Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon's tweet has no insider or financial info related to Tesla. It's simply an opinion that any person can have. The SEC case against the tweet would be far fetched. Again, the opinion that SP is high has no hint of Tesla insider info whatsoever.

The terms of the SEC agreement make it clear that Elon can't tweet anything *material* about Tesla without approval. Material means something Elon knows that an outsider wouldn't know.

Agree with you there, and I held through as well, but on the other hand I don't know many people that would argue that was an essential element to the strategy that got us out the other end. At best, we tolerate these outbursts because of the positive contributions in other areas. I personally don't think we need to tolerate this anymore. This company has a deep bench and one hell of a growth trajectory laid out for years to come.

These “outbursts” put Elon on the maps. The pot smoking probably increased his followers by a lot. I think that video is Joe Rogan’s most watched ever.

If people can’t handle these tweets or other things, they really should do the following:

1. Turn on computer.
2. Buy a few shares.
3. Turn off the computer.
4. Go for a walk. Ignore the other stuff if they can’t handle it. It’s all noise and really doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things.

abridging the freedom of speech
There are already limits to freedom of speech.

Are we really studying early 1900s psychology now?

"According to Freud's model of the psyche, the id is the primitive and instinctual part of the mind that contains sexual and aggressive drives and hidden memories, the super-ego operates as a moral conscience, and the ego is the realistic part that mediates between the desires of the id and the super-ego."​

BTW, you're wrong. Yes, my major was BSc Psych. But don't let it bruise your super-ego.
Obviously I was using the general lay-person definition of ego, but thank you for the terminology correction.

Not buying any of that, not even a little. He's definitely lost it to some degree. No state looking for a GF bid is worried in the least about any "liberal ring".

When "Republican" means blocking a free market for direct-sales, alternatives are made to have that "ring". He needs to create that "Freedom" pressure, that can come from voters, or the jobless, up thru legislators who will ultimately determine the GF package; legislators currently tied to things, like dealer lobbies. Then, there's "China" and how many of the fossil sponsored would happily fold Tesla into that swelling narrative. IMO, he's trying to call out and work on this group, through Twitter.

Whether Tesla customers, or elected officials, or simply the free ad-model Tesla's been kludging for years, I see plenty of room for calculation (miss-calculation). What I don't see is irrationality.

Last edited:
Why drag investors into this all? Even employees are investors too.

Why not put out a detailed plan with whatever criteria and try to make this a realistic discussion about Fremont opening up? How does tanking the stock on purpose do that?

instead he pushes out conspiracy theories. Wasn't one of them that medical professionals purposefully intubating people for money?

This is exactly what I’ve been trying to say. None of this makes any sense and only imperils his position as CEO.

Well that didn't age well......after 3 minutes.
Yup, sold at the exact bottom lol.

"Well I guess hard times flushed the chumps"
-- Ulyss3s Everett McGill​

4206551-15405825048641155.png

Cheers!

@Prunesquallor So Hoss, when we pickin' up Fremont an moving it to Houston? ;)

It saddens me to inform that I also have got out of TSLA. I stayed put when the stock was on its way down to 360. I laughed at shorts and CNBC for their feeble attempts at detracting the company. I defended Elon's skepticism of our current response to COVID and still do. But, for me to see him deliberately tank it to accomplish nothing, it hurt. I sold because I felt many other long-term investors were doing the same and that hurt so much more than the typical manipulation. The biggest problem is there was just so, so many ways he could get his point across and yet he chose the most damaging one to the people who have his back through this entire thing. I love Elon Musk but I'm deeply hurt by what he chose to do today.

Last edited:
Because it's false, and kind of a dumb thing to say really.

I still own the exact same number of shares as I did before the drop (will buy more). I didn’t buy on margin. No different than buying something else that fluctuates in price. None of it truly matters until you want to convert to cash. I certainly don’t celebrate or freak when my home value changes. Doesn’t matter till you sell.

I held my shares and added when the share price dipped below 190. If I cared about money that much I would be out long long time ago.

I invested too much because Elon was my hero. He was my hero because he spent his fortune with his blood and sweat on fighting climate change and advancing space travel. His vision and fact based tactic pushed Tesla to become the shining city on the hill today.

I can also understand his message of re-open with protection and caution.

Unfortunately, he began to cherry-pick "data" to prove his point, the "data" widely criticized by respected doctors and statisticians. It's the same way climate change deniers cherry-picking data to prove their point. It's the exact way TSLAQ folks cherry-picking "data" to hurt Tesla's mission.

And then he begin his rant to "prove" that he does not care about money. But he should know that Tesla and the mission are bigger than himself. I don't think he should care about share holders all that much. But he is hurting employees and driving potential buyers away.

I am seriously in pain. I did not know that losing a hero cause multiple stage of grief too. And facing the biggest tax bill in my lifetime next year won't help.

"the "data" widely criticized by respected doctors and statisticians"

hhm..therein lies the problem. No one has called this COVID breakout right, not the political class, not Fauci, Birx, global epidemiologist forecasters, respected Doctors (btw: put 100 "respected" doctors in a room and you won't find universal agreement on much of anything), no one!

Having said that, Elon's tweet no doubt will bring legal troubles onto his doorstep again (and the Board too).....

So you are way up even with this price drop. Just 6 months ago, it was in the 300’s.

Absolutely! I also sold at 700 and rebought around 380. I'm so high. [hehe]

I spent lunch with my wife reading off Elon's Tweets while laughing, explained how much I made buying the bounces off 700, and explained that, while this is not good, we'll be able to pick up more long term shares on the cheap.

Yes, I do think Elon's gone off the rails here.
Yes I did sell my short term stuff at 730 earlier that I was expecting to sell for 900 on Monday.
Yes I will continue to buy more the lower it goes.
If it goes to 420 I'd be completely psyched as I know it'll get to 4200.
When it's at 4200 I'll look back at this day and still say "Elon done fvcked up"

TLSA longs lost nothing unless they sold or gambled on options. Why is that so difficult to understand?
Because it's false, and kind of a dumb thing to say really.

Then tell the IRS you lost money when the stock dipped. Those dumbos think you have to sell the stock to claim a loss or gain.

You know what’s hilarious?
I actually find these outbursts from so called “Tesla investors” more unhinged than what Elon tweets. You all freak out over a few words in a tweet. I can’t imagine how you’d freak out over a real problem affecting production and tens of thousands of employees. Yes, the stock price for the employees dropped today. Big whoop. I doubt too many were planning on selling today.

The stock price will do what it’s going to do. The long run is what counts. Elon doesn’t give a squat about day traders because they are ONLY in it to make money. Nothing about the mission or long term goals. Do you honestly think Rob Barren is going to sell because of this? Unlikely. Just another day that will be forgotten. Just like how all of you have somehow forgotten where the stock price was just 6 months ago.

All you chicken littles REALLY need to look at yourself in the mirror.
Exactly, Bravo.
Everybody's all butt hurt because the SP took a dive because the CEO went off script and tweeted the star spangled banner along with his honest opinion of the stock price. BFD. Sure, anybody else doing this would get 0, Zero, Nada, retweets so we go into panic mode cause, well, he should know better.
I would be a sh!tload more concerned if he tweeted something that advocated cruelty to animals, white supremacy, going to war for oil, racism, nuke a third world country, something that actually affects someone.
And now for your listening entertainment.
This too shall pass.jpg

Last edited:
FWIW One of my most angsty moments as an investor was wwhen I bought some shares at 385, just after the funding secured thing I think (or just before... i dunno :D), and yeah...that was a LONG and very painful year or so I had to hold those shares, mostly at a big loss until... we get to today where they are worth just under double what I paid for them.

I bought 16 shares today. I wish I'd waited a few hours to get them at a phat discount, but in any case, I have zero worries that I wont be looking at a $1,000 stock price by septemberish.

When Tesla roll out the next big update to autopilot, and we get model Y's trundling out of GF1 and GF3, and battery day shows us the fuiture of battery tech, does anybody seriously think they will be saying 'but his tweets!'?

Absolutely! I also sold at 700 and rebought around 380. I'm so high. [hehe]

I spent lunch with my wife reading off Elon's Tweets while laughing, explained how much I made buying the bounces off 700, and explained that, while this is not good, we'll be able to pick up more long term shares on the cheap.

Yes, I do think Elon's gone off the rails here.
Yes I did sell my short term stuff at 730 earlier that I was expecting to sell for 900 on Monday.
Yes I will continue to buy more the lower it goes.
If it goes to 420 I'd be completely psyched as I know it'll get to 4200.
When it's at 4200 I'll look back at this day and still say "Elon done fvcked up"

He hasn’t gone off the rails if you look at what’s important to him. He doesn’t care about day traders. Rightly so. I’m looking at this as yet another buying opportunity. I have sold at times in the past only to regret a few months later. Now I just buy since I’m a long way off of wanting to sell for retirement.