Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven’t been too worried about TSLA because it felt like a bunch of long term investors were buying on the recent run up. There has to be an extreamly high number of shares that won’t sell for some time.

If this had happened one year ago we’d be having a different conversation. It’s likely Tesla wouldn’t have survived a pandemic in the spring of 2019. Sometimes you have to feel like things are meant to be.
Agree ...if this had hit before M3 ramped up...wow talk about the black swan that would be extremely hard to get over.

Yesterday my wife and I went grocery shopping, and other than the 2 of us, only 1 or 2 other people had masks. We got some strange looks too.

The CDC advises wearing a face mask only if sick yourself or caring for someone who is sick. Consider donating the ones you’re using to a hospital instead of using them unnecessarily as you’re doing now.

The CDC advises wearing a face mask only if sick yourself or caring for someone who is sick. Consider donating the ones you’re using to a hospital instead of using them unnecessarily as you’re doing now.
That is certainly one way to keep the virus going as long as possible. Problem is that you can't get hospital grade masks, and donating what's available is not going to help any hospital as they aren't good enough for the kind of close encounters that are at a hospital.

That is certainly one way to keep the virus going as long as possible. Problem is that you can't get hospital grade masks, and donating what's available is not going to help any hospital as they aren't good enough for the kind of close encounters that are at a hospital.

• If you are NOT sick: You do not need to wear a facemask unless you are caring for someone who is sick (and they are not able to wear a facemask). Facemasks may be in short supply and they should be saved for caregivers.

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) – Prevention & Treatment

Similar thought. One thing is we need to try to catch the bottom.
What your guess? I am just going to ladder buys as it goes below 450..
450, 400,375, etc..

Something like that, I don't have exact numbers in mind, will go on a a feel relative to where we are in news cycle. Right now I don't plan on buying above 400 unless the news turns positive quickly.

Of course I could be totally wrong on everything and the stock never dips below 480 :) That's okay too

Annoyed that I missed out on 491 because I was sleeping :(

I can't bring myself to buy then when the marcos are up yet again. Tesla once again underperforming the macro's which makes me want to buy but I definitely think we have a hard down macro day at some point this week so logically, I should be able to pick up some shares in the 490 range before Friday.

Welp I reduced my position in my taxable account by 80%, so in total I've reduced total position by 93%.

A few reasons for this:

1) As I've stated I believe the market hasn't fully priced in cascading effects of virus induced recession.

2) Whether it be due to less production or reduced demand, it is hard to believe Q2 will be profitable. TSLA price is highly sensitive to quarter profitability for better or worse.

3) I always intended for my taxable account position to be sold and partially used for house down-payment (or reinvested as last tranches of a DCA if price goes down). There "may" be a future dip in Bay Area housing prices, so I need to be ready.

I think Battery / Investor day could initiate price appreciation (the reason I didn't sell in 900s was waiting for this) but I expect price dips before and after this.

I am still very bullish on TSLA medium and long term, I will DCA in most of my funds back in, obviously hoping to get a good deal on price while not stressing too much over this virus and lock-down effects
The virus hit Seattle and the San Francisco Bay area with a big wave early but it appears WA and CA are pretty successful in flattening the curve. West coast many be leading the nation getting out of this mess earlier than you predicted.

As has been the case forever, TSLA investors underestimate the importance of Energy products and services to SP valuation.

There's little money to be made selling cars in the grand scheme of things. It's when megapacks, powerwalls, and their ancillary services ramp that profitability really skyrockets. That now.

Sorry, going OT, but I have to reply.

I have to disagree, because:
A) No hospital is going to use 14 year old masks.
B) I don't buy in to the "I'm from the government and I'm here to help you" line. Look at pictures from China or South Korea. EVERYONE is wearing a mask. In my opinion, the government and hospitals were caught flat-footed by CV, with no stockpiles of PPE, so they HAVE to tell the public that masks aren't necessary so people don't hoard them. Once the dust has settled, books about CV in the US will be written, and the truth will come out. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I do have a right to protect the health of myself and my family. Many people are buying guns, I'm just wearing a mask at the grocery store.

As has been the case forever, TSLA investors underestimate the importance of Energy products and services to SP valuation.

There's little money to be made selling cars in the grand scheme of things. It's when megapacks, powerwalls, and their ancillary services ramp that profitability really skyrockets. That now.

i would love for that to be the case. I haven't seen a ton of evidence that the ramping up is actually currently happening, though. i'd love to be wrong.

• Disagree
Reactions: PlaidCPA
Sorry, going OT, but I have to reply.

I have to disagree, because:
A) No hospital is going to use 14 year old masks.
B) I don't buy in to the "I'm from the government and I'm here to help you" line. Look at pictures from China or South Korea. EVERYONE is wearing a mask. In my opinion, the government and hospitals were caught flat-footed by CV, with no stockpiles of PPE, so they HAVE to tell the public that masks aren't necessary so people don't hoard them. Once the dust has settled, books about CV in the US will be written, and the truth will come out. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I do have a right to protect the health of myself and my family. Many people are buying guns, I'm just wearing a mask at the grocery store.

Suggesting the CDC is purposely giving out bad advice that will help spread the virus is an extreme conspiracy theory with no evidence to support it.

Suggesting the CDC is purposely giving out bad advice that will help spread the virus is an extreme conspiracy theory with no evidence to support it.
Most likely this is a miscommunication. I believe they are really meaning that if you have hospital grade masks, then donate. I don't believe that there are a great number of these around except it California when people got them for the wildfires (and a few survivalists elsewhere who aren't likely to be persuaded to give them up).

Seems like the market is starting to figure out which companies will be ok in the long run, which will actually do well in the short run, and which to avoid. I'm hoping they realize Tesla is in the first two categories.

I do think the market in general is being far too optimistic but I hope I'm wrong.
It's more complicated than that. Masks are easily used wrong, and yes, it is definitely true that they were trying to have the public NOT buy them in order to save them for healthcare workers. We don't even have enough for doctors to use, let alone a bunch of goofballs wearing them incorrectly while sitting in their living rooms. Early on they definitely told people to not use them, now they are admitting that masks can help.

Most likely this is a miscommunication. I believe they are really meaning that if you have hospital grade masks, then donate. I don't believe that there are a great number of these around except it California when people got them for the wildfires (and a few survivalists elsewhere who aren't likely to be persuaded to give them up).

As a healthy person you are better off with safety glasses than goggles. Also just not touching your face helps a lot. There's no conspiracy or miscommunication. There is just sheer incompetence.

I bought 2000 masks from friends who had connections at hospitals in china with plans to donate to local hospitals. But they'll never get in the country.
Coronavirus: US Won't Allow Imports Of Millions Of KN95 Masks