Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At yesterday's close of $767.29 a share: 3.05 million shares with adder. Shorts have created over 5 times that amount ;). Driving them out will reduce the total shares in play.

• Build a plant for Semi
  • Get a fleet of Tesla Semis
  • Build more cell manufacturing capacity
  • Deploy more solar
  • Deploy more V3 Superchargers
  • Tool up Roadster and tuck it in somewhere
  • Build a design center in China
  • Build a plant for Cybertruck (it is friendly, could share with Semi and Roadster)
  • Build a foundary in Michigan to make 30x (joint venture with SpaceX)
  • Open more service centers
  • Buy LEAP calls
  • Make Fancy Ketchup
Sooner

Now I want to buy more shares. But I'm all in! :(

Can anyone give me pointers on best strategies when collecting empty bottles?
OT sorta
Get your children to invest....
“...all right dad, I bought a share and It’s down $20....”
So the family owns another share which the daughters will inherit most of anyway

Most manipulative news headline of the day award goes to StreetInsider:

upload_2020-2-13_14-30-9.png

Firstly, Tesla is offering $2.3b, but who's counting?

Secondly, here's the price reaction:

upload_2020-2-13_14-30-56.png

TSLA stood at $738 when the capital raise news broke - that big red candle down on high volume.

Even at the deepest point it was $712, or -3.5% down, but is currently at $736, i.e. 0.3% down. The only way you can see a 5%+ drop is if you compare to the yesterday's closing price (but that wasn't the price when this news announced), and made the claim in those few milliseconds when TSLA was at $712. The timestamp of the article (7:53) TSLA was already back to $730.

I expect StreetInsider to correct their factually incorrect headline in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ... :D

Good decision to raise capital.

Currently unrestricted cash is $6.3bn and undrawn credit lines $3bn for total $9.3bn liqudity.
This raise will take them to $11.5bn liqudity.

Gives them a lot of ammunition for accelerating capex if possible, taking cell production in-house and potential M&A (Ideally Panasonic GF1, Nickel & Lithium producers), as well as a huge buffer for any potential recession.

It would also be sensible to raise ~$2bn from bonds at extremely low interest rates.
With the 10k out we should see multi level rating agency upgrades in the next week.

Most manipulative news headline of the day award goes to StreetInsider:

Firstly, Tesla is offering $2.3b, but who's counting?

Secondly, here's the price reaction:

TSLA stood at $738 when the capital raise news broke - that big red candle down on high volume.

Even at the deepest point it was $712, or -3.5% down, but is currently at $736, i.e. 0.3% down. The only way you can see a 5%+ drop is if you compare to the yesterday's closing price (but that wasn't the price when this news announced), and made the claim in those few milliseconds when TSLA was at $712. The timestamp of the article (7:53) TSLA was already back to $730.

I expect StreetInsider to correct their factually incorrect headline in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ... :D

Let’s be honest. I’m sure this had already been leaked but was only released by the media 30 mins ago.

Reactions: Thumper and Yuri_G
Compared to the timing of the last raise this is pure brilliance. Don’t know why anyone would complain.

It could well be that Musk was truthful about not being able to use the cash faster than Tesla has been. But for a company the size of Tesla now with the operations it has a potential economic downturn would require a much larger cash buffer than they have. This is a great step towards making sure that Tesla is insulated from the buffeting of the macro economic winds. Alternatively, it could well be that they have some plans in store for which they do require even more cash.

Either way, my gutted calls aside (funny yesterday I bought puts because my gut was telling something was up and we needed to go down before we could go up. Of course, my heart made me reverse the position. Sigh. Yet another reason not to trade stocks you are emotionally vested in), I am 100% on board with this move.

Now let’s get this fleet electrified!

Wall Street: You should raise cash. Why won’t you raise cash?

Tesla: *raises cash*

Also Wall Street: SELL

Perhaps more of a dip due to elon credibility than the actual cash raise. He spent a good 5 minutes talking about not raising cash and even got irritated at the analysis for suggesting the idea.

At yesterday's close of $767.29 a share: 3.05 million shares with adder. Shorts have created over 5 times that amount ;). Driving them out will reduce the total shares in play.

• Build a plant for Semi
  • Get a fleet of Tesla Semis
  • Build more cell manufacturing capacity
  • Deploy more solar
  • Deploy more V3 Superchargers
  • Tool up Roadster and tuck it in somewhere
  • Build a design center in China
  • Build a plant for Cybertruck (it is friendly, could share with Semi and Roadster)
  • Build a foundary in Michigan to make 30x (joint venture with SpaceX)
  • Open more service centers
  • Buy LEAP calls
  • Make Fancy Ketchup
Sooner

I'm happy to see this move by Tesla, I think the #1 priority should be to build battery manufacturing capacity. A large part of Tesla's plan depends on increasing that supply. A few billion dollars make a big difference here.