Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not to jinx anything but overall I think the meeting has been pretty fair and is looking at the entire picture rather than just beating up on Telsa. I suppose over time I've come to fear the worst regarding perceptions of Tesla. I did have a big eye roll when they harped on the "beta" label of AP as indicative that it's being tested on end users. It's not really a beta software by dentition, but all software is pretty much constantly being updated and AP is no different.

I'm sure we will have many more of these types of meetings on the road to full FSD and after even.

with respect to the NTSB and blaming Apple, Tesla, etc. for drivers not paying attention, what I don't get is every time I pull out my phone in my car it won't unlock until I affirm that I am not driving. So, at least with Apple devices, isn't driver responsibility already indicated?

The simple, obvious solution is already in place.

Seriously, what more do they want? Anyone with even half a clue will know that a non-discretionary lockout is a non-starter. Outside of passengers, I sometimes get the "are you driving" alert when I'm sitting at my desk* so the check is already overzealous.

* I can neither confirm nor deny that I may have an overactive nervous twitch in my legs

Her argument actually defended keeping autopilot in place since it reduces accidents, hence making people safer than those without autopilot.

Autopilot can be safer than it currently is, and I believe Tesla is actively working toward making it safer; but that being said there is a really weird amount of what-aboutism going on in this NTSB hearing.

It's almost as if they're discussing airbag safety, and focusing on injuries caused by airbags while ignoring what would have happened to the passengers in their absence. They're talking about "automation complacency," but what about "airbag complacency?" People are driving more dangerously because they know their airbags reduce the chance of injury; we must do away with these dangerous airbags!

with respect to the NTSB and blaming Apple, Tesla, etc. for drivers not paying attention, what I don't get is every time I pull out my phone in my car it won't unlock until I affirm that I am not driving. So, at least with Apple devices, isn't driver responsibility already indicated?

The simple, obvious solution is already in place.

Seriously, what more do they want? Anyone with even half a clue will know that a non-discretionary lockout is a non-starter. Outside of passengers, I sometimes get the "are you driving" alert when I'm sitting at my desk* so the check is already overzealous.

* I can neither confirm nor deny that I may have an overactive nervous twitch in my legs

Hmm, I have the Iphone 11, and to date don't remember ever getting the 'are you driving' alert. It easily unlocks with face ID, whether I am driving or in passenger seat.

Impressive TSLA is holding so well given the market selloff.

The flip side of the story is some force that is attempting to get TSLA to close at least a penny below 800 today. Fortunately, if the macros keep heading higher, shortie will be unable to hold 800 and the stock will rise with rising tide.

I just realized what's really bugging me about this. It's set up like a courtroom, except that nobody is allowed to speak on behalf of the "defendant". It feels like a kangaroo court. Every time they make a ridiculous statement, it automatically goes unchallenged.

agree.

I don't think all actors are making ridiculous statements (and, fwiw, not saying that's what Karen was saying either), but, those acting in good faith as neutral actors in response to the questions are not so likely to make the effort to disentangle the heavily loaded premises of questions and return the discussion back to a balanced one.

hearing is presented as some kind of neutral fact finding approach... just does not seem to be the case.

Wow... that last bit was actually not too bad if you read properly between the lines. So the speaker states the fact that the driver knew the car swerved towards the gore point since the driver reported it multiple times. Still, however, the driver chose to play his phone games while the car drove thru this area.... so basically he just stated the driver was a complete moron and would have died weeks earlier if not for the system keeping him alive in multiple areas while driving on the highway. That sounds more like an argument for MORE autonomous systems not less.

His opinion from my perspective:
Cell phones are addictive.
Cell phone manufacturers are doing nothing to prevent cell phone use.
Humans can not multi-task.
We need more automation to keep people alive.

Where are their stats of how many cell phone related accidents there are per hour on our highways because I will bet you the stats are per hour in this country (and all others)? This would give them perspective on what is safe and unsafe? Without this information there entire hearing is pointless. There is no point of comparison.

Cars with Level 2 driver assist = one death a year? (less?)
Cars without???? hmmm.... mysteriously they seem to be lacking some really important information. Why are none of the commentators asking this very important question?

And yes it should probably be based on miles driven but still no mater how you slice it WE DON"T KNOW because the NTSB has not done their job. They are making recommendations with out information.

That last bit is untrue. AP does have rules to prevent use in inappropriate places.

The take of the media seems to be ok. Seeing "industry and tesla slammed" and "apple slammed" or "guy was playing video games on his phone". CNBC is probably the harshest.

Wow... that last bit was actually not too bad if you read properly between the lines. So the speaker states the fact that the driver knew the car swerved towards the gore point since the driver reported it multiple times. Still, however, the driver chose to play his phone games while the car drove thru this area.... so basically he just stated the driver was a complete moron and would have died weeks earlier if not for the system keeping him alive in multiple areas while driving on the highway. That sounds more like an argument for MORE autonomous systems not less.
IMO he was angling towards the "it makes people complacent which is a problem" line of reasoning with those comments.

Last edited:
Reactions: davecolene0606
Every single day I see people on the freeway, usually in the left lane, who are obviously looking at their cell phones while driving. Most of the time they're holding up traffic because they are oblivious to people behind them, or refuse to move over because then they have to worry about cars on both sides.

It's an epidemic. Cell service providers and/or phone manufacturers need to implement technology that blocks drivers from using non-driving-related apps on their phones. Maybe allow just navigating apps, podcasts/audiobooks, etc. Passengers will just have to suck it up - most of us grew up without cell phones and somehow we all survived car rides in that era.

Unfortunately this is what it's come to, at least until FSD is completely driver-free.

Certainly companies like Tesla/Apple/Samsung could be communicating and integrating far more safety feature beyond what is required at gunpoint. Any iphone detected in a Tesla could shut down features while the car is in motion.

I'm all for Elon pushing the envelope, and perhaps that's the "only way" we can make such rapid progress, but things like this and calling the driver assist "Autopilot(beta)" can easily be avoided.

Machine learning algorithms can definitely tell pretty accurately if a phone is in a moving vehicle. (I have worked on this problem). However the key issue is being able to tell if is the driver using the phone, versus a passenger.

Or to tell if the phone is in a car, vs. a bus/subway/train where of course people would like to be able to use their phones.

You aren't going to get some software ban on phone usage in vehicle until you can very accurately tell it is a car driver and not all the other conditions.