Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm guessing we are seeing profit taking at the 540 level or so and some attempts to push it down. I'd guest if we can move past $545 then it's another solid day. Anyone naked shorting this is nuts with the ER still a couple weeks away.

Bought another 5 shares at open. Smart? Stupid? Who knows.

Right up there with Fiat-Chrysler paying for GF4.
Or outright licensing the entire Tesla tech stack.

Anyone deep in short-term options with high strikes had better not be there without knowing exactly what they're doing. Long term buy and hold investors don't need to worry about piddly 10% drops in the share price - they will still own the same percent of the same company.

Look at Ross Gerber. He had $105,000 worth of Tesla when it was $30/share. But he traded/sold it and now only has 200 shares left. If he had done nothing but let that $105,000 sit, his shares would now be worth $1.8 million. Instead, he still has $105,000 worth. If it triples from here he would have had $5.4 million instead of $315,000.

People think they are smarter than they are.
This is one of the things that I like about $TSLA:

1) if it goes up, then my investment has grown and I can feel good about it

2) if it goes down, then I can add discounted shares

Which only works because I'm convinced that it will continue to rise over the long term. If I had a shorter investment horizon I would feel differently about it. But the last month or so sure feels good :D

Sorry people, due to the recent spike in price I had to sell a small part of my holding to secure my retirement in June. Have 5 years worth of cash now (need to find somewhere to place this in my IRA). :):):). Still have 100% in TSLA for now and feel we can ride it out for a while.
I cannot thank all of the people here enough for the posts, links to news, ideas and overall information about investing.
We have been in this stock from $28.50 a share and buying all the way up to $425 a share.
Go Elon and thank you for the ride! Cyber truck reserved and Arizona here we come!

Sorry people, due to the recent spike in price I had to sell a small part of my holding to secure my retirement in June. Have 5 years worth of cash now (need to find somewhere to place this in my IRA). :):):). Still have 100% in TSLA for now and feel we can ride it out for a while.
I cannot thank all of the people here enough for the posts, links to news, ideas and overall information about investing.
We have been in this stock from $28.50 a share and buying all the way up to $425 a share.
Go Elon and thank you for the ride! Cyber truck reserved and Arizona here we come!

Congratulations! Hope you enjoy your well deserved retirement!

Finger was hovering over the buy button at 525, I almost rage sold lol, then I saw the volume. It was the MOAMMD

Bad investor, don't cut off your own feet!
IMO, don't think about what it is right now. What price to do you think Tesla will get to in 5 or 10 years? That's what matters. That line of thinking is what kept me from selling at 180. I still saw Tesla ending up at the same place.

People think they are smarter than they are.
I always try to be mindful of Dunning-Kruger. Of course being mindful of that suggests that I'm also a victim of it. :eek:

IMO, don't think about what it is right now. What price to do you think Tesla will get to in 5 or 10 years? That's what matters. That line of thinking is what kept me from selling at 180. I still saw Tesla ending up at the same place.
Agreed, I am struggling with my transition in investment strategy from swing trading to holding long term. I had been jumping in and out with $10 swings and making regular money, with very little risk. Now I am more tolerant of risk, but still very green.

Thanks everyone who have given time and knowledge in helping other little fish like me succeed.

To answer the question everybody has - no one knows!

Many seem to be not prepared for the situation we are in or are overwhelmed by emotions and I feel a lot of greed in the market right now too which is not good. No one knows where the top is and with respect to myself I don't care.

I recommend always and only to invest capital that you do not need for the long run and if you do that it does not matter if we reached the top already or if we go to $1k. Without knowing you gamble if you intend to swing trade which is fair but don't complain if you never get the shares back as cheap as today and to go in later 100 or 200 higher may be a painful excise.

Humans tend to compare the current stock price with where it was before ignoring that the stock price does not care.

IOWs, you may not be prepared for the swing upwards we are in regardless if its stopped or goes higher. Many reasons I can bring why the one or the other but since we left the trading range (280-380) we have been in before all previous behavior does not apply any more and the only thing we know is that the amount of what we don't know did increase.

Trading now is like being blindfolded with two eyes versus before just with one.

If you feel, to realized profit is good do it but you should be also aware that you realized opportunity costs too unless this very moment when I write this is the ATH ever of Tesla and I assume we agree that won't be the case.

If you need anyway urgently cash and you will be in profits now regardless when you bought you make a short term win but loose a in my opinion larger opportunity in front of you and thats true even if we consolidate and go 200 down tomorrow. To count the % or $ you gained is a not smart move but human and I am also not free of that. Also humans tend to feel the pain of lost potential wins harder than anything are most are afraid of the feeling of regret. Its all about your emotions how how you can deal with them.

Ron Baron is a good example where he invested early in Tesla, making I believe it was 100% gain in half a year, sold everything at that time happy for the quick win and regretted later badly. He bought later again and much more at a much higher price and lost significant gains on the way up and likely all his wins too if we have stayed in. Many even good investors make foolish mistakes.

This is no advice but if you want to be on the safe side and believe in the opportunity the stock has on the long run and don't need your capital on the short run the safest way to make good profit over time is not to sell even if it may look high for you. Since we did not have any pull back I also would not buy because one day there will be a consolidation but it may beging way higher. Even if the price you pay is higher than what we have today. Don't listen to the few who successfully traded the dip this is usually more luck than anything and if you believe in luck to and do roulette.

Not sure if thats helpful for anybody but think twice and don't forget I'm a fool like we all are :rolleyes:

BTW, while I wrote this the SP went from 535 to 526 and is now at 543 again.

I always try to be mindful of Dunning-Kruger. Of course being mindful of that suggests that I'm also a victim of it. :eek:
There's nothing wrong with being aware of your limitations. Not everyone succumbs to Dunning-Kruger though a little knowledge can be very deceptive. Reflection and self-knowledge have shown me how I have exhibited the effects in the past. While I still can (and do) make mistakes, they rarely happen because I over extend my knowledge. And I attribute this to a constant evaluation of the limits of my knowledge and a willingness to adapt.

I'm hoping this is the pattern we have seen before with a second, weaker push down followed by the big spike.
What is this “fuel pump” of which you speak?
It's kinda like the boring co flamethrower but it's used inside a vehicle. Can you imagine that people are comfortable sitting on a device that is spraying aerosolized gasoline at high pressure which is then lit on fire??? :eek:

I'm hoping this is the pattern we have seen before with a second, weaker push down followed by the big spike.

It's kinda like the boring co flamethrower but it's used inside a vehicle. Can you imagine that people are comfortable sitting on a device that is spraying aerosolized gasoline at high pressure which is then lit on fire??? :eek:
Our safety training at work tells us to avoid that situation.