Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Relatively, you're kinda new here :eek: <3 (and quite welcome, tbh I would've done much better if I was on MSFT too then came over when you did)

Well, I'm only relatively new to participating in this forum. I have been closely following TSLA since the IPO. I almost invested, I loved the idea of electric cars but I have done well as an investor by not investing until I can see obvious success. TSLA was simply too risky for me all those years until I started nibbling in the $200's and loaded the boat at $184.

Was I wrong for not getting in on the IPO (or buying on that first crazy trading day)? I wanted to. I would have made even more money so yes. On the other hand, TSLA didn't hit my investment criteria until recently.

If I made a mistake it was not fully understanding how tenacious and effective that man they call Elon Musk really is. But I can give myself a break because he really only fully cemented his reputation by landing rockets on drone ships and launching a mass-production car. But had I known him better, in a more nuanced way, I might have invested sooner. Of course, that four years of relatively flat trading pre-2019 would have been painful. And I couldn't pull the trigger through it all (until very recently).

There's No Doubt Anymore: Buffett Thinks Stocks Are Grossly Overvalued | The Motley Fool
Haha - Buffett has no idea what to with his cash - now $128Bn.

Turns out he will end up owning TSLA soon - he has started investing in S&P500!

If you can't beat them, join them. By buying ETFs, he has answered his own question. Shares are overvalued because of ETFs. They can happily stay overvalued in this new paradigm. Clearly, doing anything other than investing in ETFs is too much hassle for people these days.

Last edited:
I'm going to sell a fraction of the shares I bought for about 190 last May to get a new Model S. Thanks TSLA! I don't think I would have bought those shares if not for the collective wisdom of this forum. Thank you!
If you are indeed in California, then those shares from May are short term gains. So you'll end up with 45-50% in taxes. At TSLA $880, selling off 100 shares gets you $88,000. Profit is $69,000. In California, barring offsetting capital losses, that's about $34,000 in taxes. So $54,000 to spend on your Model S.

Total cost with tax of a Model S is about $90,000 (more if you go Performance or get FSD). Looks like it will take about 170 shares if these rough estimates are right. Which cost you $32,300 back in May. Nice!

Especially nice if that's only a *small* fraction of the shares you bought in May!

Hi everybody! Long time listener first time caller.

Fun fact: today Tesla exceeded Microsoft's 5 year growth. Next up, Amazon.

Not bad.

Here's another fact. If you bought Tesla for 193 in 2013 or 250 in 2014 you are 'only' up somewhere around 28% per year. That's certainly not bad but it's not spectacular the way the markets been. The price was stuck for so long. I'm almost happy I didn't have some money to invest until 12-18 months ago.

I looked those numbers up a few days ago. Might not be exactly correct based of memory.

Tesla is in a much different place today than 5 years ago. What kind of offer from Brazil would it take to get Elon’s attention? Maybe a $5 billion dollar interest free loan?
true, but there are any number of governments that will attempt to sweet talk Tesla. We should remain cautious in interpreting the postings of a Tesla fan site.

Don't bet on that happening. Tesla is most likely going to keep cash and pay the bond in shares. Cash is king in a growing company. Indeed one of the most odd things Tesla did was to repay the government $550M loan. I know why he did it (PR move), but it was still atypical for a growth company.
No, it wasn't just a PR move, or even mostly a PR move. The loan came with all sorts of restrictions and reporting requirements, and Tesla felt that it was better to get out from under. I've been in that situation with (Australian) government money, and we wished we'd never taken it.

That's basically what I laid out earlier today in this thread. There should be room for a standard range LiFePO4 pack, providing greater cycle life and faster charge/regen rates. They couldn't do a long range pack with that chemistry, unless there is some unannounced density advance.

That's their NMC/NCM chemistry not LiFePO4.

I wonder if Maxwell tech can do anything to improve the energy density of LiFePO4.

I'm thinking LiFePO4. is probably for Powerwalls in China, but may be also used for SR.

Maxwell might come into the picture if they wanted to try something similar in the US....

Reactions: JRP3
Just thinking ahead - does this seem reasonable on when to start divesting?:

< S&P inclusion + 1 month = 100% TSLA LEAPs (ideally atm but difficult to keep up)
< $500Bn market value or P/E ratio of < 50 = 90% TSLA itm LEAPs
P/E ratio of < 150 = 33% itm TSLA LEAPs, 33% TSLA shares, 33% non TSLA shares / cash
P/E ratio of < 300 = 50% TSLA shares, 50% non TSLA shares / cash
P/E ratio of > 300 = 25% TSLA shares, 75% non TSLA shares / cash (accredited investor exploration)

Each condition has to be met before moving to the next. This is of course high risk.

Have you ever heard of a new short position? Most shorts didn't lose 100% of their assets and I'm sure some of them tried to recoup their losses by...shorting Tesla at a higher price!
They're gonna fight it out, they're boxer shorts!

Last edited: