Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thinking through the areas that Tesla has a strong advantage in terms of experience and engineering talent, I remember that EM stated at one point a few years ago that Tesla makes the world's best inverters. Witnessing the drive-train efficiency advantage that Tesla has in practice seems to indicate that they may indeed make a very efficient inverter.

Current practice for Tesla Solar seems to be that they are using readily available commercial solar PV inverters. For now, it seems to have made sense to continue that trend. In the spirit of vertical integration, and as the solar sales and Solar Roof installations scale, it may make sense to:

1. Integrate a solar inverter into the Powerwall
2. Design and produce a solar PV inverter for Solar Roof
3. Design and produce integrated panel/microinverter PV modules

or some combination of the above.

I've not heard much discussion on this and only see some fairly old articles exploring the possibilities. What does the hivemind here think?

Devils advocate, assume you are right.

Where do the CPU, the software, the sensor-suite, the non-skateboard-CPU-interacting components fit into this scenario? Buying the skateboard is buying just a fifth (say) of the Tesla integrated package.

Without at least the CPU and the software, you still don’t get Tesla efficiency. To get Tesla range you now need to match mass and drag, good luck. Now that you have the CPU, you want non-skateboard components that talk to it - who will supply those at scale? Do Tesla supply software source code or compiled only. The former is a security risk, the latter makes Tesla responsible for updates - both unattractive.

Splitting out the skateboard not so simple as it seems, imho.
Moreover Tesla has recently become the best and cheapest car body maker as well, so legacy makers would have no chance even with the skate board. It would probably make sense to sell skateboard for special purpose vehicles only.

Reactions: kbM3
It's what happens when IV goes way up which invites all the gamblers in. I might not know what I am saying but I guess as IV decreases and the option contracts decreases, MM may give less sh!t at where the stock closes Friday night.
Does anyone know where I can find historical Friday Max Pain data? I'd like to plot it against the historical Friday closing prices and see how closely they correlate for the past few years, just feels like Max Pain has had an outsized influence safe for the times when the share prices runs up/down due to news or earnings.

p.s. Would be happy to share with the community once I do that!

So who won?
Everybody’s a winner!

Susquehanna each week gets to fleece the overly optimistic and greedy buyers of far OTM short term calls.

The media gets more clickbait on the gyrations of TSLA SP.

Tesla gets $2.3 billion at a lofty valuation.

Senior managers at the SEC issue a few more subpoenas, and head off to their weekend homes on Virginia Beach, confident they are regulating the market.

And us longs? At the end of each week, the SP is about $40 higher than at the end of the previous week. I’ll take that porridge, thank you sir. Can I have more, please?

Btw., "RT" is a Russian outlet, and this report is trying to inflame public opinion by not mentioning key facts, such as that Tesla is planting 3x as many trees, or the wildfire risk of these dense, monoculture pine forests.

The Russian anti-EV disinformation campaign is in full swing in Germany too.

While I cannot disagree, in this case the Russian and the majority of Germany's interests are aligned - and as such this report could in my opinion also have come from a German outlet.

On that note, while TMC often ridicule journalists here is an RT one who showed some real loyalty to her trade:

Realized it right after posting. True point that RT has a really bad history by the way also at the US election in 2016. Usually I don't read or listen to them at all.

Being German and watching and listen twice I could not find them manipulating me but maybe they are just smarter than me...

They were doing two things here:
  • One-sided presentation, they intentionally omitted the following key facts:
    • That Tesla is planting 3x the area in new forests,
    • that the tree plantation posed a significant wildfire risk, just in 2018 there were catastrophic wildfires affecting Brandenburg, in similar monoculture pine forests:
      • „Nie sowas gesehen“: So kämpfen die Menschen gegen das Feuer
      • Nie-sowas-gesehen-So-kaempfen-die-Menschen-gegen-das-Feuer_mobile_default_2_1@2x.jpg
    • That there's a state policy in Brandenburg that requires pine forests to be replaced with more natural, mixed forests
  • In Germany the cutting down of trees is inflammatory - and the report went to great lengths showing it all from all angles.
Just read the YouTube comments: they are all enraged ... at Tesla. Mission accomplished. ;)

Btw., another less known area of influence where the Russians are operating is through the German far-right Afd, which, as it happens, is also virulently anti-EV and some of their members already demonstrated against Giga Berlin.

RT's German language programming in particular is often regurgitating Afd talking points, trying to fake the role of "independent" media free of the leftist and liberal influence that all of the German media is supposedly controlled by. It's not NRA-TV style pure agitprop that is easy to identify, it's a highly efficient operation masked as professional reporting, which poisons 95% accurate reporting with 5% disinformation that does the real intended damage. Fox News on steroids.

I.e. they are using subtle and sometimes not so subtle "divide and conquer" tactics - a bit like how the Russians helped amplify the Leave campaign in the UK, which helped Boris Johnson hand a great victory to Mother Russia. :D

Last edited:
When I was new to stock trading I researched a bit and I read that pre and after-market were "mechanisms to allow for an orderly opening of main trading hours", i.e. to set the price at the bell, essentially. But I totally agree with the sentiment, it's granting privileged trading to a minority, who often use the lower volume to try and influence sentiment in their favour.
It's almost like the money class sets all the rules in order to block out competition. Hmmm.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Assessing the Q1 Inventory Build:

As we know, Q4 benefited from an exceptional inventory reduction. Much of this comes from shipping cars that were built in the previous quarter (inventory), something not possible in Q1 due to Q1 delivering straight out of the factory up to the final day of Q4.

upload_2020-2-14_20-42-44.png

Morning Cara left today, and we see above that there seems to be little change overall in the rate of RO-RO shipping - a roughly 10 day lag.

On top of RO-RO ships, there's also cars shipped to smaller markets via containers. Container shipping seems to be going quite apace this quarter, and I expect it to be similar to or higher than Q4; indeed, I'd expect an increasing fraction of total shipping to be expected to be container shipping over time, as Tesla continues adding smaller, disjoint markets to its delivery lists.

Additionally, we have to consider the possibility of some degree of US inventory rebuild at the start of the quarter. A number of orders from Q4 were unable to be delivered in time, and many stores were depleted of show and test-drive inventory. You'll note a rather significant lag between the first and second ships of the year, which could be indicative of this.

Lastly, we have to estimate production rates. Existing production trends (all vehicles combined):
  • Q1: 77,1k (5,9k/wk)
  • Q2: 87,0k (6,7k/wk)
  • Q3: 96,2k (7,4k/wk)
  • Q4: 104,9k (8,1k/wk)
For the purposes of an apples-to-apples comparisons, we can discount Model Y for now and look simply at what sort of production rates we can expect in Q1. One may theorize seasonal weakness of S/X, noting that Q4 was still down from Q4 of last year - or theorize production constraints because they've since been switched to a unified body line, and in observation that S/X wait times have been just as great as M3 wait times lately. One may assume that Model 3 production capacity has completely maxed out, or assume that they could continue with significant growth.

As a median case, I'll assume production of 111,8k (8,6k/wk) at Fremont, exclusive of MY.

We have a 10-day lag for this quarter, caused by a mix of a lack of pre-built overseas inventory, and the possible need for a domestic rebuild. We should also account for any difference between container-shipping rates and RO-RO rates; I'll assume that this offsets the number by about 10%, so in determining the inventory build we need to account for the equivalent of 9 days of production. At 8,6k/wk production, we end up with an inventory build of 11k as a result of the differences between the start of Q4 and the start of Q1.

There can also be an inventory change as a result in differences at the end of the quarter. This is impossible to realistically assess yet. I will simply note that Q4 did an exceptional job of running down available inventory at the end of the quarter (see, for example, the EU-EVs charts of start-of-quarter deliveries and note how low Q1 is), and I'd add a couple thousand vehicles to the total inventory build. Say, an extra 2k, to 13k.

Putting this together with the production rate, we end up with Fremont deliveries of 98,800, exclusive of Model Y.

Another Approach: Comparing Actual Inventory Changes

A much simpler approach can be to simply look at: how much did deliveries actually exceed production last quarter? Turning to the Q4 deliveries report:

Total 104,891 112,000

This yields a net difference of 7,1k. If Q1 were to roughly undo this specific change, this would yield deliveries of 104,7k.

There's a fairly large disparity between these two numbers. Going with an average between the two, we get an estimated deliveries from Fremont (excluding Model Y) of 101,8k.

Assessing Shanghai Production And Deliveries

As was seen from the January production numbers...

EQjz5wtU8AAVdLL

Tesla produced 2625 cars at GF3 from 1 Jan to the Lunar New Year shutdown on 25 Jan, or a sustained average of ~800 per week. Normally one would expect a significant scaleup over the course of a quarter. However, whole production resumed on 10 Feb, but is lagged by quarantines of non-local workers (up to 14 days) and probably supplier limits as well. I will assume that production will average 500/wk for the two weeks after reopening in February, then 1000 for the final week, for a total of 2k cars for February. If we assume March averages, say, a 1,5k/wk, that's 6,6k for the month. Total for Q1 would thus be 11,2k.

This is production, not deliveries. I will assume that China will not see a net inventory change, and thus production will approximately equal deliveries.

Putting It Together

Fremont deliveries, exclusive of MY: 101,8k
Giga Shanghai deliveries: 11,2k
Model Y deliveries: 4k (completely random guess)
Total deliveries: 117k
Difference vs. Q4 (112k): +5k.

There's huge error bars on this, of course; take it with a massive grain of salt.

I read cap raise as
1. Battery tech is getting close to ready and they're willing to throw down some $$ to build up capacity faster then originally planned
2. Q1 is shaping up pretty poor so now is the time to do it

#2 might or might not be there, could simply be that current price is attractive enough to do it. But personally I'm keeping a bit of dry powder to catch any Q1 shenanigans to then capitalize on the investor day etc.

My hunch is that Tesla is raising the money to build a skateboard factory and will announce a deal at battery investor day. I don't see how other automakers can compete by building their own skateboard. They will instead buy it and innovate on top of it. Currently no one cares about the skateboard of existing cars, they care about the brand, looks, and features. That will continue with EVs, with range and performance being new variables. If you can buy a skateboard and get close to Tesla's range and perf, why spend billions to develop one?

To me, the parallels to EVs and the computer industry are too close to ignore.

This reminds me of a rumor posted a year ago by venerable member (who rated your post) that Tesla was going to provide the drivetrain for a pickup from one of the U.S big 3.

Ahem, whatever happened to that?

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor