Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long story short:

Lots of blame on cell phone manufacturers, car manufacturers, etc ...instead of the guy sitting in front of the window that could have seen the situation right in front of him. Adults are adults. They should be responsible for their actions. It's a shame society has begun to point fingers at everyone except the one that's truly and solely responsible.
I would aim 95% blame at driver, 5% at failed crash attenuator/faded road markings/fallen over signs cones, 0% at Tesla - they are doing their best to make car safe as fast as possible, and autopilot already much safer. Also 0% at phones. You can also be distracted by using a dildo in a car... just saying.

I would aim 95% blame at driver, 5% at failed crash attenuator/faded road markings/fallen over signs cones, 0% at Tesla - they are doing their best to make car safe as fast as possible, and autopilot already much safer. Also 0% at phones. You can also be distracted by using a dildo in a car... just saying.
Drivers are careless and spend too much time on their phones.

If only there was a promising new technology being pushed by a few companies that would 100% eliminate the problem of distracted drivers. Oh well.

Ban unlocked cell phones in the car, no matter it belongs to the driver or not.

Or:

Cellphones have to be locked in the truck, with batteries taken out and stored separately.

Come on, let’s do it...
First thing to do is ban cell phone use while driving. This is still legal in 20+ states. It’s not really up to Apple to kill the phone while it’s in motion. It’s like telling a gun manufacturer that their gun must go into a safety mode when it detects it’s in a no gun zone.

This specific case they are looking at is cut and dry. Driver wasn’t properly using a driver assistance feature, cell phone use and driving is illegal in California. Had the two technologically sophisticated devices been used properly then the driver would not have had an accident that day. Only reason this is getting the attention it is getting is because short sellers are pushing it to the media.

We are now clued in as to why you chose your name on this forum. o_O:eek::oops:...:D....just saying. That brings back memories to a Beach Boys song. "Good, good, good, good vibrations..."

Last edited:
Hmm, I have the Iphone 11, and to date don't remember ever getting the 'are you driving' alert. It easily unlocks with face ID, whether I am driving or in passenger seat.
Ah, I'd forgotten where the setting was. Its under "Do Not Disturb" and on my phone is set to activate "automatically". Since I now have a car with bluetooth it might make sense to change to "When connected to car bluetooth".

My underlying point is this: Apple (and maybe Google, I don't use Android and don't know) already has the feature. The most serious complaint I could see levied is that it is discretionary not advertised better.

Last edited:
Reactions: saniflash
First thing to do is ban cell phone use while driving. This is still legal in 20+ states. It’s not really up to Apple to kill the phone while it’s in motion. It’s like telling a gun manufacturer that their gun must go into a safety mode when it detects it’s in a no gun zone.

This specific case they are looking at is cut and dry. Driver wasn’t properly using a driver assistance feature, cell phone use and driving is illegal in California. Had the two technologically sophisticated devices been used properly then the driver would not have had an accident that day. Only reason this is getting the attention it is getting is because short sellers are pushing it to the media.

It's not just short-sellers or other usual Teslenemies. On this front, the self-driving companies that are going to be left in the dust due to their data disadvantage are also aligned against Tesla. Their angle is that Tesla's data advantage is unfairly achieved and puts the public at risk.

Holding around 800 while everything else kept dropping is super bullish to me. We could be set up for a perfect storm here in April. If Q1 delivers are alright, Model Y deliveries starting, good news from battery investor day, maybe some more feature release for fsd, progression with solar roof, and they have a vaccine for this virus then I could see this stock go on another epic run.

Last edited:
It's not just short-sellers or other usual Teslenemies. On this front, the self-driving companies that are going to be left in the dust due to their data disadvantage are also aligned against Tesla. Their angle is that Tesla's data advantage is unfairly achieved and puts the public at risk.
Very true. I’m excited for the Tesla team to flip the switch on City driving. We as Tesla drivers need to use it the right way. Down to the handbook. The amount of data and edge cases that will be worked through over the next year will be an advantage that no other player in the autonomous field will have

Has Tesla been waiting for this meeting before deciding when to release Nav on City Streets? Probably not, but it's fun to conjecture.
Does that even matter so much? If Tesla disabled AP across the fleet tomorrow they can still run it in shadow mode and collect data right?

Has Tesla been waiting for this meeting before deciding when to release Nav on City Streets? Probably not, but it's fun to conjecture.

Does that even matter so much? If Tesla disabled AP across the fleet tomorrow they can still run it in shadow mode and collect data right?
They can run data on nearly all Tesla cars. But I’d say that getting knocked by governance is a bad perception for the system and hurts consumer confidence. So while Tesla’s data will be fine, competitors can still deal a blow by making these into headline stories.

Holding around 800 while everything else kept dropping is super bullish to me. We could be set up for a perfect storm here in April. If Q1 delivers are alright, Model Y deliveries starting, good news from battery investor day, maybe some more feature release for fsd, progression with solar roof, and they have a vaccine for this virus then I could see this stock on another epic run.

Elon always have something good for us to look forward to. He is a good man. While i dont know how the share will be traded tomorrow. I think it's best to hodl and buy shares over time... mho

Every single day I see people on the freeway, usually in the left lane, who are obviously looking at their cell phones while driving. Most of the time they're holding up traffic because they are oblivious to people behind them, or refuse to move over because then they have to worry about cars on both sides.

It's an epidemic. Cell service providers and/or phone manufacturers need to implement technology that blocks drivers from using non-driving-related apps on their phones. Maybe allow just navigating apps, podcasts/audiobooks, etc. Passengers will just have to suck it up - most of us grew up without cell phones and somehow we all survived car rides in that era.

Unfortunately this is what it's come to, at least until FSD is completely driver-free.
You are wrong. And Because I am a bad boy I will tell you... First gimme a plea bargain. And second I didn't do it but a couple of times 10 or so years ago when I was getting used to these GD Phones.
I at one time would answer my cellphone while driving. It was from how I was raised. WHEN the phone RANG you ANSWERED it. This was even before message machines.
My error was to answer the phone while driving, and so I would not cause a wreck and still go the speed limit, I would get in the fast lane and go slow (the speed limit). Going only the speed limit would create a large reaction buffer to the cars in front of me. I was aware of the traffic around me. I did it solely to keep from having an accident while talking on the phone. Remember I have a plea deal. And I don't answer the phone most of the time, even when I am not driving.