Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm utterly floored that Tesla owners have to call a contractor for everything. Am I the only one who's breaker box was in the garage, went down to Lowes, bought a 220 volt breaker, outlet, box and wire, and just installed their own darn outlet? It just isn't rocket science.
I think this is a little OT. Good job on adding the outlet. But, be aware, most cities require permit/inspection even for self installation(for your safety and for insurance claim purpose). And no matter how simple it sounds, HV power system can be dangerous, especially for people lacking the knowledge and experience.

Reactions: tschmidty
Just on anecdotal evidence of seeing depleted inventory stories all over the country and even here in KC which is apparently one of Tesla's weakest markets seeing tons of new Teslas it's hard to believe a big miss is possible.
Even stronger evidence is that Elon is spending his free time during the end of quarter push hangin' with his rocket buddyies in Texas, and having some great "me" time. He's not concerned at all.

Yes, this Quarter's deliveries are in the bag. By the 4th Wednesday of January, they'll be in the books, too.

Jeff Osborne / Cowan is just trying to open an escape hatch for their short client's sinking positions. Better flee now lads, the 'see' water is flooding your compartment and your ship is going down. P&D in 3 days.

Cheers!

Last edited:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...bcd4-24597950008f_story.html#comments-wrapper

My comment:

Hum, hard to counter fear and ignorance.

I worked my way up from private @ $98 a month, during the Vietnam era, to sergeant. Utilized the GI Bill, earned my degree, climbed from second lieutenant to major angering academy snots. Retired after twenty years to support my wife’s successful career.

Will my Model X, will the thousands of trees I have planted, will the solar panels on our roof, or will my eating vegan solve, slow down climate change, or convince the author to join me? Bottom line, NO ~ but I am giving my grandchildren a fighting chance.

Anyone selling themselves can speak and live like the author; me, I’ll keep putting one foot in front of the other thinking of more than just me, myself or I.

M
I'm utterly floored that Tesla owners have to call a contractor for everything. Am I the only one who's breaker box was in the garage, went down to Lowes, bought a 220 volt breaker, outlet, box and wire, and just installed their own darn outlet? It just isn't rocket science.
Maybe. I had to install a 90-foot run from my breaker box to my detached garage. 20 year old house.

Reactions: carterm2
Permitted electrical work, properly inspected adds value to your home. Properly installed wiring reduces fire hazards. Electrical work is not something to save money on — you get what you pay for.

Disclosure: I’m an Electrical Inspector.
I agree with you, though this approach isn’t foolproof either.

I had an electrical company put in two 14-50 sockets. The inspector passed the installation while handing me new requirements for my home — lower flow toilets and adding carbon monoxide detection to my hall smoke detectors— that I needed to install and provide signed paperwork that I had done so in order to get my permit.

Both the inspector and the electrician doing the work missed the fact that 14-30 sockets were used on 50 Amp circuits with 40Amp breakers. :eek:

The electrician comes back and is changing out the sockets. I pointed out that the electricity was still on and he says "I’m the Gandalf of Electricity." (My son usually chimes in at this point when I tell this story to remind people that Gandalf dies.)

“Didn’t you say that you’re a single dad with four kids?" I asked.

He looks over at me from the panel.

"Perhaps they’ll need their dad" I said.

Off he went to turn off the juice.

Never filed the completed paperwork despite having paid for the permit and having mostly done the added work too. This is in Silicon Valley mind you.

Not suggesting to do it yourself when it comes to 240. Not after the incident where I’m reaching under the oven and call out:
"Honey, are you sure the breaker is off?"
"Yes!"
Zzzzzztt!!
Get a bit of mileage out of that story too.

Last edited:
I don't see where it "bounced off $420" any more than it 'bounced" off all the other numbers.
Yes, it was capped at $420 (about 4x between 11:51 and 13:25).

TSLA.chart.2019-12-30.4x420bounces.png

Technically, today's "bounce" was off the $410 level, while the SP was capped with resistance at the $420 level, then slowly "fading" into the Close as volume dried up.

So the Market is waiting for News. Most likely, that'll come by Friday with the P&D report.

Cheers!

P.S. Look at the 'per-Minute' volume in RED along the bottom of this chart. See how hard the shortzes are fighting the inevitable? They should sooner fight the tide, 'cuz there's a tsnami a'comin' for them... :D

Not suggesting to do it yourself when it comes to 240. Not after the incident where I’m reaching under the oven and call out:
"Honey, are you sure the breaker is off?"
"Yes!"
Zzzzzztt!!
Get a bit of mileage out of that story too.

Anyone that does even a little bit of DIY electrical work needs a non contact voltage detection pen. I use mine to double check everything even when I know the breaker is off. Can be especially useful on multigang boxes that may have another circuit hiding in there. :)
2a2c5c81-db63-4499-923b-568bc4c4dd63_1.9e3e5b4396b23e839514788f405603d8.jpeg

Last edited:
Deliveries Of The Made-in-China Tesla Model 3 Start: Videos

Does anyone have a secondary source for this? Inside EVs reports that Model 3 MIC production is already at 280 a day or near 2000 per week.

Big ammunition if true, especially with most media still thinking the factory is making 15 per day or something ridiculously small.
There was a Dec 30th report on the Tesmanian blog with this headline:

Tesla Gigafactory 3 Output Almost at 2K a Week, All Finished MIC Model 3s Already Sold

There's multiple problems with this report. First is (when you read the actual article, not just the headline), the only hard numbers reported are an hourly run rate of 28, with five 10-hr days of production per week, plus one training day.

Their mistake is either:
  • extrapolating the hourly run-rate to a 7 day week (28*10*7 = 1.960), or
  • they are really bad bad at math (calling 1,400/wk 'near 2000')
Then, that's also the 'run-rate', which never accounts for stoppages on the line. A more reasonable run-rate for late December at GF3 is likely closer to 1K/wk (which is also what we've heard separately is the number of bty packs being shipped from GF1/Sparks per week in 2019Q4).

Lol, then (much) later in the Tesmanian blog post, the author write this little gem:

"The General Manager of Tesla China, Allen Wang, announced that sales for the locally-made electric sedan were “very good.” He also shared that the Shanghai facility already achieved a production rate of 1,000 a week, somewhat confirming the calculations above."

So, blogger math is quite flexible, especially when actual Tesla quotes disagree with the desired headline. :p

Cheers!

Um, er, you don't shop and then blame Tesla for pointing you at a high priced supplier? Seriously? I've been happily charging my Model S at home on a NEMA 14-50 outlet. With a little looking around I found an electrician who did the install for ~$800 rather than the $2000+ I was quoted by the Tesla recommended outfit. Since I got my Model 3, I've been charging both off of the NEMA 14-50 outlet. Really not a problem.

And, yeah, I'm in the Bay Area too. And, as an investor, I really don't want Tesla to get in the business of doing low budget home electrical installations. If you had wanted to get solar, then sure do the job and put in EV charging as well. But to go with the car sale, I think a referral to a high quality outfit who will make people happy is about right. You want inexpensive too? Go shopping.

OK, who is your electrician? We are neighbors and I have a second wall charger that needs installation.

Burning your customers after you made the sale is a lot like a hit and run. Complaining about how MS and MX owners misuse free SuperCharging and putting a set of useless cables in every car, while trying to sell Solar... is a matrix that goes beyond one investor not wanting Tesla to get into "low budget" home electrical installs. (renting solar is low budget isn't it?). I would bet that 90 percent of the cables bundled with each car have never been used, after the first hour.

It is fine that you think I am "blaming" Tesla... I am, they dropped the ball on this small issue, which surprises me because they typically don't...

If Tesla offered to setup my house/car with 30m/h charging and rent me solar for $150 (saving me $150/m). I would jump at it, especially if it replaced a $800 - $2000 install and made "selling" a Tesla to my wife so much easier.

No really, I do need a good electrician.

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Even stronger evidence is that Elon is spending his free time during the end of quarter push hangin' with his rocket buddyies in Texas, and having some great "me" time. He's not concerned at all.

Yes, this Quarter's deliveries are in the bag. By the 4th Wednesday of January, they'll be in the books, too.

Jeff Osborne / Cowan is just trying to open an escape hatch for their short client's sinking positions. Better flee now lads, the 'see' water is flooding your compartment and your ship is going down. P&D in 3 days.

Cheers!

Per a tweet he sent earlier, Elon will be in Fremont tomorrow night to help with deliveries.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...bcd4-24597950008f_story.html#comments-wrapper

My comment:

Hum, hard to counter fear and ignorance.

I worked my way up from private @ $98 a month, during the Vietnam era, to sergeant. Utilized the GI Bill, earned my degree, climbed from second lieutenant to major angering academy snots. Retired after twenty years to support my wife’s successful career.

Will my Model X, will the thousands of trees I have planted, will the solar panels on our roof, or will my eating vegan solve, slow down climate change, or convince the author to join me? Bottom line, NO ~ but I am giving my grandchildren a fighting chance.

Anyone selling themselves can speak and live like the author; me, I’ll keep putting one foot in front of the other thinking of more than just me, myself or I.
Thank you for all that.

I also believe in the value and power of individual actions. Let’s not forget that individual actions caused the worlds woes in the first place.

I’ve been having a similar debate in another forum.

Some people just don’t get it because of ignorance, stupidity, Dunning-Krueger effect, distrust, tribalism, or constant exposure to propaganda. Some of these people can be persuaded.

But the most intransigent haters believe whatever they have to so they remain comfortable in their mind and lifestyle. They don’t want to be the bad guy or give anything up. Confirmation bias is a powerful force.

Tesla is so successful because consumers don’t have to sacrifice fun, utility, convenience, safety, or even pay more to make the world a better place. Elon Musk is a damn genius, not just for being an actual genius, but for realizing society won’t change if we try to force a Prius on everyone (no offense). The way to make the world a better place is to make the cleanest car the very best car that money can buy. Tesla energy is doing the equivalent.

I predict a mass adoption when subsidies are gone, EVs are cheaper than ice equivalents, and everyone knows someone with an EV. 5-10 years out, tops. It will be the biggest market disruption in our lifetimes. Cheers