Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I greatly respect @JRP3, but disagree. I can find lots of streams of tweets in Elon's history that many people called unhinged. He is playful and honest, which alarms some folks and endears him to others. Reasonable people can disagree on what is unhinged. Some said his posting a song he composed was pretty crazy for a large-cap CEO. (And Elon later agreed.)

That's the thing, I've been through most of it almost since the beginning and I've never seen anything on the same level from him. I've disagreed with him at times before but this is next level stuff.

If this rage can help get the factory open soon and we have a good shot at S&P 500 inclusion, I’m all for it. The current stock price is irrelevant if Tesla can get into the factory and start making cars for a profitable quarter.

Someone 80 pages ago (this morning) was concerned about TSLA employee stock plans and that he should care more for them. Au contraire mon frere, they are likely itching to get back to work. Recall, they came to work that day with Elon before the country sheriff stepped in.

He's gaining workforce loyalty here. And those worker are extremely aware of the stock battle and mission. We should give them more credit than to feel pity for them on short-term SP. I only wish I could work there! Today... let's go!

It seems like a bigger deal than it is. It doesn't change the long term value of the company, and it certainly cements the brand in peoples' minds - all publicity is good publicity. And I bet a lot of people who held calls will be switching to shares after this episode.
I don't think that is accurate at all. We live in the Tesla bubble and laugh off things. The broader public (and auto market) just hears "Elon says quarantines are fascist and thinks his stock should be lower."

Reality isn't all there is when it comes to marketing a product or the stock market. Perception is a huge component.

Reactions: Drumheller and JRP3
Well that didn't age well......after 3 minutes.
I held my shares and added when the share price dipped below 190. If I cared about money that much I would be out long long time ago.

I invested too much because Elon was my hero. He was my hero because he spent his fortune with his blood and sweat on fighting climate change and advancing space travel. His vision and fact based tactic pushed Tesla to become the shining city on the hill today.

I can also understand his message of re-open with protection and caution.

Unfortunately, he began to cherry-pick "data" to prove his point, the "data" widely criticized by respected doctors and statisticians. It's the same way climate change deniers cherry-picking data to prove their point. It's the exact way TSLAQ folks cherry-picking "data" to hurt Tesla's mission.

And then he begin his rant to "prove" that he does not care about money. But he should know that Tesla and the mission are bigger than himself. I don't think he should care about share holders all that much. But he is hurting employees and driving potential buyers away.

I am seriously in pain. I did not know that losing a hero cause multiple stage of grief too. And facing the biggest tax bill in my lifetime next year won't help.

As always, this will be just a speed bump on a long journey. To all who believe, it won't make a difference. And for some others, a small gift to pick up a few shares at a discount.

Personally, I used this as an opportunity to pick up a bunch of jan2022 500c @ $310 and a handful of May8 900c lottos for $1.65. Don't expect much from the lottos, but it's worth a shot for the price of a couple dinners that I haven't had over the past couple months.

We may have underestimated the level of pressure this lockdown is exerting on him.

Remember, the experiment here is taking an extreme workaholic and banning him from working for over a month, with no clear deadline.
Now he has to settle with only building the world's largest rocket.

The devil makes work for idle thumbs

Elon Musk is brilliant. He consistently produces and drives world-changing technologies. He is not normal, typical, nor average. Warts...you betcha! I wouldn’t trade him for anyone.

Here's to the crazy ones.
The misfits.
The rebels.
The troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things differently.

They're not fond of rules.
And they have no respect for the status quo.

You can quote them, disagree with them,
glorify or vilify them.
About the only thing you can't do is ignore them.

Because they change things.

They push the human race forward.

While some may see them as the crazy ones,
we see genius.

Because the people who are crazy enough to think
they can change the world, are the ones who do.
Why does this feel like Tom Petty lyrics?

i'm not sure anymore. i can't believe this is happening. there's no defending this.

The media is overwhelmingly painting Elon as a greedy billionaire intent on reopening the factory so he can make more money and get his bonus. I think this is his way of giving the middle finger and saying he doesn't care about the money, he doesn't care about the SP, he doesn't care about possessions.

Elon is sensitive with a big heart, I think he truly feels bad about how many people are suffering and without work right now. And yes, C19 is disrupting Tesla's mission toward transitioning to a more sustainable future, so that bothers him too.

People need to relax. If you can't handle gambling, don't play with the stock market. I'm still very content to hold TSLA, and still confident SP will be above $1000 by the end of this year if not sooner.

I held my shares and added when the share price dipped below 190. If I cared about money that much I would be out long long time ago.

I invested too much because Elon was my hero. He was my hero because he spent his fortune with his blood and sweat on fighting climate change and advancing space travel. His vision and fact based tactic pushed Tesla to become the shining city on the hill today.

I can also understand his message of re-open with protection and caution.

Unfortunately, he began to cherry-pick "data" to prove his point, the "data" widely criticized by respected doctors and statisticians. It's the same way climate change deniers cherry-picking data to prove their point. It's the exact way TSLAQ folks cherry-picking "data" to hurt Tesla's mission.

And then he begin his rant to "prove" that he does not care about money. But he should know that Tesla and the mission are bigger than himself. I don't think he should care about share holders all that much. But he is hurting employees and driving potential buyers away.

I am seriously in pain. I did not know that losing a hero cause multiple stage of grief too. And facing the biggest tax bill in my lifetime next year won't help.

Really well said man. I've been super nervous for a couple of days because I felt this coming. For me the biggest thing is just that he couldn't accept he was wrong on the severity of C19. So he leaned in to a 4chan moron level conspiracy take about a fake death toll to justify govt fascism. it's just completely unhinged.

I really wish he chose to make a smarter case that we can test+isolate to reopen economically and keep everyone safe. but his hubris just wouldn't let him accept that C19 was serious. he kept signal boosting more and more fringe level stuff from John McAfee to O Keefe about fake death tolls and govt fascism. The reason I was freaking out is I know once people start getting in to the conspiracy part of the internet how quickly they can fall down that pit.

It’s genuinely sad that he basically just went full YouTube/twitter conspiracy brain. His companies did good for the world and I do believe his primary driver wasn’t personal wealth, but none of that matters if you just lose your marbles. Hurting the same causes he allegedly cared so much about.

down less then amzn, for a short time
Amazon is down because the CEO guided for lower profits next quarter, not because he was having a pity party.

The media is overwhelmingly painting Elon as a greedy billionaire intent on reopening the factory so he can make more money and get his bonus. I think this is his way of giving the middle finger and saying he doesn't care about the money, he doesn't care about the SP, he doesn't care about possessions.

Elon is sensitive with a big heart, I think he truly feels bad about how many people are suffering and without work right now. And yes, C19 is disrupting Tesla's mission toward transitioning to a more sustainable future, so that bothers him too.

People need to relax. If you can't handle gambling, don't play with the stock market. I'm still very content to hold TSLA, and still confident SP will be above $1000 by the end of this year if not sooner.
If that is true he sent the message in a profoundly stupid manner.

I bought the dip. Thank you Elon, and good luck with the baby.

Re "hurting the employees" as someone mentioned above, I'm not so sure about that. I don't know how it works at Tesla, but with the ESOP (employee stock ownership plan) where I last worked, employees would be granted some number of shares each year as a percentage of their salary and based on the stock price at the time of the grant. An employee would accumilate more shares with a lower stock price.