Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lol, de nada amigo.

View attachment 505886

Folks should reread what I wrote since Spring 2019 about the "G-Cube". Bty Day is coming in April, and Elon said tonight "some retail investors have figured it out".

3 WORDS: First Prinicples Thinking

Cheers to the Longs!
I know many folks here are aware of it, but it’s interesting to (re)read Heinlein's “Friday”, where Daniel Shipstone “sciences the *sugar*” out of the battery problem.

Hilarious how Elon's pretty much openly saying if you want to know the specs/numbers of our next-gen batteries and battery processes...…..follow the retail investors.

Seems like the only real negative to come out of this earnings and conf call is that there is a bit of a doubt about Q1 profitability. But now that Tesla is lowballing estimates so much, who know's if they're actually sandbagging that guidance as well.

Since TMC is clearly at the heart of the TSLA retail discussion, I take this as Elon Musk's personal nod to the excellent posters here.

So all those who make highly informative posts here should feel proud - and I think we can all feel very good about our long TSLA exposure.

Btw, in about 12 hours my portfolio increased in value equal to one whole year's salary...

I'm 100% content with such advances being sprung on the market without warning. People should think twice before shorting TSLA.

Tesla gave their guidance: installed production capacity of 790,000 vehicles/year by mid-2020 ...
Not that I don't trust your facts, but I listened to the webcast and read the ER slides, and IMO it was:
Current annual production rate:
Fremont S/X = 90k
Fremont 3/Y = 400k
Shanghai 3 = 150k
Total = 640k

Mid 2020 forecast:
Model 3/ Model Y installed capacity in Fremont will extend to 500,000 by mid-2020
So if S/X/MIC3 were to remain flat that would result in 740k.

Where did you get 790k? Of course Shanghai would ramp, so your statement is probably an accurate forecast. I must have missed it on the call.

Either way: the above proves that expected deliveries of 500k in 2020 is a very conservative projection. Which I love, since that way Tesla can keep on beating Wall Street expectations, rendering the TMC crowd richer.

ER was good and I'm bullish on the long term.
That said it's quite obvious that we are reaching a peak in enthusiasm and exuberance, just like we reached a peak in negative sentiment in late May / June.
A lot of shorts will be forced to cover and that will provide momentum, but the short interest is relatively low and the price action has gone parabolic for a while now. Risk reward in the short to mid term is skewed to the downside at these prices.
We'll see! It's going to be a fun day. :)

Going into 2020 I feel like Tesla Energy is still very underappreciated, but it's obviously growing very nicely.

S/X is limited by the 18650 capacity which Tesla/Panasonic is not going to expand. So not much unit growth on the S/X unless a smaller pack returns

Q4 '20 production of S/X was 17,933 while capacity is 22,500.

For 2020 S/X production was 63,381 while capacity was 90,000.

So Tesla can increase production 42% of S/X in 2020 over 2019 if demand is there.

Just a quick recap of what happened in after-hours and pre-market trading after the stunning Q3 results back in October:

upload_2020-1-30_10-50-8.png

The yellow areas are after-hours and pre-market trading. So after Q3 results TSLA popped from $255 to $308 (up +20%), then moved back to $298 in pre-market trading, a -3.3% drop.

On the next day, I suspect it was options market makers/writers or big shorts who executed a heroic 20 million shares effort to keep the price under control and forced the price into a tight band of $289-$304 with a $299 closing price.

TSLA popped to its new range only after that day:

upload_2020-1-30_10-54-55.png

Markets are fundamentally imperfect, and price discovery is never instantaneous - in the case of Tesla it took something like 2 years after the writing was on the wall in 2018 already. :p

So while history seldom repeats, keep this in mind - but also keep it in mind that I could be wrong and this is not advice. :D

What was weird to me is the analyst pushed again specifically on the ultracap technology and Elon said that is actually part of the puzzle. I'm confused on that piece, didn't seem like that sort of ultra high energy density made sense anywhere in the automotive space. Will have to think on this more.
Raven may be using Ultracaps for its active rear suspension (replace shock absorber energy reservoir). Photos and discussion here on TMC in 2019Q2.

They are getting shut out and have histories of horrible predictions. Not a good look.

I swear to God those triple-niners at ARK are the only ones I’m going to listen to. I hope Tasha and Cathie are well-compensated for their work.

Given her patience in the face of these insultingly stupid comments, Cathie Woods should write herself a check for a million dollars for every CNBC appearance.

In a platonic way, I love that woman.

Well, who am I kidding? To hell with platonic.

European trading opened half an hour ago (prices in Euros):

Around ~$640. I'd expect lots of short covering for the Euro TSLA shares as well.

More than 15,000 shares traded so far, which is very high level of trading for Frankfurt.

Edit: 24,000 shares traded now ...

edit: corrected volume
Frighteningly, it looks like the CO2 ppm data.

I contend that fair market cap is already about $250 Billion and will not consider selling a large percentage of my holdings til then.
We'll probably get there (and even higher). I wouldn't necessarily sell a core long position, I'm just saying that opening a new position now is probably not the best idea from a risk / reward standpoint.

We'll probably get there (and even higher). I wouldn't necessarily sell a core long position, I'm just saying that opening a new position now is probably not the best idea from a risk / reward standpoint.
Well this is exact moment is an inverse falling knife so yeah it's impossible to time but looks bullish af to me

I'm 99% sure Elon was talking in general about Maxwell technology. He didn't want to get into an ultracap versus dry electrode distinction. Anyone who saw this podcast knows ultracaps aren't part of the equation.
Not for the traction pack, but UltraCaps are far more suitable for implimenting an electric suspension system. Those require 100s of millions of cycles over its lifetime.

Using Ultracaps means no more replacing worn out shocks, the same way Regen means no more replacing worn out brakes.

Elon did say a small roll for UltraCaps. Listen to his comments again.

Cheers!

was listening to the call last night until 1.30am (CET) - with one eye opened and about to sleep...can not remember who of the analysts asked about fund raising but it was obvious it was a short biased question.
Something like: Hi Elon, don't you think the timing for cash raising is given due to the SP being high?
I mean, simply by that type of question it is obvious that this person is either confident about what he is saying or some big players are pushing him to behave as such.

Key Notes from Tesla Q4:

• 2020 deliveries guidance lower bound of 500k. I've seen many people mischaracterize 500k as Tesla's 2020 guidance. It is not, it is a lower bound that they expect to hit even if they encounter huge issues with the Model Y and GF3 production ramps. Given their comments on production plans, I think the undisclosed upper bound is likely ~650k.
  • Production capacity of 590k in Fremont and at least 150k in China by the end of June. They also plan to take the GF3 Model 3 line beyond 150k and the Model Y GF3 factory is under construction. I still expect Tesla to take Fremont 3 + Y beyond 500k capacity later this year. 500k can be achieved quickly with low capex and mostly existing staff. Body Shop capacity is very likely going to be significantly above 500k at June, but taking all sub lines beyond 500k will likely require a Paint shop upgrade and possibly a change to stamping. General assembly capacity is unclear - it is low capex and low opex but footprint availability is the only question.
  • Tesla appears to be much further with its plans to move to end to end machine learning on video from 8 camera feeds than I expected. This is likely using their new Project Dojo server chip for neural net training. This is likely to be game changing not only for Tesla's Autopilot accuracy/disengagement rates, but for the Artificial Intelligence field generally.
  • The team appears to be getting even more excited about their huge battery cell breakthroughs and this should be revealed in April.
  • Model Y is in production already and to some extent production capacity will be flexible between 3 & Y ( i think this means battery supply, Paintshop and general assembly while casting shop and body shop will be separate). Tesla will be incentivised to divert as much capacity to Model Y as possible (and this could lead to Model 3 price rises). Even without price rises, this is likely to significantly improve ASP mix and margins for Fremont in 2020 given Model Y gross profit per car will be ~$3k higher than an equivalent Model 3 and that initial orders will be limited to the extremely high ASP and margin AWD and P models.

I don't believe him. I think it's obvious that Starlink will be used by Tesla vehicles eventually. They'll need universal connectivity for level 4 FSD for quite a while. There will be "driver centers" with Tesla people ready to take over in situations the vehicles can't deal with. Examples include such things as law enforcement wanting to talk to the driver, total obstruction of sensors rendering self-driving impossible, severe damage to the vehicle.

Laws (at least in some places) will require that action can be taken under such circumstances and Tesla will have to have some way of connecting to the vehicle. Starlink solves the problem and will be comparatively cheap for Tesla. You don't need lots of bandwidth, just a connection. And that means you can get away with a smaller antenna if you want.

I think Tesla's first use for Starlink would be to use them at the (larger) Supercharger sites for providing WIFI there.

Edit: Compared to Maxwell and batteries, I consider the Starlink synergy to be of limited value.