Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Maybe FUD by omission, like not mentioning Tesla's safety precautions. (I don't have a Post subscription to read the piece, and don't want one.) Or Reich was influenced by all the previous media FUD. That's the trouble with disinformation: well-meaning people get misled.

As a critic of corporations, Bob maybe needs more skepticism toward corporate media.

Last edited:
Don't read the blog, read the Governor's order. It excluded auto manufacturing. The only manufacturing being allowed is that which supports the retail stores that were allowed to open with curbside pickup.

Tesla service center is a retail store and they have curb side delivery of their cars. So what is allowed again? Oh yeah manufacturing that supports such retail stores. You said it

States have great power to curb individual rights during a pandemic. But they have to be reasonable to the pandemic. The courts will ultimately decide. But, highly unlikely Elon will win this case. No local District Court judge is gonna over-rule the local health officer.
Don’t underestimate Elon. It looks like the county health officer did to her peril. So did the Pedo guy - how did that court case turn out?

Agree. It really sounds like Tesla is being singled out for some reason. It makes me kinda suspicious that this "interim health officer" has been brainwashed/compromised by TSLAQ and is doing their evil bidding.

The blog post seems to indicate other manufacturing has been allowed to return back to normal in accordance with guidelines, and in spite of Tesla doing a TON in order to ensure employee safety, for some weird reason they're being singled out and not allowed to resume operations. What other reason could there be?

The issue was never about Tesla providing a safe working environment to its employees.

This was clear from the Zoom town hall meeting on Friday where the county official stated they are "waiting to see the result" of the lifting of construction projects and "certain outdoor businesses", before they would "start talking with Tesla".

The real reason why they can't open more broadly is that Alameda county is unprepared to reopen: only 28 daily tests per 100,000 residents--far below the goal of 200 tests. And, they haven't secured a 30-day supply of PPE for medical staff.

So, this "waiting to see result" appears to just be a tactic by the county official to buy more time.

Hmm, have to check with Adobe, Amazon, AMD, Cisco, Apple, Dell, Google, IBM, National Instruments, and NVDIA and see if they have been able to find any.

That's just Austin.
Talent jumping from powerful tech company to form a dynamic startup.
That's just California.
The bulk of the above companies (including Tesla) were birthed in California. AMD begat NVDIA from one of California's many business-unfriendly rules: non-compete clauses are not enforceable.
In Texas they are.
I can see that growing/maintaining the Fremont factory is beneficial for neither Tesla nor California.
Deer Creek is. I hope it stays.
The housing crisis continues in NorCal, maybe home prices in Stockton, Livermore, Modesto will take a breather now. Austin is looking good!
I might start looking for some rental prop around North Loop in Austin. East Austin is a bit pricey.

TSLA is better off manufacturing in a cheaper, environmentally unrestricted locale. Higher margins, and less costly oversight will yield more EVs sooner. That's good IMO.

States have great power to curb individual rights during a pandemic. But they have to be reasonable to the pandemic. The courts will ultimately decide. But, highly unlikely Elon will win this case. No local District Court judge is gonna over-rule the local health officer.
I see no authority for the government to set aside the bill of rights for a pandemic. Where does this government power come from?

I love the leadership displayed here!

The only thing that has me scratching my head is how do you file a lawsuit on May 9th, a Saturday? In Washington, that is simply not possible.

Oh, one other head-scratcher. I've never seen a tweet with so many words! ;)
It forces them to work on the weekend.
“He could have spent time enjoying his new baby and given me and my staff a couple more days and his plant would have been open on May 18” -Scott Haggerty, the county supervisor for the district in Alameda County

Translation: he could have given us 10 more days to vacation

View attachment 540266 Well, it’s nice to see TMC’s neural net / AI advertising engine is working well. I literally said to my wife : Elon has balls when I read the letter he wrote and boom. This popped up as an ad on the screen. Bravo!!!

*AI still needs some training for context.

OK, I know this is OT - but have to tell you a story which almost has me convinced the phones and computers are all always listening and feeding into AI. Happened a couple of years back, but freaked me out enough to remember it well

I was meeting a colleague of mine who had recently gotten married and returned from her honeymoon. We were meeting in my office, and just as small talk we talked about her wedding and I admired her engagement ring with a huge diamond as well as her wedding ring. A few minutes of small talk before talking about work at which point I opened up google chrome to search for something. On the main google page, and every page that loaded thereafter on the right hand side were advertisements for diamond rings!! Different vendors and multiple ads, all with pictures of diamond rings. My colleague asked if I had been searching for diamond rings or any rings - nope I had not. I swear to you I had not searched for any type of ring on any search engine on any electronic device before that conversation. It just freaked us out, did the computer actually know what we were talking about before that and pick up on it? I mentioned this to another friend - who promptly told me that I should switch off Siri or any other voice recognition program on all my electronic devices! He is convinced that all the phones, computers, smart watches and other electronic devices are always listening in and tracking everything we do or say!!

Obviously, I didn't bother following his advice, but it does make me wonder.....

He is for shock-and-awe.

Entirely disagree. People react with shock and awe simply because they don’t think like him and they can’t conceive of the possibilities for the world’s future. It never occurs to them that everything could be looked at differently. That a person could appear to walk so audaciously through life.

I find him to be most pragmatic. It does not shock and awe me that he’d sell his homes and most possessions to put that capital to better use. Or that he’d fight for his company, his employees, and the whole country for that matter with spit and vinegar. He’s proud to be an American. Or that money is just a means to an end for him. Or that he took a puff from a blunt and declared, ‘Meh, doesn’t really do anything for me and certainly I don’t find it to be conducive to productivity.’ Or even that he sometimes has moments of overwhelming emotion.

“He could have spent time enjoying his new baby and given me and my staff a couple more days and his plant would have been open on May 18” -Scott Haggerty, the county supervisor for the district in Alameda County

That lawsuit is going to look better and better the more they talk. Essentially they gave Tesla mixed guidance, only once the lawsuit was administered did they pull a date out, they helped out in no way preparing Tesla to return to work, offered no benefits to those without work and expected guidance to be followed because they said so.

Entirely disagree. People react with shock and awe simply because they don’t think like him and they can’t conceive of the possibilities for the world’s future. It never occurs to them that everything could be looked at differently. That a person could appear to walk so audaciously through life.

I find him to be most pragmatic. It does not shock and awe me that he’d sell his homes and most possessions to put that capital to better use. Or that he’d fight for his company, his employees, and the whole country for that matter with spit and vinegar. He’s proud to be an American. Or that money is just a means to an end for him. Or that he took a puff from a blunt and declared, ‘Meh, doesn’t really do anything for me and certainly I don’t find it to be conducive to productivity.’ Or even that he sometimes has moments of overwhelming emotion.

Exactly, as he explained on Rogan's podcast: "do I want to spend my time designing and building my dream house or working on the Mars mission?"

The issue was never about Tesla providing a safe working environment to its employees.

This was clear from the Zoom town hall meeting on Friday where the county official stated they are "waiting to see the result" of the lifting of construction projects and "certain outdoor businesses", before they would "start talking with Tesla".

The real reason why they can't open more broadly is that Alameda county is unprepared to reopen: only 28 daily tests per 100,000 residents--far below the goal of 200 tests. And, they haven't secured a 30-day supply of PPE for medical staff.

So, this "waiting to see result" appears to just be a tactic by the county official to buy more time.

That would make sense, except Tesla could've helped locate tests, as others here said. How could everyone in the health department fail to hear about Tesla locating ventilators when asked?

Let's face it Californians, Fremont has really no more room to grow so future projects were going to have to go elsewhere. I don't see the plant closing up anytime soon and losing that production capability. Covid has been bad enough. Anyway someone mentioned about the stamping press being left over there from the NUMMI days. I thought when we did a tour hearing it had been brought in and took quite the effort to move and assemble it. Anyone know it's history?

I was quite impressed by the Back to Work Playbook. Apparently Alameda Health wasn't if they saw it which I'm guessing they did.

There was no press line left behind. They are worth far too much money to not sell. Indeed, they can be worth more than Tesla paid for the whole building.

The big, old press line was bought and brought in in pieces and reassembled, as were the additional new press lines.

Did Scott actually say that? If so, do you have a link to it?