Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I'm pretty certain a Cybertruck will definitely provide an education! Don't know if the IRS will see it that way though...
I actually think the Cyber should qualify as a medical exemption from taxes for the elderly (me). And I am serious there. So do not think I am being "funny."
I know my reaction time is average at best, as well as my ability to take in information. And here is how I watch TV with the wife on Netflix. I turn on a show, and the wife tells me if I have seen it before in 5 seconds. It takes me half the show to go, "Wait, Have I seen this before?"
So giving a tax exemption to my demographic saves lives.

Keep in mind HW3 and a lot of other hardware components and still made in the US, especially a lot of the hardware that is the brains of the car that other companies will find hard to replicate..

It is also likely that the first thing a new car does when coming on line is, connect to Telsa using a unique Hardware ID and download the latest software... Tesla can probably easily identify cars they haven't made... and stop them driving... they can include security to stop car software being copied...

So the Chinese copier now needs to implement their on OTA updates for find a way to get a version of software running in the cars...

IMO Tesla will keep the latest and most hi-tech components in house and made in the US.....

The Roadster, Model S and Model X will not be made in China,,,, Tesla keeps innovating...

I'm sure the Chinese will steal or acquire some knowledge, designs and ideas, but how far that goes beyond what they could get from a tear down is debatable..

IMO the Chinese government wants Tesla in China for 2 reasons:-
  1. Help the Chinese reduce/eliminate oil imports...
  2. Improve Chinese EVs by exposing them to quality competition and new thinking.....
China needs Tesla for at least 10 years, annoy Tesla and they go home.....

How it will play out 20 years down the track is hard to guess, China might even be a very different place in 20 years... it is certainly changing rapidly..

Forgot to mention. They don't need to copy the fsd. How I think the chinese will proceed is to copy the car body and battery. Then bolt on a computer and a screen. Then sell it a a lower price. There is enough ppl in China for both to exist for a while until ev saturate the markey.

the implication that robinhood is better than etrade, before or after MS takeover?

google barrons best online brokers and use that for researching your move first, at least. moving positions around in a volatile market is a PIA. better to it once, than have to do it twice.

Mostly that I don't like MS and their Fordery ways in regards to Tesla *coughAdamJonascough*. I know Robinhood is more geared towards baby investors like myself. I think the average Tesla holding was like 50 shares or something on that website? I remembered someone posted it, but I couldn't find it in my googling.

Reactions: Boomer19
Mostly that I don't like MS and their Fordery ways in regards to Tesla *coughAdamJonascough*. I know Robinhood is more geared towards baby investors like myself. I think the average Tesla holding was like 50 shares or something on that website? I remembered someone posted it, but I couldn't find it in my googling.

yes mostly small positions by people that don’t care about execution bc of such small trades. they only care that it’s 0 commission.

but many have 0 commission now.

and years ago, that would have suited me too. my trades were small and if i paid ~ .03 more per share it didn’t matter much.

but now it does. even a half penny vig will outweigh any “free” trades i make. total cost is what matters. and if you trade stock and options, you definitely want reasonable execution and commission for both. some are cheap w/ stock, but ding you on options. futures may be a different story in addition to stk/opt.

brokers that self-clear are generally cheapest on commissions. robinhood said they were moving towards self clearing, not sure if they’re there yet. they will find it isn’t cheap or easy to do - i predict this will cause them to give even more unfavorable executions as they realize this and weigh it against PnL.

the barrons thing does a decent job (better than elsewhere) of highlighting the differences/nuances between brokers offerings. this way you decide what is right for you now, and potentially in the future, as you grow as an investor. it’s worth the research

so if you’re like me and your trading activity matures, you’d best pick a broker that can serve you over 5-10 year horizon, not just today.

like i said earlier, acct transfers between brokers can be a PIA. especially when market is sketchy. you can’t trade your positions for 1-3 days (or more at times) during the transfer process. so that introduces market exposure to the transfer
( which may be hedged at the receiving broker, if you’re set up to actively trade in time).

Last edited:
I actually think the Cyber should qualify as a medical exemption from taxes for the elderly (me). And I am serious there. So do not think I am being "funny."
I know my reaction time is average at best, as well as my ability to take in information. And here is how I watch TV with the wife on Netflix. I turn on a show, and the wife tells me if I have seen it before in 5 seconds. It takes me half the show to go, "Wait, Have I seen this before?"
So giving a tax exemption to my demographic saves lives.
Perhaps it’s time to give up the license?

Jæja, krakkar.... ;)

upload_2020-2-20_14-5-8.png

Hmm, now what is that destination on that container ship that's reported to be full of Teslas? ;)

For my own education purposes. I am interested in knowing if anyone on this forum physically met the member?

Another is, is it true that he solicited ppl to invest?

Cause those are redflags for me. Someone not physically verified to be real and u solicited investment in a stock.

I usually guard what I invest in like a secret and only really divulge the stock if it already succeeded.

There was a forum where this guy was promoting GTAT and persuading people to go all-in. I don't think there was any hidden-agenda here, he was just convinced it was a money-making machine. Of course it was not at all, the director had a very dodgy track-record, there was no safety-net from Apple side, and it all fell apart. Many lost everything.

For my part, this was the very first trade I ever did, I came in right at the end, bought $100 worth one evening, then sold it an hour later for $200, then it dropped close to zero. Felt pretty smug about that, It then bought 3 AAPL shares :cool:

Perhaps it’s time to give up the license?
EXACTLY!
But on a serious note. I am being real. My skillz are diminishing. They have for 30 years. And I still test at unbelievably high levels within my age group for EVERYTHING but flexibility. But I feel like I have fallen off the edge of the Earth...
From the time I was born it has been "bad timing" as to how the world changed, like when I was 20 the drinking age became 18. But with autonomous driving!!!!!!!!!! I am a WINNER!
(And I am the World's most frustrated old grumpy driver. I HATE YOU! I know you suck as a driver. I wide-awake dream of autonomous driving as I sit behind another dumbass driver that is going slow in the fast lane so they can use their phone and have enough of a buffer between them and the car in front of them..
Yesterday I was in one of the two left turn lanes. I was about 8 cars back. Thankfully I was in the lane where the lady was not braiding her hair. She was third in her lane. I passed her before she took her foot off the brake... and of course once she started to go the light changed she made it through...the other 10 cars behind didn't.)
Autonomous driving! Please. For my sanity.

Indeed that's a misprint; Feb 19, 2020 should be ranked 5th by Trades but 18th by Volume.

Here's the Top Ten Days sorted by Traded: (my dataset goes back to 05-27-2015)

View attachment 513009

Even this data doesn't precisely capture the underlying variable, which would be better represented by (VWAP * Volume). But again, NASDAQ adjusts the volume numbers after the close of market (some times by up to 100s of 1000s of shares), but strips out the SP info when doing the volume updates, so there is truly no publicly available definitive information on the amount of money that changes hands each day. :(

Thanks for the catch.

Cheers!

Now what’s the difference between the volume and traded metrics?

Looks like the underwriters snapped up all their allotted options immediately rather than sit on them for the month they were given.

I guess they assumed the upside from $917is greater than the possibility SP drops back to $767. Anyone know if there's any holding stipulation to their allotment, or can they just cash in those shares today?

Tesla Raises $2.31 Billion in Its Stock Offering | The Motley Fool