Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@GFernandes, it would help if you read this thread before announcing that you are “sorry to bring the bad news.”
This topic has been discussed here for most of the last day.
It would also be helpful if you would say why this Bloomberg article is a better news source than the others which have previously been cited in this thread, primary sources direct from Germany.
Otherwise, have to say, your post smells really FUDdy, and makes you seem like a fuddy-duddy.
I thought the post was done as a joke.

Seems
A few days ago they cleared a lower court ruling on construction in the forest. Today a higher court of appeals is declaring them to stop immediately. They are stuck in a judicial nightmare.

It seems to me that those closer to the situation have expressed a more measured view.

Does anyone foresee any other permit (other than for clearing out cardboard forest) issues for Giga Berlin like building permits, roads etc etc. ? Would be best if Tesla/Authorities work it out in advance. ...
Well there's a precedent in Brandenburg. GF4 probably won't be quite that bad.

Yes, I do find it interesting that we hate when people or so called short sellers bash Tesla but we are Ok to bash Porsche EV’s or any other EV that is not Tesla.

What I saw here was not "Porsche bashing" but rather some people pushing back against what appears to be a glossing over of the facts. People trying to re-write what efficiency standards represent.

Driving 100 mph for most of your driving is such a limited use case scenario that, when it's held up as a reason why Taycan efficiency is almost as good as Tesla efficiency, it's just laughable. It's not about bashing Porsche, it's about keeping it real.

IMO, the sole purpose behind the Taycan is to desperately hang on to Porsche loyalists who would jump ship to Tesla otherwise. Under the mantra that it’s [insert number here] times more difficult to get a new customer than keep an existing customer, Porsche is just trying to hang on to their current customer base. My friends, currently in European luxury autos, are all considering moving to Tesla. Of course, I may have had a little bit to do with that. Just a little...

Does anyone foresee any other permit (other than for clearing out cardboard forest) issues for Giga Berlin like building permits, roads etc etc. ? Would be best if Tesla/Authorities work it out in advance. ...

Tesla worked together with the team of the Brandenburg Government in detail through all potential issues to avoid any risk that could stop works. However as we are a democracy the Government does not rule courts for good reasons therefore citizens have the right to sue if justified and file objections if a sentence is going against their point of view. Sometimes I feel courts decide a bit out of balance as the trees are actually a plantation and what facts are created if they are cut down while they would have anyway one day.

I was thinking through what other issues could come up but don't find many. The water supply did concern me but the official approval has been given for the first phase therefore no one can ask the court to stop it as its official.

As they have not found any protected endangered species that issue is also off the table.

If they find something special in the ground be it contamination which requires complicated clearance that could cause delay but they did make earth test a few meter deep already to check that and nothing has been found. Another issue that would be a major blow is if they find anything that is of historic and archeological interest. That you never know but would be a strange coincidence.

Seems

It seems to me that those closer to the situation have expressed a more measured view.

Indeed. I actually don't have much of an issue with the court's logic. They stated both that doing nothing would create a fait accompli situation, since the clearing was happening so fast - but also acknowledged that there are time limits on the clearing, so there shouldn't be undue delays. That's perfectly reasonable logic, and so long as they stick to it, I have no problem.

(The court also sounded pessimistic on the possibility of the appeal being upheld, only supporting the injunction to prevent said fait accompli)

Yeah, the Porche is better for those who want to impress how much wealth they have or how sophisticated they must be. We will see how long that business model works.

When Tesla gets to the point it can make more cars than it can sell, and the hold-outs are rich people who want to impress, Tesla can always cater to them by coming out with a "techno-peacock" trim level for $60K more. It will have numerous useless dials, colored glowing lights and buttons that all operate with silky smooth rotation or satisfying "clicks". As the commander of the vehicle gets everything set just right, the various lights will glow to indicate "all systems are go". At that point, the commander will push the "start" button and the ride will begin. The commander and his/her guests can gently stroke the luxurious materials during the ride to increase their sensory satisfaction. It will easily be worth the extra $60K considering all the "old school" automakers are out of business and, as a bonus, the extra profit will be welcomed by Tesla investors.

Ordinary people will just get in more pedestrian trim levels and tell the car where they want to go.:rolleyes:
By then it probably won't be legal for people to drive. They'd be better off selling cars with recliners.

75407-DETAIL-A

This is a link to the news article, in German, that describes the court decisions. A Google translation of the 2 most relevant sentences is "The background is that two nature conservation associations want to stop the clearing on the site of the planned factory. In a first attempt, the “Green League” Brandenburg and the “Association for Landscape Management and Species Protection in Bavaria” (VLAB) failed on Friday with their urgent applications to the Administrative Court in Frankfurt (Oder). In contrast, the “Green League” appealed to the Higher Administrative Court (OVG) Berlin-Brandenburg - with success."

Agree. Hosting and accelerating construction of a Tesla Giga should be viewed as proof of a nation's credentials in the battle against climate change. If the bureaucracy allows delay after delay it should be viewed as complicit in big oil/big auto's crimes.
Yeah, the (previously unknown) 'Environmental NGO' that placed the lawsuit is based in Bavaria (while suing to protect a forest tree-farm in Brandenburg, on a Friday night... it don't take many matches to lite that candle. :rolleyes:

Did I mention that BMW had previously received approval to build an auto plant on that land, but cancelled those plans in favor of a site in Eastern Europe, doubtless with cheaper labor/fewer environmental laws?

have noticed a shift in CNBCs portrait of EV/Tesla lately, slowly

Wow! That was like one big misinformation piece that started out by mentioning that the theory of the "Tesla killers" has so far not been proven. Then the entire 3/4 of the rest of the video was one giant ad for all the awesome EV's coming out in the near future from storied brands that really know how to make great cars. The message was, "If you think you might want an EV now, don't buy a Tesla, you about to get offered a whole bunch of more exciting EV's". Any day now. They will be really great while Tesla's are mostly doing well for "cult-like" reasons and government incentives.

My favorite part was the side view shot of a brand new Dodge Ram truck that already had a big ugly impact crease in the body panel right behind the headlight. Because this clip appeared immediately following the almost dent-proof Cybertruck (a feature they failed to highlight or even mention). The fact that they showed a dented Dodge was simply an oversight due to it being in the footage they had at their disposal. So I'll give them credit for accidentally highlighting how fragile and crappy the Dodge is compared to the ultra-tough Cybertruck and it's nearly undentable body. But it was basically one big "don't buy a Tesla now" commercial. Very slickly done (minus the dented Dodge).

You know I bet there were people who asked about early adopters of Tesla's and that was prior to super chargers and a reliable power train. Roadster was not exactly cheap.

I think the point is that the experience with road tripping the Taycan is where Tesla was maybe 5 years ago. The other auto makers and charging networks have a long way to go to catch up with where Tesla is now.....and by then Tesla will have moved on a lot from where they are now.

MODERATOR:

There was ONE nigh-instantaneous response and appropriate answer to an unfortunately-timed post.

That a pile-on donnybrook resulted was itself risible in that effectively ALL such posts repeated the existential error of the first one.

Pretty sorry showing of yourselves.

• Informative
Reactions: SpaceCash
I can't say I've seen a lot of Porsche cars (vs. SUVs) on long highway drives (though there are plenty "around town"), so I'm not sure this is different from the non-EV Porsche world.

I typically see Porsche's and other upscale sports cars on long weekend drives in the countryside. They like the open rural roads we have here in the American West and covering a lot of ground. The Taycan doesn't work at all in that use case scenario.

Then there are the ones that park in front of the financial centers in big cities. This probably represents most sales of this kind of car. Small fry trying to emulate Wall Steet traders and players. This is the Taycan's true calling. Dick swinging at it's finest. :rolleyes:

Not bashing, just calling it how I see most of them actually being used. Their high price is not a deterrent, but a feature for those looking to get laid or to impress. Not that it's very effective but most of what this kind of person does is not very effective anyway.:(

MODERATOR:

There was ONE nigh-instantaneous response and appropriate answer to an unfortunately-timed post.

That a pile-on donnybrook resulted was itself risible in that effectively ALL such posts repeated the existential error of the first one.

Pretty sorry showing of yourselves.

Can we please add a rating button for “Outstanding Vocabulary”?