Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i.e. What affect would a 20 percent increase in energy density have on a Model S with a 400 mile range?
Reading this paper, Tesla likely won't increase the rated range with this new hybrid metallic lithium anode. What you WILL get is an "Emergency Energy Reserve" of about 20%. Say an extra 50 miles in a 250 mile rge 3SR+ or 80 miles on a 400 mi rge Model S LR+.

The paper notes that the "colombic efficency" for the metallic lithuim portion is a dreadful 99.6% which means that effectively it will be consumed after 100 deep cycles. But if you limit usage in software to an "Emergency Reserve", then you've got about 100 "get me out of a bind" punch tickets in your EV.

Instead of needing to call AAA to tow your car, you just get on your 'App', and unlock from 50 to 80 extra miles of emergency range (for a *small* fee if Tesla is smart). As long as you don't routinely run your bty down past 80% these 100 shots of "reserve energy" should last a full 10 to 20 years or the life of your car.

This technolgy will END range anxiety, and provide a nice revenue stream for Tesla. WAY COOL!

Cheers!

Last edited:
I actually think Noah Werner Musk as posited earlier seems more likely...but, my guess:

X as the Greek character Chi (pronounced Kai)
Æ character seems to be named "Ash" based on what I found
A-12 OXCART spawned the SR-71 Blackbird
Also found a lesser known concept, the A-12 Avenger

So, maybe: Kai-Ash Blackbird Musk ?
Or, Kai-Ash Avenger Musk as partner to Grimes' digital image WarNymph?

So, maybe: C-ash Musk, as in, yo daddy made a Billion on ur birfdey... :D

Reading this paper, Tesla likely won't increase the rated range with this new hybrid metallic lithium anode. What you WILL get is an "Emergency Energy Reserve" of about 20%. Say an extra 50 miles in a 250 mile rge 3SR+ or 80 miles on a 400 mi rge Model S LR+.

The paper notes that the "colombic efficency" for the metallic lithuim portion is a dreadful 99.6% which means that effectively it will be consumed after 100 deep cycles. But if you limit usage in software to an "Emergency Reserve", then you've got about 100 "get me out of a bind" punch tickets in your EV. Then instead of having to call AAA to tow your car, you just get on your 'App', and unlock 50 extra miles of range (for a *small* fee if Tesla is smart). As long as you don't routinely run your bty down past 80% these 100 shots of "reserve energy" should last the full 10 or 20 years or the life of the car.

This technolgy will END range anxiety, and provide a nice revenue stream for Tesla. WAY COOL!

Cheers!

However, with a dual-salt electrolyte and applied mechanical pressure optimized for lithium metal cycling, hybrid cells achieved over 150 full (100% utilization) cycles before falling below 80% capacity with a CE of 99.6% for lithium metal plating on graphite.

Might be slightly better than that if you don't use the full 50 miles each time, but I think you have nailed the purpose.

EDIT: I also see where Fred Lambert came up with the annual holiday idea. If it is 150 shots at the full 50 miles, you could use it 15 times on your annual holiday, and have it last 10 years..

Last edited:
Stock Option Max Pain

It was 790 on ~Thursday last week, 785 over the weekend when I looked, and today it continues to be 785.

It's also a weekly options expiration, thus relatively low volume, and thus relatively low incentive to shape the share price to 785.

And there's some question whether this site calculate max pain correctly. Opricot (opricot.com) has been mentioned as another source. For some reason I'm blocked from that site, so I haven't been able to compare the two. I mention the discrepancy so that people can investigate the two and decide for themselves which (if either) they would rather trust.

The point about this week being a weekly option expiration holds. I think we'd expect nearly an order of magnitude more money on a monthly expiration, and thus a lot more incentive to get the price right. Or that the market has a stronger pull (without resorting to a market manipulation description) towards max pain when there's more money involved.

Hertz is going Bankrupt. At some point Tesla should consider going into the rental industry, and they will need service/cleaning for their robotaxi fleet. Not saying that Hertz would be an ideal acquisition but the other car rental companies are also struggling and with one main player out there is more cake for the rest of the players.

Hertz Prepares to File Bankruptcy If Monday Deadline Is Missed
Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

I could see Tesla buying a car rental service, replacing their vehicles with 3/Y and having chargers at every parking spot. I for one would always rent a Tesla if they were available at the airport... When? I guess 2022 would be a good starting point, so maybe buy the company 1 year earlier and prepare the transition.

I actually think Noah Werner Musk as posited earlier seems more likely...but, my guess:

X as the Greek character Chi (pronounced Kai)
Æ character seems to be named "Ash" based on what I found
A-12 OXCART spawned the SR-71 Blackbird
Also found a lesser known concept, the A-12 Avenger

So, maybe: Kai-Ash Blackbird Musk ?
Or, Kai-Ash Avenger Musk as partner to Grimes' digital image WarNymph?
As a Dane, I’d just like to say that “ash” has absolutely no business being anywhere near Æ. Æ is pronounced more like the number 8 minus half the “i” and the “th” part. It’s still not correct, but I don’t think there’s anything closer in english.

The paper notes that the "colombic efficency" for the metallic lithuim portion is a dreadful 99.6% which means that effectively it will be consumed after 100 deep cycles. But if you limit usage in software to an "Emergency Reserve", then you've got about 100 "get me out of a bind" punch tickets in your EV.

Instead of needing to call AAA to tow your car, you just get on your 'App', and unlock from 50 to 80 extra miles of emergency range (for a *small* fee if Tesla is smart). As long as you don't routinely run your bty down past 80% these 100 shots of "reserve energy" should last a full 10 to 20 years or the life of your car.

Cheers!
So why would an emergency backup system be of any use vs just give customers the 50-80 miles? Why carry extra dead weight with crap discharge cycles that will be used once in a blue moon? Doesn't sound very efficient. I always thought range extenders or hybrids are just a waste when one system is rarely used. The Chevy volts engine is dead weight if one choose to go over 50 miles twice a year.

So why would an emergency backup system be of any use vs just give customers the 50-80 miles? Why carry extra dead weight with crap discharge cycles that will be used once in a blue moon? Doesn't sound very efficient. I always thought range extenders or hybrids are just a waste when one system is rarely used. The Chevy volts engine is dead weight if one choose to go over 50 miles twice a year.

It is mostly additional energy density, so not much additional weight...

I also think it can be used sparingly on holidays...

Perhaps this will not make the cut at Battery Day, perhaps it needs a bit more R&D.

Li-ion Mode - 530 Wh/L Li-metal Mode - 890 Wh/L

This is Wh/L not Wh/kg...

It is a lithium metal plating on a graphite anode, hard to guess how much weight that adds.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: wipster
o_O Them buying a stake in Tesla doesn't give Tesla any money. Or are suggesting that Tesla do a private capital raise? Besides the potential to increase their cash hoard, if they sold their stake, what would Google, Apple, and Amazon get from buying this stake?

You’re responding to an 8-month-old post that @Artful Dodger dug up for reasons unknown. The suggestion was to do a capital raise & get the marketing benefit of support from companies like Google, Apple, and Amazon. This was presented as an alternative to spending money on advertising, which some posters were arguing in favor of eight months ago.

As events played out, Tesla raised $2.3 billion in February, which puts them in an excellent position to weather not just a recession, but a pandemic.

What would Google, Apple, and Amazon have gotten for buying their stake? A chance to more than 3x their investment in a mere eight months (SP was 231 when I posted the suggestion).

How would these fossil automakers PAY for those 2-3% shares? That's $3B while all the old guard are facing bankrupcy. This was never going to happen, fantasy world set aside.

Tesla doesn't neet a show of support from the legacy auto industry: What THEY need to do is ADAPT or DIE, a choice they've been putting off for more than 20 years.

So be it.

Back in September, when I posted this, they could have paid cash. That would have been an additional $3 billion cash on Tesla’s balance sheet and $3 billion less cash on legacy automakers’ balance sheets.

At any rate, the legacy automakers will not adapt, and they will die.

Yes, but this one goes to ELEVEN! ;)

Because if you used the extra 20% capacity every time, your battery would be worn out after 150 cycles. o_O

The numbers for UK new car registrations in April just came out, and… it’s not pretty. A 97.3% drop in total registrations Y-o-Y. Which makes sense, considering the whole country was under lockdown.

But here’s a silver lining:
B9E19E55-8305-45C7-80CD-F860CFD1B771.jpeg

The cool thing about it is that the body that reports these numbers monthly typically refers to the Model 3 — and all Tesla models in general — as “Other”, due to Tesla not being one of its members. It looks like they were finally forced to name the Model 3 on this list since it would have been particularly weird to start a list with “Other”.

It seems (so far, from what I checked) that the media focuses on the huge drop in total registrations when reporting on this news, completely ignoring the best sellers ranking, which… is understandable given the situation. It is, however, a clear sign of what’s to (hopefully) come in the future: EVs slowly taking over.

Both Toyota (NUMMI sale) and Daimler (Smart EV drivetrain) took early large stakes in TSLA , which they both soon sold for modest gains.

If they'd held, they'd be 20x right now, and climbing fast instead of sinking quickly. :p
They took a just under 10% stake in Tesla, which in today's money is c.EUR12bn - or 1/3 of Daimler's market cap