Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm very excited about the new price $TSLA is going. It definitely is a good affirmation that Tesla is going the right way.

However, I'm not hitting that "sell"-button anytime soon. I suck at trading, so for me it's just accumulating and holding shares. I'm here for at least another couple of years.

My price-target to sell is around Catherine Wood predicted levels (3000$ to 4000$ :cool::D) Maybe I'll finally hit that sell button in 2024 - 2025
You might want to look at Ark's latest bull case. It's quite a bit higher than 4k now. ;)

Added you to the convo :) Looks like it'll likely be mid-to-late summer, since that's what most people had interest in :)
We have summertime direct flights from Kansas City. I've been meaning to take advantage.

is that after a split?
& if anyone knows...when/why does a company split? I'd think at this level would be a decent time to get more folks into shares for a lower adjusted price.
..hoping for some friends (outa spare $ myself :D )

... @Silentkeravelt 'shortenfreude' lol! beautiful
I don't think Tesla would split until there is a sufficiently high enough and stable trading range. Maybe $1000+.

At least in the USA, you can easily buy fractional shares so there's less impediment here due to a high share price.

Last edited:
My IRA... still.

1-13-2020 12-04-25 PM.png

Exactly 4 weeks until I'm 59-1/2 (head's up for you day traders).
I haven't owned a boat in 10 yrs and dreaming again. But Cybertruck isn't available yet.
Then realized how much gas boats use... gotta go find (or make) electric then. But what if Cybertruck is amphibious afterall?
Timing is all wrong... what to do!!!

My strategy so far has been to buy at <$300. Small amounts in my unqualified account that I buy/sell for short term gains, and much larger amounts in my qualified account where I have most of it under $200.

I told my wife to buy TSLA in the low $200s, but she was too nervous because EM was asking like an ass on Twitter back then. Now, since she never bought any, I can't really share my joy at the current run-up, that would just get her (more) upset.

Well, I have my doubts I'll get a chance to put some of my funds in around the $200's, but I'd take sub $400's. But I will try to be patient, holding for dips and making multiple buys to get the rest into the stock.

Good call on keeping the run-up to yourself. Doing otherwise might have long lasting negative effects. :D

Reactions: Duffer and madodel
Thank god the Oppenheimer guy corrected that nonsense CNBC just tried to spew. They had to get in some sort of dig on Tesla and went back to an oldie - "You have to dig up a lot of coal and burn natural gas to make the energy to run those cars....."

Oppenheimer dude shut down that crap super fast by pointing out how coal is rapidly being shut down and replaced by renewable because the cost factor is so much cheaper.

Last edited:
Lets say I was the administrator of an index fund that sees Tesla becoming part of the S&P 500 in Q2. It would seem best to buy some calls today to exercise them when I need to add Tesla to the portfolio right ? That would be better than buying the shares right now and having to show that 5% accumulation report...
Then if many do that in Q2, I would think you might actually see a real short squeeze as the calls are exercised and not just cashed in...

is that after a split?
& if anyone knows...when/why does a company split? I'd think at this level would be a decent time to get more folks into shares for a lower adjusted price.
..hoping for some friends (outa spare $ myself :D )

... @Silentkeravelt 'shortenfreude' lol! beautiful

I doubt Tesla will split anytime soon. Look at Amazon, it's share price is almost $2,000/share.

Fundamentally, the Board of Directors is who decides whether or not to split a company's shares. The reason to do so is to allow more small investors to buy shares. It used to be that you'd pay a premium if you didn't buy 100 shares at a time. Now that's no longer an issue. So the incentive to do a stock split is less.

Frankly, both Amazon and Tesla have incentives to NOT do a stock split. Both companies had naysayers banging away at their stock price for years. Having a high stock price is an advertisement of how far and fast the company has grown. It reminds people that this company is now real force, and it's also a bit of a middle finger to all the naysayers.

I personally wouldn't do a stock split right now, for those reasons alone.

Short squeeze continues.

Everyone who shorted at $260 and nuder now, and hasn't covered, has lost more than 100% of their money.

Someone who shorted at $300 has now lost over 73% of their money
Someone who shorted at $350 has now lost over 49% of their money
Even someone whoe shorted near the 2017-19 highs of ~$380 has now lost 37% of their money now.
Even nuder now, if they haven't covered ... :D

as we are obsessing about the two more valuable auto companies we might keep in mind that both of them are diversified in ways that might be considered roughly equivalent to Tesla with TE.

That is not the really interesting part; VAG has a dividend yield of 2.14% and Toyota is 2.57%. Considering the very low interest rates in the areas of largest activity for both, one might say they have very, very rich dividends.

Given their not so stellar prospects at this point it's no wonder they must pay richly for the investors they have.

OTOH, at my average acquisition price AAPL has an even higher dividend yield. Not so at current price. Thus my own logic suggests one can easily forego dividends for a long time if the future prospects are good. Someday TSLA might slow down enough to pay dividends too. 'might' not 'will'

A video on Tesla AutoPilot/FSD was linked from here[1] (sorry, I don't recall who posted it).

I started watching it a bit and... of the two points he's made so far, one is overstated and the other is just wrong.

1. shadow mode. He makes the point that AutoPilot is, essentially, running all of the time and thus can produce data even when not engaged. Which is certainly true. However, what he is missing is that there is too much data. Consequently, Tesla has to prioritize what to look at and disengagements make a nice trigger. Of course, it isn't the only trigger. IIRC, Karpathy used the "cut ins" as an example of how they went to the fleet to collect data for that case. There are others, like simply having submission of frames that match keys (example I'm thinking of was for bike vs bike on car).

So when he says others are wrong (Lex Friedman) I think that is (unintentionally) deceptive. Lex knows more about what he is talking about than this youtuber. (selective quoting notwithstanding)

2. split brain FSD. He then argues that because HW3 has two "CPUs" that it can run split brain and have one loaded on each. Maybe. It is certainly possible but there is good reason to believe that this is wrong. For starters, if Tesla wants to compare two versions they can do so already on their own, back at HQ. They don't need to involve cars.

Secondly, and I think more importantly, doing so violates the design of the board. It is intended to provide n+1 redundancy, which includes neural net results. A result is only approved if both provide the same result. You could hypothesize that this could be done as validation but (as already pointed out) they don't need to and the intent is to ensure that no error crept in and that the result is valid.

Basically, if you ran different versions and they came up with the same result you wouldn't know if it was an error in one (or both). If they came up with different results you would have the same problem.

Is it possible what’s happening right now is new shorts are selling to old shorts and longs are just watching ?
I think large buyers are still the one's driving this. The share price wouldn't hold otherwise.

Plenty of big buyers like T Rowe Price and Fidelity dumped shares in 2018 and early 2019. Eventually some of them might start looking at TSLA again.