Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CD046F88-37B3-41E3-A8A4-BC3C89DA36DF.jpeg

I know it's not true but I like to imagine a whiteboard somewhere in Manhattan with the phrase "Tesla - $920" written on it and circled with today's date.

Stock splits are out of fashion. It used to be you had to trade in lots of 100 shares. Then online meant you could trade single shares. Then DRIPs (Dividend ReInvestment Programs) meant that you might end up with fractional shares. Now many brokers will allow you to actually trade in fractional shares, as opposed to just selling out the ones that came from DRIPs or acquisitions or whatever.

Just tried it on ETrade:
View attachment 512883
I wouldn't mind it just to make options more affordable. Plus not every retail investor has access to fractional shares. Let's be honest too, people aren't always rational. Hearing that Tesla is 1k sounds scarier than 500, regardless if the market cap is the same.

Amazon stock would be over $17k today if it had never split.

I was recruited from the UK in 1999 by the national telecom operator, Belgacom. This was after breaking my leg in 5 places playing football (that's "soccer", yanks) and losing my freelance contract at that time, hence searching for a new job, of which there weren't many due to the pending apocalypse of Y2K. Belgium came up and it was too good an opportunity not to take it.

Can't say "moving to Belgium" was on my bucket-list though, but come for the work, stay for the beer, eh?

Being Belgian myself, I was curious about your motives ;) They sound quite reasonable :D

Any reason why Cybertruck couldn't have room for an extra battery pack add on at a later date? This gets more EVs in circulation because of the lower price point, and eases overall battery demand. Then we'd get to add on power using lower-cost batteries... as they become more available. Not talking about pack-changing for the road, instead it would be an upgrade. Like have the base pack permanent, then add at will like a giant memory stick. Maybe too costly with all the cables and contacts, but hmmm.
There was discussion about this for the S in the early days. Never happened. I doubt this would happen on the Cybertruck either. It's far more remunerative to use scarce batteries for new vehicles.

Stock splits are out of fashion. It used to be you had to trade in lots of 100 shares. Then online meant you could trade single shares. Then DRIPs (Dividend ReInvestment Programs) meant that you might end up with fractional shares. Now many brokers will allow you to actually trade in fractional shares, as opposed to just selling out the ones that came from DRIPs or acquisitions or whatever.
[/ATTACH]
And nowadays buy and sell are commission free. So, the psychological effect of cost per share is no longer there

Traditional approach:
Cost of customer acquisition (for roof)
Roof material
Labor for roof installation
Cost of customer acquisition (for solar panels)
Solar panels
Labor for panel installation

Tesla's approach:
Roof material
Installation

Tesla's approach will be very competitive once it gets to large scale.

Looking nice is just added benefit.
Looking nice allows them to be installed in places that value looks only (e.g. HOAs).

Right. Because human drivers use smell, sound and touch to determine appropriate speeds! Sight alone just won't work. :rolleyes:
oh... it's rumored the transit drivers here drive by Braille :(

I found this tab still open on my phone and re-read it just now. As relevant as ever with an ATH close - The Art of (Not) Selling - Akre Capital Management credit to @StealthP3D for posting this a while back (pretty sure)

Breaking the upper BB pretty hard. :eek: do they not have any malicious illegal shorts or what!?!?

There was discussion about this for the S in the early days. Never happened. I doubt this would happen on the Cybertruck either. It's far more remunerative to use scarce batteries for new vehicles.
Something like an Extended Range towing package might not be too crazy with the CT. Add a battery pack to the bed area and turn it into a pure towing vehicle. That would get it to the point where it could really compete with larger diesels for heavy towing.

Dude...NOW you're speaking my language! Nothing like WWII era big band!

Dan
Long ago I played ’bone in a jazz band. It was always amusing to watch the trumpet players turn red and nearly burst blood vessels at the finale of In the Mood (while we just blasted out that low note).

Certainly not here. But other TSLA investing forums (fora?) across the internets are littered with annoying, very weak hands. :rolleyes:

People tend to be very short-sighted.

You don't want to have weak hands with a true Gorilla like Tesla. A lot of growth that is begging to be captured is still left. The masses of people who washed ashore at $420, $550 and $750 can tell you how bad it feels to lose your grip. It will feel worse when TSLA is trading at $4000 or even $10,000. Woulda, shoulda, coulda.

What people need to harness this growth is an amazing new product from Investor's Edge called GorillaGrip(tm). It costs nothing, takes no time out of your day and it has a long track record of minting millionaires. GorillaGrip(tm) is found wherever people have patience, conviction and growing brokerage accounts. Get yours today and see how it can help ensure your financial future.

;)