Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's nice the senators are wondering if they should be in the loop on assassinations.

View attachment 495841

Personal Rudy handles foreign policy, I guess for assasinations there's some "Blackbriar", no more red tape.

i mean, it's only a literal war crime to operate this way, but no big deal i'm sure according to Trump's supporters. they've long since abandoned any pretense of morality.

Oh boy.... Nissan's strategy for the future is to copy the discontinued Chevy Volt?
I better sell my TSLA shares before this news goes mainstream!

https://electrek.co/2020/01/02/did-...-that-ev-charging-is-too-difficult-for-women/
Development of efficient EV's that can be built at a competitive cost is a daunting and expensive path. The path of designing and building Volt-like vehicles is less expensive and challenging and risky and will reduce their fleet emissions and will give customers cars they're comfortable with and that can be sold by their plethora of dealers and salespeople. This is a sensible short-medium term strategy that requires a transition to electric down the road and serious engineering and planning in the meantime. They'll need to transition before too much of the car-buying public sees the brand as irrelevant.

I’m expecting many more of these type of low cost EVs to appear in the USA for the primary purpose of harvesting the $7,500 tax incentive. $18k is a crappy amount to pay for this, but $10,500 (after $7.5k tax rebate) puts it into fun toy/3rd car category for a lot of families.

It qualifies for the electric motorcycle incentive.

10% of the purchase price upto $2500.

Oh boy.... Nissan's strategy for the future is to copy the discontinued Chevy Volt?

No, the e-POWER cars aren't plug-ins, so it's even worse.

Their strategy for the future is to copy Toyota Europe's "self-charging hybrid" marketing for plugless hybrids, apparently. (Their going on about the EV feel is basically because the engine is decoupled from the wheels entirely, and it uses a LEAF's motor to drive the wheels. This is in opposition to Toyota hybrids, that for gearing reasons can't hit full engine power at low vehicle speeds or shut the engine off at high speeds, but have better efficiency on the highway as a result of their setup.)

At least a Volt, though, you could plug in and reasonably avoid most gasoline usage...

I disagree with that. It's very important for Tesla to have its customers as 'test drivers'. The disengagements are what help Tesla find out where its system is making mistakes, and where to improve it.

Disengagement is not necessary to train the system. It's always driving itself in shadow mode. When the driver's response diverges from what the Autopilot would have done (had it been in control) the system can flag it much like a disengagement.

9 out of 10 times when I disengage it's just because I think I will handle a particular situation better than the AP, or because I want to drive faster than the 5 mph over it allows on secondary highways, or I have some erratic traffic to deal with, not because AP has done something wrong.

The usefulness of disengagements for training the neural net is often over-stated. Yes, Tesla does use disengagement flags, but no, they are not necessary to continually improve and train the neural net.

It appears there will be multiple wildcards at play tomorrow that could affect stock prices...
No predictions. Hoping for the best but preparing for "not so much".

Yeah, I ended up buying back 10 covered calls for tomorrow with 470 SP for just $140 total, which meant I pocketed about $1,700. Just didn't want to risk a 10% rise tomorrow that would force me to sell 1,000 shares. Worth giving up $140 for a good night's sleep.... Now I hope the Iran crap doesn't put the 350 SP Puts I sold into play at the end of the month.

Oil futures spiked significantly on news of conflict escalation with Iran.

Times like these should highlight the advantages of driving a car whose fuel source is shielded from geopolitics, extreme price volatility and potential supply disruptions.
You would think... but it might be the other way around. Like, oil up 4%, market down 1-2% and TSLA tracking Nasdaq with the usual multiplier.
Lets hope not. Wondering if P&D coming in a.m. or after the close.

i mean, it's only a literal war crime to operate this way, but no big deal i'm sure according to Trump's supporters. they've long since abandoned any pretense of morality.

The Iranian general was on foreign soil (Iraq), in an area controlled by the U.S. (Baghdad airport), on an apparent paramilitary mission.

Striking of paramilitary leaders was always a grey area of international law, and unless the general was on a diplomatic mission invited by Iraq he was a fair military target.

But yes, it's a major, major escalation, and Iran is very likely to respond.

It's also pretty transparent what Trump is doing here, and these older tweets of him didn't age particularly well:

trump_iran1.jpg

Or, I'd say, these tweets, when applied to Trump's actions related to Iran, are particularly honest. ;)

Markets tomorrow could be ... choppy: Nasdaq futures are already down -1%.

Last edited:
Since targeting a specific political or military person for murder (assassination) is considered a war crime under the Geneva Convention, Congress wouldn't have authorized such a thing.

It's a brave new world out there and it's no longer a war crime if you first designate the target as a terrorist. I don't support this kind of strange logic but that's where we are at.

Oil futures spiked significantly on news of conflict escalation with Iran.

Times like these should highlight the advantages of driving a car whose fuel source is shielded from geopolitics, extreme price volatility and potential supply disruptions.

Yes absolutely. You’d think more people would understand the strategic and economic advantages of transitioning away from petroleum.
It’s a crisis like this that can be a teachable moment. This could be the beginning the first oil crisis where EVs are a practical and attractive alternative for tens of millions of people.