Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla's Q1 international RO-RO shipments are in full swing, here's the ship positions from today:

EQINBkGWoAAbV3l

The first European ship, Glovis Cosmos, should arrive in 1-2 days at Zeebrugge.

Thank you so much for posting this. I was literally thinking ALL NIGHT in my sleep, "Are there any ships taking cars to be delivered? How many cars are going to be delivered this quarter?"

So you answered one of my questions. Wish you had posted last night though - maybe I would have gotten twice as much sleep with half as many questions on my mind. :)

I strongly believe short sellers manipulated google to make 'should I buy Tesla stock' come up when you type 'should I', to make TSLA look like a mania.
Huh...
I would interpret that as meaning others having the same idea currently.
Look at the new positions in SoFi and Robinhood.
Tesla passes Apple as No. 1 holding on SoFi as young investors rush into surging stock
Live: TSLA currently #1
Robintrack
TSLA specific
Robintrack

Don't go by CNBC's coverage:
Tesla is becoming a one-stock mania

Model Y is more efficient than Model 3? How do they achieve that?

old M3 EPA? my P3- range is up about 3% on the last update and local tech said there is potentially more.(and that the Y is super siiick ....after getting back from training the week before!!!!)

..also Everyone can thank me if the stock goes up : > decided to 'play' with 25 shares earlier this morning

Model Y matches the Model 3 on the highway and beats it in the city.
My WAG for the city is improved regen.

The highway match is the more impressive result that I cannot even guess at.

Wasn't there speculation that the cabin and battery heating was being sourced more efficiently from the drivetrain? I'd guess they are finding many improvements that have yet to be implemented in the 3.
There's rumors that there's now heat pump HVAC on the Model Y, and Tesla did use the 5-cycle test for the Y per the latest fuel economy datafile, so the heat pump's improved efficiency will be reflected.

Another interesting thing: given that Model Y P19 efficiency is the same as the Model 3 P18 (the 3 P19 isn't the right comparison, as the Y 19" wheels are aero wheels, and the Y has more sidewall, which can give lower rolling resistance), yet shorter range (316 derated to 315, as opposed to 332 derated to 322), Tesla's leaving about 5% of range on the table. The pack specs (350 V, 230 Ah) quoted in the EPA data file are the same, so that almost reads like Tesla's decided to leave some room at the top of the pack?

Tesla's brand value ranked the fastest growing of any company in the world by Brand Finance - 65% increase in brand value over last year.

I had to give up part way through that video, I found the guest far too dull and difficult to listen to. I'm a fan of the channel, just not that video. Even if the message was largely a positive one.

I understand that. For every seller, there is a buyer. But logically, if one is a bull and knows that there will be some short selling that is disconnected from one's view of the intrinsic value of the stock, wouldn't the bull or bulls always be ready to buy more stock to completely counteract the effect of the short selling?
This assumes that bulls always have dry powder, aren't concerned with the percentage of investment in a single stock, and think the time is right to buy. Pretty big assumptions.

A German channel did a comparison M3 LR vs Tycoon Turbo - and the Taycan has similar range (-6%) tested at 90+ mph, which is normal cruising speed at Autobahn Germany. And also Charging Speed in Kilometers is faster if charged to 80%, but even to 50% on V2 Superchargers Taycan I faster. I am a Tesla Fanboy but Taycan seems to be legit, I compare Taycan to Model S and it's a shame, Model S is sooooo sloooow charging it's not even fair!

That's well and good for Germans, but the majority of drivers do not average over 90 MPH. Here on the East coast I tend to average 60 MPH or less, which matches the EPA ratings pretty well. My $37,000 SR+ goes farther than the Porsche at that speed, and because it has a battery of half the size, it can also charge faster than the Taycan with a peak of 170 kW.

The title is a bit exaggerated and biased, but not really surprising. A better description would be something like "Tesla patents submits a patent application for a new aluminum alloy composition with tailored properties for die-cast electric motor components".

Basically, the materials guys at Tesla played with different Al alloys chemistries (starting from certain principles, but semi-empirically) in an attempt to get the desired combo of properties, as described in the patent application:

"...the present invention relates to aluminium alloys with high strength, enhanced conductivity, and improved castability for high-performance applications including automobile parts."

They found that alloying a commercially-pure Al alloy with about 4-6 wt.% Ni gave them improved strength but retained high conductivity and also improved the castability of the material. Seems they're aiming for cast parts as opposed to wrought, whatever the reason might be -> later edit: from the patent application: "...because it is desired to form these electric vehicle parts through a casting process, wrought alloys cannot be used. Rather, it is desirable to form the parts through a casting process, such that the parts may be cast quickly and reliably..."

Further quotes: "... the alloy is cast into a product... the product is a portion of an electric motor... the portion of the electric motor is a rotor..."

By the way, before everyone gets super-excited by this: this patent application is just so that Tesla can claim ownership of this particular alloy that they developed, which has a certain set of improved properties compared to existing alloys, but it doesn't mean it's going into production. Their R&D department is probably trying many different things, and this is one possible solution to an engineering optimisation problem, but not necessarily the only one or the best (most convenient, lowest-cost, best-performance etc.) one.

Personally, I also wish people would stop expecting Tesla to start producing that full-frame one-cast-part chassis, as that's highly unlikely.

Last edited:
They are aiming for high-pressure (vacuum) molding, which has numerous advantages in terms of production volume, production cost and material strength.

I agree with the production volume and cost considerations, but the strength of a cast part will not be higher than that of a wrought part, which is what I was comparing it to.

The title is a bit exaggerated and biased, but not really surprising. A better description would be something like "Tesla patents new Al alloy composition with tailored properties for die-cast electric motor components".

Your suggested title is misleading. "Tesla patents..." isn't true because Electrek referred to a published patent application, not a granted patent. Two distinct and different things.