Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my question as well -- can shorts just default en masse, preventing a short squeeze? i mean as far as i can tell, there's nothing stopping a fund (i.e. corporation) from going bankrupt and defaulting on all its obligations, while its owners walk away with all their personal assets (and assets in other businesses) in tact.
No. Broker has to buy shares.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Tesla fans already have a reputation for being smug and braggy. it's almost impossible to talk about your own good fortune without annoying the listener. my advice is don't bring it up unless they do, and even then, don't take that as necessarily an invitation to drive a whole conversation about it.

Meh. I told everyone I know multiple times over the last eight years to buy TSLA. If they failed to follow my advice, too bad, so sad, they just going to have to put up with my happy dance.

Fortunately, some did buy TSLA and are quite happy, most have kept an eye on the share price, and all are currently fine with my ‘Did you see the SP today?’ and have been gracious in their congratulations.

Surround yourself with positive people, who are on your side, and all will rejoice in each other’s good fortune.

I’ve also started getting adoption requests. :rolleyes:

$39. That's to ensure my TSLA shares earn at least a small profit. Please don't say that makes me a weak long. ;)

OK, that's impossible or I would have been cashed out shortly after purchase. :confused:

In reality I keep raising my stop limit to slightly less than double the current price. My broker says that is sufficient to prevent my shares from being lent to short sellers. Others here may want to do the same, although some brokers may require a tighter stop. :cool:
Or don’t have margin on your account. Your shares cannot be loaned without a margin account

• Informative
Reactions: capster and MP3Mike
The problem that many of the shorts don't grasp is there is very little, if any knowledge base overlap between designing EV drivetrains and ICE drivetrains, and since most ICE outsource everything but the engine, new entrants can just outsource the body/etc to those same manufacturers that the ICE companies use if they so choos
A company like Sony (Who has been designing electrical things for like half a century) probably knows more about building a good EV battery setup than a company like Audi does.

Your main point of little overlap between EV and ICE drivetrains is surely true.
Your second suggesting Sony knows more about EV battery setup than ICE companies seems unfounded.

"Sony Corporation manufactures audio, home video game consoles, communications, key device, and information technology products for the consumer and professional markets. The Company's other businesses include music, pictures, computer entertainment, and online businesses."

Sony and Panasonic compete in several markets but battery cell and EV drivetrains aren't one of them.
Sony is entertaining the notion of coming out with an EV because they are even more clueless about how difficult that is than Audi and other ICE vehicle makers.

• Informative
Reactions: Sean Wagner
There's a big difference between the two runs. 2013 was based on future expectations of a Wall Street darling. 2020 is based on proven bad-ass growth through years of scoffing, scorn and hatred from the Street.
I'll accept that but I had my S for a while in 2013 and the run didn't seem based on much of anything besides actually producing a car not by hand. I would have thought the 3 would have brought a huge run like that but that never . . ..uh maybe now ?
Now seems based on future expectations of 'killing it'..and China maybe...or wait, maybe it was me. this is about the same time frame for the stock rise as after getting my P85 in '12 as getting my P3 in '19
this time I will not sell 1/2 :oops:

Last edited:
SpaceX shares only briefly made it to the secondary markets and then only very in small amounts. Nowadays, the company has right of first refusal to buy any shares, resulting in nothing making it to the secondary markets that I am aware of.

Musk Inc. increasingly has a velvet rope for investors. We should all be grateful that the $420 buyout didn't materialize. The velvet rope increasingly benefits those who got into TSLA early.

Guess I got lucky then.

Are you sure you are right? FORGE has them as raising money on a pretty regular basis. Are you saying SpaceX is self funding right now? Maybe when StarLink is active.

Forge

Which of the many “Volkswagen AG” stock symbols are you using (and offer the best comparison)? I see quite a few, listed on different exchanges.

Thanks @VValleyEV. I got quizzed on this by @bhtooefr too, and I realize that I was assuming $US quotes from GOOGLEFINANCE() even though I knew the German stocks were listed out of Stuttgart (see my last post here). So my marketcaps for VW, Daimler and BMW have been off (overvalued) by ~12%. :(

The good news is that it turns out that Tesla passed VW on Dec. 19th (if my re-calculations are correct). If I'm right, Tesla is now the second most valuable auto manufacturer in the world (by market cap).

Here's the updated chart:

upload_2020-1-8_14-0-39.png

Anyone want to check my work?

Moderator edit: Take a look at my post here; I think this is where the confusion is: Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019-2020 Investors' Roundtable

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Dig deeper
Are you basing your theory on this? Because I think charts like that work...until they don't.

ENxr003WsAA5UTj

So, the idea is we can’t color outside of some arbitrary lines? Cause I can redraw the lines if that’ll help? I can even add some additional graphics; unicorns, rainbows, dragons. Whatever you want. We can make it even prettier.

Thanks @VValleyEV. I got quizzed on this by @bhtooefr too, and I realize that I was assuming $US quotes from GOOGLEFINANCE() even though I knew the German stocks were listed out of Stuttgart (see my last post here). So my marketcaps for VW, Daimler and BMW have been off by ~12%. :(

The good news is that it turns out that Tesla passed VW on Dec. 19th (if my re-calculations are correct). If I'm right, they're now the second most valuable auto manufacturer in the world (by market cap).

Here's the updated chart:

View attachment 497982

Anyone want to check my work?

With the European companies, make sure you aren't confusing market cap in Euros with market cap in dollars.

• Informative
Reactions: kcveins