have the technical knowledge to be able to defend any value he could put on them. Incredible. I'm guessing this is the case with almost all the Tesla analysts.

WTF? How can any analyst say that with a straight face? He literally has one job to do. Sure Autonomy is tricky to value, but energy should be a fairly simple thing to put a value on: this is current sales & margins, here are projected growth of sales & margins, therefore its worth “X” amount.

WTF? How can any analyst say that with a straight face? He literally has one job to do. Sure Autonomy is tricky to value, but energy should be a fairly simple thing to put a value on: this is current sales & margins, here are projected growth of sales & margins, therefore its worth “X” amount.
You're asking them to do actual work rather than just pulling numbers out of... I'm pretty sure that violates the Analyst Code.