Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lithium-ion fires are Class B
How Do You Put Out a Lithium-Ion Battery Fire?

With a Class B fire you do not use water.
Class B fire - Wikipedia

Info for cell phones does not apply to EVs. :)

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/Model_3_Emergency_Response_Guide_en.pdf

upload_2020-1-7_21-49-47.png

You're not actually "putting out" the fire. A cell that catches fire will burn itself out; you don't put out individual cells. The point of applying water is to soak up the heat so that it cannot ignite other cells.

Lithium-ion fires are Class B
How Do You Put Out a Lithium-Ion Battery Fire?

With a Class B fire you do not use water.
Class B fire - Wikipedia

Here's Tesla's Instructions for FireFighters from their Emergency Response Guide (excerpt below from the Model 3 guide):

FIREFIGHTING

USE WATER TO FIGHT A HIGH VOLTAGE BATTERY FIRE. If the battery catches fire, is exposed to high heat, or is generating heat or gases, use large amounts of water to cool the battery. It can take approximately 3,000 gallons (11,356 liters) of water, applied directly to the battery, to fully extinguish and cool down a battery fire; always establish or request an additional water supply. If water is not immediately available, use dry chemicals, CO2, foam, or another typical fire-extinguishing agent to fight the fire until water is available.

Apply water directly to the battery. If safety permits, lift or tilt the vehicle for more direct access to the battery. Apply water inside the battery ONLY if a natural opening (such as a vent or opening from a collision) already exists. Do not open the battery for the purpose of cooling it.

Extinguish small fires that do not involve the high voltage battery using typical vehicle firefighting procedures. During overhaul, do not make contact with any high voltage components. Always use insulated tools for overhaul.

Heat and flames can compromise airbag inflators, stored gas inflation cylinders, gas struts, and other components which can result in an unexpected explosion. Perform an adequate knock down before entering a hot zone.

Battery fires can take up to 24 hours to extinguish. Consider allowing the battery to burn while protecting exposures.

After all fire and smoke has visibly subsided, a thermal imaging camera can be used to actively measure the temperature of the high voltage battery and monitor the trend of heating or cooling. There must not be fire, smoke, or heating present in the high voltage battery for at least one hour before the vehicle can be released to second responders (such as law enforcement, vehicle transporters, etc.). The battery must be completely cooled before releasing the vehicle to second responders or otherwise leaving the incident. Always advise second responders that there is a risk of battery re-ignition.

Second responders may choose to drain excess water out of the vehicle by tilting or repositioning it. This operation can assist in mitigating possible re-ignition.

Due to potential re-ignition, a Model 3 that has been involved in a submersion, fire, or a collision that has compromised the high voltage battery should be stored in an open area at least 50 ft (15 m) from any exposure.

Warning: When fire is involved, consider the entire vehicle energized. Always wear full PPE, including a SCBA.

LOL See we found the same guide to post Karen.

Are you holding 320s into 17th?
Or will consider taking profits?

I was going to take profits before the 15th (or so) until @StarFoxisDown! mentioned the possibility of the announcement of an early earnings release (and all the fun that might bring).

At this point, I think risking some of the profit by continuing to hold could possibly pay off big time. So I'm still playing it day by day. The reason I lean towards holding them most of the way to expiration is that they are basically tracking like the stock right now (minus the strike price). And I don't see the stock having anything but a minor correction going into earnings. Too much demand (probably on both the long and short-covering sides). So, to me, the upside still outweighs the downside. I actually wish/hope I could hold them through earnings for even more possibilities of a dynamic nature. But I realize that's probably not going to happen.

No one can really predict these things and I would probably be taking profits right about now if the stock wasn't so dynamic at this particular point in time. I'm not ready to give up the many possibilities just yet.

wasn't expecting this kind of a runup prior to q4 er.
anyway, my guess is that a lot of people are now in fomo mode.
i actually think the institutions dumped tesla big on the bounce from 180 low as seen from chart.
with a great q3 and now gf3 deliveries, institutions may now be getting back in.
we'll see if this hypothesis is correct when institutional ownership report is updated soon.

us-tsla-so.png

do you show your cards when playing poker?

Yes, actually I do and I don’t bluff when doing it. Show the table often enough that you don’t bluff and they believe it. Then you don’t have to show your cards and they’ll still believe you’re not bluffing. Then you can bluff with abandon. Show your cards now and again to prove you still aren’t bluffing, even on losing hands, just to keep them believing you’re an idiot. Gets them every time. I’ve won tournaments that way.

It may seem like several EVs burned up in the Stavanger fire but without the EV batteries themselves catching fire.

This from this article:

Storbrann i parkeringshus ved flyplass: – Mindre flammer nå

where fire chief Fjellberg says

– There are several EVs who obviously make it more difficult to stop the fire. But all cars on fire here are difficult to put out.

Fjellberg says that if the battery packs in electric cars start burning the job of extinguishing the fire will be more demanding. Then it will be impossible to stop the fire with water.​

Quite impressive IMHO!

Another example of this is from a forest fire where a Leaf burned down except for the batteries:

A Seriously Burned Out Nissan LEAF

Disclaimer: The journalists may have gotten some facts wrong...

Elaine on Seinfeld kind of came to mind. Looks like he was having fun. He's entitled and I'm sure more guys dance like this than we'd like to think.

I thought it was some pretty inspired dancing. Definitely not a professional dancer (or professional athlete of any kind) but it seemed genuine and kind of "groovy" in a good way. When the Microsoft management team danced on stage it was just horribly embarrassing.:rolleyes:

We are lucky to have a CEO that is pretty cool in addition to all his outstanding abilities and work ethic.

wasn't expecting this kind of a runup prior to q4 er.
anyway, my guess is that a lot of people are now in fomo mode.
i actually think the institutions dumped tesla big on the bounce from 180 low as seen from chart.
with a great q3 and now gf3 deliveries, institutions may now be getting back in.
we'll see if this hypothesis is correct when institutional ownership report is updated soon.

us-tsla-so.png

The problem is Q1 was a disaster of a quarter, and Q2 wasn't good either. Q1 expectations were terribly communicated by Tesla.

Certainly doesn't appear that there will be a repeat of that this time around though (at least not huge unexpected losses). And yes, I believe many institutions believe that now as well.

Seasonality and the delivery wave made things murky for everyone.

I just want to know where the top is in this run. I really need to decide if I'm going to deleverage before earnings or not. I'm not getting greedy this time, I learned my lesson. These calls are supergreen, there's no need to risk turning gains around...

Please come back in three years and let us know if it topped out yet.

Please.

• Love
Reactions: Lessmog
I thought it was some pretty inspired dancing. Definitely not a professional dancer (or professional athlete of any kind) but it seemed genuine and kind of "groovy" in a good way. When the Microsoft management team danced on stage it was just horribly embarrassing.:rolleyes:

We are lucky to have a CEO that is pretty cool in addition to all his outstanding abilities and work ethic.

I love seeing him having some fun and that's a meme that we'll see a lot of I'm sure. He puts in more work time than anyone I know. BTW neither myself or my husband are great dancers either :p.

Reactions: JusRelax
Attention
Market peak alert

Haha, I know what you mean but one person (or even a handful) asking about options in a Tesla investor forum isn't a peak alert. You will know it's nearing the top when you are seated in a restaurant and both tables within earshot of your table are talking about Tesla stock - right after your table was talking about Tesla stock price. Now THAT is a reliable peak alert!

I had that happen more than once in the days leading up to QCOM's 2000 peak and I actually recognized it for what it was which is why I wanted to sell it all on the last day of the year. By comparison, TSLA is still in stealth mode. This is good.