Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That last point seems difficult. Even if you do resist telling, eventually people are going to figure it out.

Usually it doesn't take long after telling people about your tesla position size and/or net worth before the first "request" or "can you consider this" comes in. People then learn pretty quickly to keep their mouth shut lol.

I'm super selective over who I've told my net worth, assets, or position in Tesla...….none of which are my family lol

almost at 6 figure here and pissed that I didn't double down.
Pissed you didn't double down? I’m pissed I didn’t liquidate every other investment, mortgage the house and take out every loan I could get and throw it all in TSLA last summer. @Krugerrand wouldn't have been able to find an island I didn’t already own.

:rolleyes:

For the newly minted, it’s a million before taxes. Afterwards, not so much. Nobody is getting out of paying their fair share of taxes, so suck it up, pay them and move on. The remainder, in the scheme of things, isn’t all that much in modern times. If you can balance a checkbook, you can manage easily without third parties.

It’s not like anyone won Powerball - yet.

If you’re someone who has never been able to manage money, then sure find someone to help you.
I'd look into the long term cap gain table ASAP and plan a selling schedule.

Reactions: mickificki
Regarding all this talk about "taking some profits off the table." I am going to hold until I plan to spend the money or find better investments. Cash is the worst investment out there because of inflation. You have to put it into something or spend it.

Also... in .com bubble, yeh a lot of stocks went down the crapper. But holding was good advice for the winners like Amazon. Tesla is imho likely to be a winner long term.

I wouldn't say no news, there has actually been news (a workaround for the Michigan sales ban being approved, and POTUS revealing a new US Tesla factory (which, to be fair, was reasonably predictable, and was reported as having been investigated)), as well as strong rumor re: the Model Y.
Actually, the real news, which evidently many missed, is Tesla’s expansion into heavy construction machinery.

The first product will be badged the “Meteor."

It’s shown in this spy video:

/jk :p

Sry shorts, but you can’t say there weren’t plenty of warning signs.

I'd look into the long term cap gain table ASAP and plan a selling schedule.

This!

Should have mentioned it before, but when I do eventually start selling my shares 5-6 years from now to roll them into investments with dividends, it will be in tranches to stay below certain income levels for capital gains. Everyone should pay attention this.

Never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd end up with what I have now. I chose a career that makes me about 40k a year. For a long time I thought I'd never own a home, and even retirement seemed far fetched. Now I have enough to buy my parents house outright. I might end up with enough to retire at 40 very soon. I can't believe it.
And the best is yet to come my friend... have patience and ye shall be richly rewarded. Have patients and ye shall be a doctor.

:rolleyes:

For the newly minted, it’s a million before taxes. Afterwards, not so much. Nobody is getting out of paying their fair share of taxes, so suck it up, pay them and move on. The remainder, in the scheme of things, isn’t all that much in modern times. If you can balance a checkbook, you can manage easily without third parties.

It’s not like anyone won Powerball - yet.

If you’re someone who has never been able to manage money, then sure find someone to help you.

Taxes are pretty easy to figure out too, just make sure you pay your estimated taxes through the year. You get hit with a penalty if you wait.

• Helpful
Reactions: immunogold
If you keep the same lifestyle and you don't tell, how would they know?

Sure, eventually people will know you are better off, but you don't have to help them know just how much. I have a good friend who has done much better financially than I have. He doesn't talk about it and I don't ask. Trust me, it helps to not talk about it.

I may have already screwed up that 1st part, and it's totally not Tesla or investment related.

• Informative
Reactions: wipster
Damn damn damn.

I'm panicking - my 700-750-800 calls gamble of $2k is showing +$4k. If I take it out now it's a free acceleration boost for my AWD 3.

But what if it becomes +$20k?

My CT gamble of loading the margin with the calls is showing I have a free 3-motor CT 2 years early.

I'm pretty calm about these calls though. Will let them run and earn me a free solar roof and maybe heat pump, electric water heater, electric stove?

This is in addition to shares owned with my own money, which I'm not selling.

Usually it doesn't take long after telling people about your tesla position size and/or net worth before the first "request" or "can you consider this" comes in. People then learn pretty quickly to keep their mouth shut lol.

I'm super selective over who I've told me net worth, assets, or position in Tesla...….none of which are my family lol
From my limited experience of living only in Pennsylvania, this is pretty standard in the US. We tend to not talk about how much we make/have. My daughter found when she moved to Germany that most people she socialized with were very open about how much they were paid at work.

Totally agree. Tesla produces pure magic in all its vehicles. At the announced price points for the Cybertruck, demand is not even a concern (only figuring out how to meet it).

I agree. Before purchasing my 2012 MS, I drove a F150. CyberTruck has grown on me and I have put down a deposit but I'm waiting for a 3-seater. The specs are what really sold me. Twice the mileage for 10's of thousands less.

Most important advice:

You aren’t truly a Tesla millionaire until you actually sell the stock (or whatever instrument you used) and take your profits.

(Rode my Netscape investment all the way from IPO @~$30/share through its peak @~$190/share - and all the way to the smoking hole in the ground at the end).
Same with me and Iomega!

It’s been almost a full 8 years since the release of Model S - my mind has had plenty of time to digest what’s happening. Might I suggest more cauliflower and broccoli for your brain? They worked for me. I’m not freaking out at all now as the SP closes in rapidly on my 20 bagger. Less than 7% to go.
Then you bought with same cost basis as my first 300 share. :)

My daugther (13) asked me to invest her (small) savings last week. Bought her 4 TSLA. She‘s happy AF about the gains. :D