Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gotta give credit to the Usual FUD Suspects. To snip part of a Yahoo Finance headline I just saw: "Tesla probably won't be a trillion dollar company soon".

Headline did not, though, define "soon".

OK, that settles it then. I guess we'll have to settle for a ten-bagger in the short term! :)

I could live with an 890 billion market cap by the end of the year! LOL! I think they misplaced the decimal point if they were trying to say we're only going 20% higher. Ten baggers is what I look for and, if it happens "soon", that's something to celebrate!

So where is your stop loss at? :)

$39. That's to ensure my TSLA shares earn at least a small profit. Please don't say that makes me a weak long. ;)

OK, that's impossible or I would have been cashed out shortly after purchase. :confused:

In reality I keep raising my stop limit to slightly less than double the current price. My broker says that is sufficient to prevent my shares from being lent to short sellers. Others here may want to do the same, although some brokers may require a tighter stop. :cool:

I feel bad for any Tesla long whose investment horison ended last or previous year, or who for any other reason closed their positions.

I keep thinking about this. I absolutely would have told anyone in 2014 "buy this stock and hold for at least 5 years - you won't regret it". 5 years later this investor would look at essentially flat returns vs. the market and would be completely rational in saying "time to move on". At a 5 year time horizon that's not a weak long by any definition. Yet the market still would have beaten them. The only defense against this is knowledge. For that, I'm very thankful for this forum.

1F9156D3-9655-42FB-9CE7-BB9829DBE006.jpeg

5) Ghosn is a very different leader to Musk. Ghosn is a flamboyant talker, extroverted, proud. Initially I found him a bit full of himself. He was much more of a traditional CEO focused on markets, dividends, margins. Musk in contrast is more about engineering, technical developments and highly product focused. Having said that, Ghosn was really ahead of everyone else with the initial EV transition.
The problem Ghosn had with the Leaf is that he only looked at the accounting side of it. So instead of creating a new car, he believed it was enough to modify an existing car, and do it in the least expensive way possible. This led to a car which was best suited to be a second car and wasn't particularly attractive (style-wise) to most. Thinking small is not how to succeed in the BEV world.

Your link took me to this:
View attachment 497974

I was going to say "Bad Link!" but then I realized that "Something went wrong" is probably that retail short's actual tweet message.

You bet it did, buddy!

Here was his message:

One of Elon's hemorrhoids

@kaffeedosenfil1

Ok. I closed my short pos on $tsla with -50%. And due to I didnt want to believe wtf is going on, my pos size was way (I mean way!) to big. I've learned my lesson, closed and bought some jan 2021 puts, in case something happens... $tsla $tslaq

There has to be more then good earning with TSLA to make move like this, may be big investor have knowledge of next generation battery.

I doubt it. This behavior would be consistent with the short percentage and the realization that Tesla really is the "next big thing". It takes a long time for people to catch on to things like this and even longer for the capital to get there.

Information travels at the speed of light nowadays but people are still just as slow as ever to change their beliefs.

This is in contrast to, say, obvious and simple news that will move markets almost instantly. This is a belief system that needs to change. It takes a lot longer and needs more confirmation. I've even seen evidence of that here - the rising price has increased people's confidence they were right. Imagine how much greater the impact on someone who didn't believe at all, to begin with, and is just now "coming around". The rising share price acts as powerful evidence that EV's really are the "next big thing". That is why this rally is not finished yet. Sometimes it's a disadvantage to be too close to the story. To know it too well. Because things take longer than you thought they should.

Last edited: