Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got another fun metric for you... I figure I've spent about ~30 minutes/day researching Tesla over the past 10 years. That's ~1,800 hours of research. Divided my stock appreciation (I don't trade much, Holding) by those 1,800 hours to get my hourly rate. Its a big number, >5X my regular job. Fun with inventive KPI's.

The difference is my real job is work. Learning about where Tesla is headed and hanging out with you folks,,,,well that's just fun.

I've got another fun metric for you... I figure I've spent about ~30 minutes/day researching Tesla over the past 10 years. That's ~1,800 hours of research. Divided my stock appreciation (I don't trade much, Holding) by those 1,800 hours to get my hourly rate. Its a big number, >5X my regular job. Fun with inventive KPI's.
Based on an hour a day I have earned over $1000 USD per day , yehaaaa!

112.png

Up $112 and not even a 10% increase :eek::eek::eek:

I wish you the best!.

Most people don't realize the huge threat regulatory bodies pose to solar growth. It's gonna be a long, hard slog; state by state. Unlike with automobiles, a hands-down compelling product won't be enough to win.

Solar is the final and necessary step to cutting off the head of fossil fuels. It will also be the most difficult and painstaking.
Solar and many other renewables are indeed a necessary step to stopping the use of polluting fuels. But I think the most important step is in the storage of this energy and that's where Tesla can play the largest role. I would love to see self generating neighborhoods in addition to individual houses who can get completely off the grid. The southwest region in our country is a prime spot for creation of these.

One thing's for sure, change is coming and we need to make sure government is an ally, not an impediment, going forward.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average is not weighted by valuation. Single shares of each of the 30 components are added and then divided by a number. A stock with a really high price would skew the DJIA by too much. Hence, Amazon.com is not a DJIA stock. Tesla would likely need to split significantly in order to receive consideration for entry into the DJIA.
Is this also how S&P is done? If so, could TSLA soon be too much skew for the same reasons?

Yes, and that change will move even more quickly with individuals like me who can now retire and dedicate ourselves to the mission.

The Arizona Corporation Commission has made it illegal to have solar co-ops. Moving forward I'm going to work to overturn those regulations and get as much renewables installed in the state as possible. I will aim for Tesla to be the main energy provider here in the state.
I applaud your dedication and wish you full speed ahead (battery powered of course) going forward!

A fascinating metric. I have more posts than you. :)
My favorite metric is adding my TSLA gains to the purchase price of my Model 3. Before taking delivery my largest stake in Tesla was maybe 10k. I almost doubled that which was awesome, but after driving this car I realized the potential and started to go in heavily.

They say buying new car is a terrible investment. For me it was probably the best investment of my life. (I suppose #2 was giving my ex half my assets before Tesla blew up)

Is this also how S&P is done? If so, could TSLA soon be too much skew for the same reasons?
S&P is done by valuation, which is why a few big stocks can move the entire index.

S&P is float market cap weighted so larger market cap stocks have more impact by design.
The S&P divisor is adjusted when stocks are added/ removed to keep the index at the same number during the transition.

Apple and Google (along with others) are much larger in S&P.

EDIT: mongo beat me by seconds. Kudos! Nevertheless I'll retain this post.

No. Unlike the DJIA, the S&P 500 is calculated by valuation (market capitalization).

Investopedia: https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/05/sp500calculation.asp#:~:text=The individual market weights are,cap was approximately $23 trillion.

Excerpt:

The individual market weights are calculated by dividing the free-float market capitalization of a company in the index by the total market capitalization of the index.

Seriously, what kind of raggedy fund uses Twitter posts as investment presentation?
https://www.valuewalk.com/2020/06/stanphyl-capital-short-thesis-tesla/
I tried to warn people this morning about this fake rally. Now 2 hours of gain have been wiped out from their account. /s
I want to meet the people stupid enough to give money to people with this kind of track record.

Since inception on June 1, 2011 the fund is up 43.0% net while the S&P 500 is up 178.6% and the Russell 2000 is up 93.0%. Since inception the fund has compounded at 4.0% net annually vs 11.9% for the S&P 500 and 7.5% for the Russell 2000.

Solar and many other renewables are indeed a necessary step to stopping the use of polluting fuels. But I think the most important step is in the storage of this energy and that's where Tesla can play the largest role. I would love to see self generating neighborhoods in addition to individual houses who can get completely off the grid. The southwest region in our country is a prime spot for creation of these.

One thing's for sure, change is coming and we need to make sure government is an ally, not an impediment, going forward.
You and I completely agree with each other.

Let's keep an eye on Elon's attitude toward public utilities going forward. Might surprise some people.

I assume we have warped out of any BB or MaxPain territory. Is there any kind of indicator on where this is headed? (Other than "parabolic").

The Upper-BB (1209.012) is now above Thursday's Closing SP, so call the SP a day ahead:

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2020-07-06.14-45.png

edit: or are we headed for a panic manipulation like last Feb?

With this volume and sentiment, any big move on TSLA is going to get gobbled up eagerly. Shortzes were able to eke out their -2% from the Intraday High, and they burnt money doing that today.

I think the fight now will be to keep TSLA below +10% for the day, which is the only kind of pyrrhic victory shortzes can have now.

Cheers!

Last edited:
EDIT: mongo beat me by seconds. Kudos! Nevertheless I'll retain this post.

No. Unlike the DJIA, the S&P 500 is calculated by valuation (market capitalization).

Investopedia: https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/05/sp500calculation.asp#:~:text=The individual market weights are,cap was approximately $23 trillion.

Excerpt:

The individual market weights are calculated by dividing the free-float market capitalization of a company in the index by the total market capitalization of the index.
That was an interesting read, thx. No fear.

What we need is to change this idea we need to "win over government" to "be our ally" and lead the way. Decentralized sustainability is inherently dangerous to corrupt centralized governments and therefore will ALWAYS deal with headwinds from those in power.

Governments(and utilities that semi-control them at state level) can play a roll in scaling renewable energy infrastructure, but that role MUST be as our opinion-less servant. The way it was intended to be.

Reactions: jerry33