Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interestingly, Cathie shaved no TSLA today despite its big jump upward and large percentage of her ETF's holdings.

upload_2020-7-2_17-32-46.png

I don’t have that kind of time on my hands. I’m starting the @Chunky Jr. burrito diet tomorrow. Got a month’s worth being flown in in the morning. No idea why @RobStark is waiting for 17 COVID free days. He’ll be dead before that happens, as will I. Gotta live it up now.

I like my chances of living 4 more years.

Til then

upload_2020-7-2_15-42-18.png

Reactions: UncaNed
I bet Tesla sells a few Roadsters this weekend. :)

As well as S3XY, Cybertruck, Solar Panels, Solar Roofs...

Q3 will be incredible.

My wife and I will be discussing when to upgrade her RAV4 Hybrid to a Model Y :)
I'll be very cross with you if the answer isn't "in the next 5 minutes".
Interestingly, Cathie shaved no TSLA today despite its big jump upward and large percentage of her ETF's holdings.

View attachment 559816
I assume that's because she expects a big bump in the near term. Aside from rebalancing she has been quite clear about selling when it's up and buying back in on drops because it's a volatile stock.

What a day to be mostly offline!

I've heard about several buying cells and making battery packs.

Factories where they make the actual cells I know about two:

Northvolt in Sweden: https://northvolt.com/
Northvolt plan to start production in 2021.
Both BMW and Volkswagen have invested in the company.

Freyr in Norway: FREYR Battery Norway | Frontpage
Freyr plan to start production in 2023.
They recently completed their financing.

Anybody know of other cell factories in Europe?

BASF is building a facility about 100km South of GF3/Berlin:

BASF picks German state of Brandenburg as battery materials production site

Cheers!

A few years back...

Me: "My dear wife, we've done well with our $TSLA investment, we've gone from $70k to $140k, but things are getting rough with the M3 ramp and the short sellers, and this, and that, OK, maybe we lose it all"

Wife: "It's OK, it was a gamble anyway. It's late, come to bed" *

Now:

Me: "Hey, we finished the day with $1,035,000!!"
Wife: "OK, so come to bed then" *

* it's 22:50 here now, so this is not a "hey sexy, let's do it!" kind of scenario... :(

My Beer Brains is Sayin - TMC - Tesla Millionaire's Club ;)

Jim Cramer just discussed high stock prices (TSLA, AMZN, SHOP) and why they don’t split anymore. According to Cramer, big institutional investors don’t want to pay higher per-share trading fees after a split. Says fractional shares are the answer.

Have to admit that before all the split discussion over the last couple days, I was on the no-split side. But I've now been convinced that a split is probably a net positive.

Jim Cramer just discussed high stock prices (TSLA, AMZN, SHOP) and why they don’t split anymore. According to Cramer, big institutional investors don’t want to pay higher per-share trading fees after a split. Says fractional shares are the answer.

Have to admit that before all the split discussion over the last couple days, I was on the no-split side. But I've now been convinced that a split is probably a net positive.

Of course Cramer's advice was mainly for novice investors with minimal savings, not so much for Tesla, Inc. Actually, he's provided another good argument for a TSLA stock split, as you may have suspected.

Those hedge funds that manipulatively swing trade TSLA throughout market sessions or as options are expiring, may have to look for more lucrative fodder, if fees for trading TSLA are greatly increased due to a significant stock split.

It also may inspire other institutions such as ARK to sit tight on all of their TSLA shares, rather than swing in and out at the peripheries.

Last edited:
According to Cramer, big institutional investors don’t want to pay higher per-share trading fees after a split.
Hmm, that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. My broker charges $9.95 USD per trade, regardless of the number of shares traded. Shirley large 'tutes are using IB or similar with $1/trade fees.

The problem with a 10:1 share split is it effectively increases the cost of Options by 10x as well, since each Options contract represents 100 shares and has a fix cost at the brokerage. In my case, buying a $20/contract now means about 20 cents per share overhead to trade options. After a 10:1 split, that'd be equivalent to a fee of $2/share. Good for brokers, not so good for retail investors.

I think there's a middle ground, but I'm not sure what that is. 10x does seem like the most likely though for a number of reasons, doesn't it?

Cheers!

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1278726408966152192

This quote shows once again Elon and Tesla are focused on the problems that matter.

My guess is this is as hard as landing a rocket on a drone ship.

I posted some videos in the Battery Day thread, my impressions where:-
  • LiOH is needed for high nickel batteries
  • One known source of LiOH comes from hard rock mined in Australia and processed in China.
  • Lithium Carbonate (Li2CO3) seems to be easier to make with multiple sources.
  • I'm not sure if there is more than one source of LiOH.
  • Mining in the US and shipping to China for processing doesn't make a lot of sense.
Tesla may or may not say something about this at Battery Day, but my hunch is they might have a quiet R&D project going, this is a hard problem, but an important problem, the kind of problem they usually take on.

If they are doing R&D this is possibly a 5-7 year project, I doubt they will be demonstrating anything in this area at Battery Day.

I read somewhere that there is lithium on Mars. Now I see how Tesla, SpaceX and Boring Company fit together!

I knew it was too good to be true....

Son: Dad, Tesla is at $1212
Me: Yeah..aren't you glad you invested your $$, instead of blowing it on something useless?
Son: Yeah...im so glad i did that
Me: Good job son...remember what i said...investing is a marathon and not a sprint
Son: I remember....so.....how much more does tesla have to go up before i can sell it and buy that new Playstation 5 coming out this holiday season?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well PS5 will come with the ability to kill robot animals & dinosaurs with flaming arrows in post-apocalyptic San Francisco locations! You just have to agree with that!? Right? ;)

edit: correct location

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Nocturnal
I have to admit Anton Wahlman works hard for his money.

Because Q2 sales for GM were down 34%, Toyota down 35%, Fiat Chrysler down 39%, etc. etc. (according to Loup Ventures), Anton was forced to hunt hither and yon in search of something to compare favorably to Tesla. But by God, he found it and Seeking Alpha published it.

TSLA: Tesla Unit Sales Fall 5% From Last Year, Unlike GM's Heavy-Duty Pickup Trucks
11:22 am, Thu, Jul. 2, 2020, by Anton Wahlman

If I were to click on this treatise (which I didn't; all the wisdom is likely in the headline), I might comment to him that heavy-duty pickup trucks are one of the few markets where Tesla does not yet compete... and that in all markets where Tesla does compete, Tesla is killing GM, contrary to Anton's articles about Chevy Bolt before Model 3 was out of the gate.

But alas, Anton's finely honed cherrypicking skills, his boundless energy, and his total immunity to embarrassment, are too much for mere facts and logic. In 2030, Seeking Alpha will likely publish his articles such as:

Disneyland Space Mountain Tickets Outsell SpaceX Tickets to Mars

Last edited:
I'll be very cross with you if the answer isn't "in the next 5 minutes".

I assume that's because she expects a big bump in the near term. Aside from rebalancing she has been quite clear about selling when it's up and buying back in on drops because it's a volatile stock.

I'm with Ark on this one - I see little in the way of headwinds between here and Q2 EC and there is still room to run even after that if we get a solidly profitable quarter. One tail risk is another factory shutdown pending California's COVID situation. Unlikely, but possible.